Uni Marks.. (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
Are marks in uni distributed judging by ur cohort?
like to get a "Pass" do i have to beat a certain number of ppl i am competing with?
or is there like a set score i have to achieve to obstain a "Pass", a set score for a "Distinction"... etc..?
or is it something else?

sunny

meh.
HSC

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
Are marks in uni distributed judging by ur cohort?
like to get a "Pass" do i have to beat a certain number of ppl i am competing with?
or is there like a set score i have to achieve to obstain a "Pass", a set score for a "Distinction"... etc..?
or is it something else?
I think it varies... but you are definitely not competing with your peers anymore. There have been cases of scaling the marks when everyone in the course is failling. This is common in Med (I have heard) and they did it for one of our assessments because literally everyone failed.
So I think it is safe to say 50 is your pass line, unless it's a really hard exam but then you're all in the same boat.

ohne

HSC
Some of the larger courses tend to mark on a bell curve where only a certain number receive high distinction, distinction etc. This is not very common in smaller courses.

gman03

HSC
launcher169 said:
i thought that if you made enough marks to get above 50 and passed the finals you get a pass
In some course you can get an unsatisfactory fail even if you have a grade of over 50.

sunny

meh.
HSC
launcher169 said:
damn thats harsh....i mean over 50 should = pass
No, this is called a hurdle requirement - it stops people from getting all their marks easily from assignments, then not attending the exams because they have already scored over 50.

Other times they will use a harmonic mean to get your final mark to have the same effect.

FinalFantasy

HSC
sunny said:
No, this is called a hurdle requirement - it stops people from getting all their marks easily from assignments, then not attending the exams because they have already scored over 50.

Other times they will use a harmonic mean to get your final mark to have the same effect.
hey can't dey just let ppl who dun wana attend the exams don't attend, and the ppl who wana do good go way ahead of dem?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Then there is no point in them going to uni at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)