Uni interviews and piercings (1 Viewer)

XPIOTOS

HSC
I can't have piercings at my school (they're really strict on uniform), but I plan on getting a couple of piercings - lip and eyebrow - after I graduate. I'm going to apply to live at Queen's as long as I get into Melbourne, but I'm worried that having metal in my face would count against me at the interview. Do they mind piercings like that? Are they less likely to accept me if I do? As much as I want to get them, I would definitely go without if it meant my chances of getting in would be better.

I'm also hoping to study biomed. Firstly does anyone know if there's an interview for that, and would they want me to take any piercings out for that?

Anybody know?

HSC
Honestly school isn't like uni at all. At uni we are all adults (mostly) and they can't really tell you what you can and can't wear, there isn't a uniform you have to conform to and so no rules about jewellery or hair colour or anything. So basically, they shouldn't discriminate against you at all for having piercings. That said, it is possible that they may let it influence them in choosing people to go into Queens college because they want people who aren't going to be trouble, and unfortunatly some things like facial piercings still have this 'trouble-maker' stigma attached to them - who knows why? but in some peoples mind, everyone with facial piercings is bad news. Therefore they might be a little less likely to favour you over someone else.

but don't take my word on it, i don't go to college and don't have any friends that applied so i don't really know much about the application process. Basically there are sooooo many different individual styles at uni that it would be impossible for a college to keep out any it didn't like, so you probably won't have a problem.

Can't help on the biomed question, but i know that medecin has an interview...but biomed is different so i'm not sure...

That's not really helpful...

XPIOTOS

HSC
Haha it helped more than you know. And that's exactly what I'm worried about - I'm not expecting a uniform or anything like that, but I don't want to present as someone who would cause trouble. I really am not that sort of person (quite the opposite) so I don't want the interviewer to think that I am. I'm just concerned that I would be less likely to be accepted if I had piercings because of the way facial piercings are seen.

I guess it's not even something I really have to think about until after November, and even then I might wait until after admission interviews and such anyway.

XPIOTOS

HSC
DownInFlames said:
Could you not take the piercings out for the interview? It won't be that obvious if there aren't chunks of metal sticking out of your face.
True. It depends on when I decide to get the piercings and when the interviews are. I can't really get the piercings until after my last exam which is mid-Nov. If the interviews are in Dec (and I think they are) I could have trouble with taking them out because it probably would not be enough time to heal. I could get clear retainers to put in, which I'm sure would make it much more acceptable.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I would have thought that biomed is a BSc so it doesn't need an interview?

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Why not just get pierced after you've had your interview/s?

XPIOTOS

HSC
Because I'm impatient. Simple.

But really the other reason I asked was because I wasn't sure if having piercings while I'm at a college would make anyone unhappy? I mean... I doubt it... but just making sure?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Wait. Seriously, just hold off the face metal for now.
You want to present as clean and studious an image to the interviewers - even if they know that they shouldn't be influenced by piercings, it would probably do so anyway. Image is a huge part of how people interpret you. Your classmates' opinion is one thing, and they probably won't care, but these people are assessing you essentially as a person, so make sure you're what they want.

So it's some holes in your face right now, or a possibly better chance at getting into college.
As for being IN college, I imagine it would take a lot more for them to kick you out than to knock back your application.

XPIOTOS

HSC
Hmm I think you're probably right.

And thank you. That's basically exactly the sort of comment I've been waiting for.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
a friend of mine had her clit pierced, and she still went well in her uni interview, so it doesn't really matter if you have piercings

circusmind

HSC
Isn't the whole idea of getting piercings like that to convey an edgy persona?

(it doesn't seem to work for you)

XPIOTOS

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Please, please, please tell me you are being sarcastic (albeit in a rather poor fashion).
Yes! Of course I was. God.

And I'm not really trying to convey anything. I like piercings.
There may also a little bit of rebellion there, from certain expectations. And no, I'm not particularly "edgy" at all. It's just something different that I've wanted to do for a long time.

JJBearPaw

HSC
I love piercings. I'm not conciously trying to say anything...I just love them. I'm getting mine done after school too.

Do private colleges care? Or are they similar to Uni?

I reckon you should wait till after the interview as well, just on the safe side. Haha, but I would be impatient too :)

stazi said:
a friend of mine had her clit pierced, and she still went well in her uni interview, so it doesn't really matter if you have piercings
HAHAHA Classic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)