• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni life? (1 Viewer)

thedemonpk3r

HSC
Hey people... Just a few questions you guys could probably answer for me since I'm confused as to how the uni life goes.

What do you guys actually do between breaks in lectures?
What is the style I should take on in regards to note taking? Like just pull out a laptop and start typing like a mad man, or write on pads with the old fashioned pad and pen.
And can some one freaking tell me what are the essentials to take to uni? Like I'm so confused as to what to take... A pencil case with shit in it..? Like I'm so lost, I don't wanna look like a sad child and embarrass myself... Hahaha

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Q1. Lunch? I tend to go to Parma, Laneway, Courtyard Cafe, Manning and Taste - occassionally I'll grab lunch from unibros. I also participate in club and society activities from time to time. Or catch up with work (hahaha - who am I kidding?). Or I hang out with mates.
Q2. I like my pen and paper. Sinks in better. But the laptop is convenient for classes with a lot of slides to go through.
Q3. Laptop, pens, paper, printed notes/coursebooks, food, and a labcoat/goggles/dissecting kit (depends on the class). Sometimes I'll bring in the prescribed textbook but it's an effort and a half.

thedemonpk3r

HSC
How can I know what the prescribed textbook is for each unit? Is it compulsory to have in class? Do lecturers tend to get pissed off if you have a computer screen open most of the lesson?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Like I'm so lost, I don't wanna look like a sad child and embarrass myself... Hahaha
Dw, just turn up and you'll be doing better than 50% of enrolled students (exaggerated, but you get the point ;)). As you attend uni in the first few days you'll learn what you feel is comfortable with regard to every question you asked. You can just rock up to uni with just 1 book and 1 pen, or you might want to have a bag with a laptop, tablet, etc.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
How can I know what the prescribed textbook is for each unit? Is it compulsory to have in class? Do lecturers tend to get pissed off if you have a computer screen open most of the lesson?
They usually tell you this during the intro lectures. Some of the textbooks are recommended and some are absolutely needed. So wait until you are absolutely sure you need it for the course (Week 1 or 2) before you buy. If you are curious to know what the textbooks are for what course, search here: http://www.coop.com.au/textlist/search

No not really, you're in a lecture room full of people so lecturers don't care if you have computer screen or not just as long as you don't have the volume up and are disturbing anybody.

Trust me, uni life is more flexible/chillax compared to school.

Last edited:

thedemonpk3r

HSC
They usually tell you this during the intro lectures. Some of the textbooks are recommended and some are absolutely needed. So wait until you are absolutely sure you need it for the course (Week 1 or 2) before you buy. If you are curious to know what the textbooks are for what course, search here: http://www.coop.com.au/textlist/search

No not really, you're in a lecture room full of people so lecturers don't care if you have computer screen or not just as long as you don't have the volume up and are disturbing anybody.

Trust me, uni life is more flexible/chillax compared to school.
Can you turn up late to lectures? Reason I'm asking is because I would find it almost impossible to bolt from one end of uni to another to catch up to the beginning of each lecture.... Cause Ive got lectures that are in different buildings, and the lectures are from 9-10 then 10-11 am like wtf

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Yes you can, though you may not find seats - so long you don't rock up halfway through the lecture and disturb other students. Classes tend to finish five minutes before the hour and start five minutes after the hour giving you about ten minutes to get from class to class.

Bingobango

HSC
Hey people... Just a few questions you guys could probably answer for me since I'm confused as to how the uni life goes.

What do you guys actually do between breaks in lectures?
What is the style I should take on in regards to note taking? Like just pull out a laptop and start typing like a mad man, or write on pads with the old fashioned pad and pen.
And can some one freaking tell me what are the essentials to take to uni? Like I'm so confused as to what to take... A pencil case with shit in it..? Like I'm so lost, I don't wanna look like a sad child and embarrass myself... Hahaha
1) Toga parties.

2) Don't bother taking notes. Write notes afterwards if you need them, but in the lecture, just try to suck out the conceptual juices. I've never met anyone who actually went back and read their notes, so if you're not going to touch them again, the only reason to write them in the first place is because writing them helps your learning, but how is it going to help your learning when you're missing half the lecture by typing it? Sit there and learn, my friend.

Essentials. If you're hardcore, you don't even need to bring anything. Don't bring a pencil case lol. Despite not taking notes, I still bring a notebook and a pen, because I sometimes like to make lists during breaks or something like that. Paper is always a good resource to have. Lunch is also good unless your Dad owns a fucking oil company because goddamn have you ever tried to feed yourself four days a week outside of home??? Wtf. Most people just bring their laptops. Wait for your first lectures, it's a fucking ocean of Apple. You don't really need much other than whatever you feel like you want at uni. No one gives a fuck what you do.

pHyRe

HSC
1) Toga parties.

2) Don't bother taking notes. Write notes afterwards if you need them, but in the lecture, just try to suck out the conceptual juices. I've never met anyone who actually went back and read their notes, so if you're not going to touch them again, the only reason to write them in the first place is because writing them helps your learning, but how is it going to help your learning when you're missing half the lecture by typing it? Sit there and learn, my friend.

Essentials. If you're hardcore, you don't even need to bring anything. Don't bring a pencil case lol. Despite not taking notes, I still bring a notebook and a pen, because I sometimes like to make lists during breaks or something like that. Paper is always a good resource to have. Lunch is also good unless your Dad owns a fucking oil company because goddamn have you ever tried to feed yourself four days a week outside of home??? Wtf. Most people just bring their laptops. Wait for your first lectures, it's a fucking ocean of Apple. You don't really need much other than whatever you feel like you want at uni. No one gives a fuck what you do.
lol what? of course people read their notes...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)