Uni help- USyd vs UTS BIT Co-op (1 Viewer)

rsgmelon

HSC
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!

This is all just hypothetical and whether I do get another offer but I would love some input or advice from anyone that has been in a similar position or experience in either course.

I’m currently deciding between USyd to study a Bachelor of Advanced Computing and Bachelor of Commerce or go into the UTS BIT Co-op.

I haven’t received an offer from UTS but they said they would contact me whether I will for the next round. If I don’t that’s fine but if I do, I think I’d have some difficulty choosing. I mean there’s so many reasons to like Usyd such as its prestige, campus/social life and I’d really like to study commerce. On the other hand I would love to go UTS because of the vast opportunities such as the internships placements in the course. I’m really not sure! What would be better in the long term? I know there’s a lot of things to consider so any help is appreciated.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
IMO, if the choice is between a full co-op scholarship and regular course, you should go for the co-op. It just so happens that the UTS BIT program also has very strong industry connections, cohort and alumni network.

The BIT course goes for 3 years and you'll graduate with a year of experience across two companies and either a job lined up or be in a good position for grad applications. If you really want to, you could then look into doing an MBA or other masters down the line if you're still keen on commerce or a prestigious university. For example, there was a BIT graduate I know of who is now studying an MBA part time at an Ivy League uni in the US.

However, if you're mostly interested in the commerce side of things rather than IT, then it would probably be best to pursue that path rather than IT. Maybe @Katsumi has something to add?

sida1049

HSC
I echo @brent012 in that a full co-op scholarship is an opportunity you should go for if you can. Don't worry about prestige/social-life. While I love it here, I think you can have a just as good time anywhere else.

But regarding your degree choice at USYD, my personal advice is to instead go for B. Science/B. Advanced Studies, where you major in the corresponding major under your science degree as you would have under B. Advanced Computing, and use your B. Advanced Studies to complete the commerce major if you want. My reasoning is simply that you'd complete your undergrad one year earlier, plus the degree combination I recommended is way more flexible; less compulsory units from either of your advanced computing or commerce degrees, meaning you can invest more credit points into the courses you actually want to do instead of bludgy "future of business" units or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)