Uni - how long do you study per day (1 Viewer)

Constantine

HSC
I think it's varies, it really depends on your course.
Some are so much more demanding.

atm I'm only doing about maximum three hours per day but I know it will increase soon.
Does anyone have any idea what is the standard amount of hours during normal weeks as compared to exam periods for courses like med/law?

HSC
There are heaps of factors which decide this!

I'm doing Actuarial studies and Commerce and have been studying heaps! don't know exact number but one hour after arriving home from uni, i start studying till about midnight or 1am. This happens everyday, with weekends even being more hours.

BUT this is because my lecturers aren't that great. For one of my courses, the lecturer has a strong accent, isn't able to clearly explain things and goes through everything quickly. First ever lecture and he finishes the first chapter in the textbook (30 pages). Another one of my courses, the two lecturers are alright but sometimes they too fail to explain. So have to go home, self learn, go through the lecture again and understand.

D94

HSC
N/A
Maybe a full 1 hour per day. Some WAM above 80.

Time doesn't correlate to marks. I have friends who do 3 times the amount of study that I do but I'm usually a grade above them. It's about studying efficiently and effectively. Also, knowing what will most likely be examined so you aren't spending time on 'less important' topics.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
There are heaps of factors which decide this!

I'm doing Actuarial studies and Commerce and have been studying heaps! don't know exact number but one hour after arriving home from uni, i start studying till about midnight or 1am. This happens everyday, with weekends even being more hours.

BUT this is because my lecturers aren't that great. For one of my courses, the lecturer has a strong accent, isn't able to clearly explain things and goes through everything quickly. First ever lecture and he finishes the first chapter in the textbook (30 pages). Another one of my courses, the two lecturers are alright but sometimes they too fail to explain. So have to go home, self learn, go through the lecture again and understand.
Welcome to uni mate. Unlike the hsc, the judgement call is with you! How do you maximise your time use? In my first sem one of my econ lectures were completely useless so didnt attend any after week 2. Studied independently and shared notes with a mate. We both ended up ranking the unit. Whereas plenty went to every lecture and tute and didn't get a D.

On the other hand, I've only missed 3ish law tutes so far out of the 40 plus tutes I've had.

Also i know plenty of you guys get bogged down into getting HDs. I don't recall thinking about marks at all until i started uni and got well into it. I focused on meeting people and getting a good group of support. Turned out alrite.

Without collaboration it is almost impossible to get good marks, work part time etc etc.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
So far it seems like people don't study too much? I've been doing work/study the majority of the day. Well I'm at uni 5 days a week anyway, so on weekdays I try to get in at least like 2 - 4 hours after uni (depends how much stuff I had on). On weekends it's usually all day on and off, like today I think I got in around 5 - 7 hours, something around that. I just know I've been studying since morning with breaks and I still am doing some things at the moment. Do you think I can get a credit average across my units if I keep this up? I know math will drag me down, I will be lucky to pass. But the other subjects I'm hoping to get at least a distinction and 2 credits to hopefully pull it up to credit average.
Hey, what do you study? Curious! :)

hungry

HSC
If you don't get a HD, or at least 80 plus, average i will be surprised. Assuming this is a science degree?

If maths is weak point, find some friends who are guns in maths and make them explain things to you!
yeah it's science (combined with nursing), but yeah I'll be happy with just a pass in maths. I think 20% of marks you can get from this online homework thing.. I'm not that sure but I have practically unlimited attempts at the questions so at least there's basically 20% there. Making friends is not my strong point either. :p

D94

HSC
N/A
yeah it's science (combined with nursing), but yeah I'll be happy with just a pass in maths. I think 20% of marks you can get from this online homework thing.. I'm not that sure but I have practically unlimited attempts at the questions so at least there's basically 20% there. Making friends is not my strong point either. :p
You need to think the bigger picture if you want to pursue a professional job. What if future graduate or internship applications require all your marks to be a Credit or higher? You would be kicking yourself by letting yourself think a Pass is sufficient.

photastic

HSC
Chucked an all nighter and still haven't finished maths hw fml

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
combined degree in science and nursing. :) For science I'm majoring computer science, though I've got a bio and psych unit as well.
Wonderful! Seems full on! Good luck! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty_ink

HSC
Depends on how motivated I'm feeling on that particular day.

Tbh, I haven't even finished last week's homework, so that says something.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
so far

0 hrs studied

snake lyfe

hungry

HSC
You need to think the bigger picture if you want to pursue a professional job. What if future graduate or internship applications require all your marks to be a Credit or higher? You would be kicking yourself by letting yourself think a Pass is sufficient.
You are right and while usually I do set myself high standards, I really don't believe I am able to get more than a pass. Though I am trying my best and putting in a lot of study. I just hired a tutor and start next week so hopefully I can improve and aim towards at least a credit.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
credit... i wish haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)