• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni Is Easier If Old School Tie Is Public (2 Viewers)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Public school students who leave year 12 with lower marks than their private school rivals overtake them academically once they hit the "level playing field" of university.

A study of 12,500 first-year students from Melbourne's Monash University found that students from comprehensive schools outshone those from government selective, independent and Catholic schools.

The study supports findings of similar studies from Western Australia and Britain and, according to its co-author, Ian Dobson, had implications for the "under-funding" of public schools and private and selective schools' claims to offer an extra-value education.

Dr Dobson said private students had an advantage come exam time because of the resources "devoted to their education at secondary school, but this advantage evaporates at university".

"Once on a level playing field, students from non-selective government schools tend to do better," he wrote in Secondary Schooling, Tertiary Entry Ranks and University Performance.

Between 2000 and 2003, he and his colleague, Eric Skuja, tracked full-time students in their first year at Monash, Australia's largest university. In many cases, the public school students had entrance scores five marks lower than their private and selective school rivals.

Dr Hobson, who is senior research fellow at Monash's Centre for Population and Urban Research, said further research was needed to answer why private school students lost their advantage at university.

"One wonders why students trained in such competitive environments failed to bring this competitive spirit to their university studies," he said.

Researchers previously thought independent schools "coached less able students to over-achievement" in leaving exams and that students adept at surviving the public system developed a "greater independence" for learning.

Initially, Dr Dobson could not believe the findings. A number of Australian studies have definitively shown that independent school students do better in exams like the HSC than Catholic students, who in turn outperform public school students. "By the end of first year university this pecking order had been neatly reversed," the study said.

Dr Dobson said the results were pertinent to the performance of the 31 selective and partially selective schools in NSW. "To some extent, selective government schools, with better resourcing and a culture of academic excellence, are akin to schools in the independent sector."

The findings mirrors the findings of two studies from Western Australia. One, from the University of Western Australia, found that public school students who left for university with lower exam marks than their private rivals later outperformed Catholic students, who in turn beat those from independent schools.

In Britain, students from government-funded schools made similar leaps at university, leading to calls for affirmative action to get government school students into university.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...school-students/2005/04/05/1112489491760.html

This thread is going to suck, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'd tend to agree actually. I've seen a few of my classmates bomb out of uni because they went through their HSC's memorising essays and not actually doing any independent thinking. They'd get a 99.7, get into uni and then find themselves buggered when they are expected to actually think for themselves.

santaslayer

HSC
That explains why there are so many unknown/silent/secretive nerds around uni...

Fuck, I'm screwed.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Shuter said:
Wasn't this posted several months ago?
Well seeing as how it was published on smh.com.au on April 6...no.
And I'm all for seeing that the private schoolers getting a hardtime at uni :p (can you tell I was a public schooled kid?).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I went to a private school and I didn't get any advantage out of it in the HSC. I was completely independent, in fact most of my teachers were useless.

Although certain people, mainly the highest ranked, would be constantly speaking to teachers, and doing things like handing in 17 drafts for assessments when they were only meant to hand in 1.

So good for them, they got a UAI of 99+, but I got 76 and still got in the course I wanted. And they aren't going to do as well in uni without all the help.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I just memorized essays too. Wasnt hard.
But I wont comment on uni untill I see all the red scribbles over my essays and big fat writting saying "See Me Immediatly" plastered over it after the break.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Iron woman said:
I just memorized essays too. Wasnt hard.
But I wont comment on uni untill I see all the red scribbles over my essays and big fat writting saying "See Me Immediatly" plastered over it after the break.
Mine will say 'this is plagarism' 'you didn't reference right' 'you did the wrong thing' 'you fail' and stuff like that.

doe

HSC
N/A
the same things were being said when i was doing my hsc (97/98)

in public schools if you want to goof off, you can mostly get a away with it, because the teachers dont have the time to hold hands. the public school system almost darwinian.

it is a shame though, i think uai's are waaaay too high. i think the corporate world is starting to agree. i have read articles in the afr where the people doing graduate recruitment interviews probably wouldnt have passed them if they were on the other side of the desk. there was also another article for people questioning the value of accounting degrees (prefering more general degrees with a shorter, accounting specific course) and also complaining the cutoff for commerce was too high.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
doe said:
the same things were being said when i was doing my hsc (97/98)

in public schools if you want to goof off, you can mostly get a away with it, because the teachers dont have the time to hold hands. the public school system almost darwinian.

it is a shame though, i think uai's are waaaay too high. i think the corporate world is starting to agree. i have read articles in the afr where the people doing graduate recruitment interviews probably wouldnt have passed them if they were on the other side of the desk. there was also another article for people questioning the value of accounting degrees (prefering more general degrees with a shorter, accounting specific course) and also complaining the cutoff for commerce was too high.
Public school kids are the biggest bludgers. I always see them going home early.

rumour

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Public school kids are the biggest bludgers. I always see them going home early.
I wonder if they will do better than you in uni or not.........

doe

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
just run them down in your ferrari

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yes i've got some other facts for u guys....

More private school students end up with high income jobs.
More private school students get into uni (percentage wise).

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
a study of 12500 at one university doesn't necessarily represent everyone, especially when they are first years and a lot of them are still adapting to the university environment. also, 12500 students from which courses? what faculties? what sort of assessment criterias were looked at?
i find these headlines just a little bit too convenient

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Toodulu said:
a study of 12500 at one university doesn't necessarily represent everyone, especially when they are first years and a lot of them are still adapting to the university environment. also, 12500 students from which courses? what faculties? what sort of assessment criterias were looked at?
i find these headlines just a little bit too convenient
Silence Miss Rich-Pants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)