Uni: Laptop or Desktop PC? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
As said in the title, would a laptop or desktop be better in uni? I plan to do a science-related degree so I imagine having both would be beneficial, however I can only have one. What would you recommend?

Flop21

HSC
You cannot take your desktop to uni... so laptop.

My laptop has been an essential honestly. I currently just use it for every day use as well. If you get a good one you won't really need a desktop for every day use (I use the adobe products on my laptop too).

Once I decide I want to spend the money, then I'll get a desktop which I think will be more of a luxury than a necessity.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Flop studies computer science so keep that in mind, she would obviously prioritize a laptop above others. I myself am not sure whether or not to get a laptop for next year or whether to use pen and paper.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
regardless of what you choose I highly suggest having pen and paper with you for your degree

turntaker

HSC
if you are not a gamer or use other CPU intensive programs and don't need a workstation, then just get 1 good laptop.
Otherwise spend most of your money on a good workstation and get a budget laptop for taking notes and browsing.

Personally id rather have a cheaper laptop and good PC

boastus

HSC
N/A
me still highschoo but me guess science degree not gunna need yu to do heavy cpu, gpu, ram, hardware shit tasks

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Is there a way to make it so I never see a thing this guy says ever again?^ I lost brain cells from all that

boastus

HSC
N/A
Is there a way to make it so I never see a thing this guy says ever again?^ I lost brain cells from all that
why u h8 me bruh? just writing down my thinking abilities but back to the point, cpu gpu ram only if u using power software lik matlab. cpu coz makes graphs and shit nicer, probably need gtx 700+. gpu for procession calculations like each sec how many add/minus. finally ram for running these power software need a lot of Raw Annihliated Memory. cool name ya?

gl 360quickscopeonthechestbai

boastus

HSC
N/A
You cannot take your desktop to uni... so laptop.

My laptop has been an essential honestly. I currently just use it for every day use as well. If you get a good one you won't really need a desktop for every day use (I use the adobe products on my laptop too).

Once I decide I want to spend the money, then I'll get a desktop which I think will be more of a luxury than a necessity.
mattstaker said u do computer science. is it tru and wat laptop u got bruh? mabe lighten us on how yu made the decision of buying the laptop

like why did u buy it, short and long term fulfillings, just detailed decision explanation ty1080noscopebai

leehuan

HSC
You spelt IQ dropped wrong.

(Idk why I made this post tbh.)

Flop21

HSC
mattstaker said u do computer science. is it tru and wat laptop u got bruh? mabe lighten us on how yu made the decision of buying the laptop

like why did u buy it, short and long term fulfillings, just detailed decision explanation ty1080noscopebai
I bought it for high school. Honestly didn't need it (had the gov school one). I'll be honest, I kind of just got it because everyone else got new laptops when they let us BYO devices.

I had a kind of shitty desktop before this, and still have it.

It's been crazy helpful for uni since I just grab it and go to lectures, take notes, download lecture slides, google info while in class.

The thing with laptops, you're buying them for the mobility. The ability to be able to whip out a computer almost anywhere. If you want that, get one. Otherwise, you could survive without one if you wanted to do that. There's great comp labs at UNSW, and probably most other unis. And if you like paper and pen for notes (which is always good for math), then you could survive without one. I'm not one of those people, I like taking notes on my laptop and for the previous above reasons.

I've ended up just using my laptop constantly because it's decent for everything I do, and faster than my shitty desktop. I don't game right now, so don't haven't need a desktop recently.

I will eventually set up a space at home home and build a custom PC so I can get a larger screen, get an ergonomic keyboard and setup, have a bigger hard drive/storage, and maybe play games on. But I'd rather have a decent laptop purely for the mobility currently and for the past semester (I've also been moving from home to home so better to have a laptop).

So TLDR: get one if you want mobility. If not, don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)