Uni marks (1 Viewer)

leeam

HSC
what could i expect to get with HSC/VCE marks of the A-A+ range, with an overall score of 85 (approximately 80's i think, in the UAI system-im from vic)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Your marks in highschool don't automatically give you 'access' to any particular range of marks in uni. The mark you get in a subject at uni depends on your ability and how much work you put into it.

leeam

HSC
yeah 85
i mean, on average-i read that "guide" thing to uni, with the average comparisons-how its harder to get a "D" in uni than in highschool (haha i actually thought that meant a D like in highschool, not a distinction lol)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I've found some people with low UAI's who have come from TAFE have the ability to get D's and HD's and some people who got 90+ as their UAI and are barely getting P's and C's in their courses, so really it depends on the effort you put into the course. You'll find that uni is a lot different than school and the same study strategies may not work. Also, if you're not interested in the subjects then you probably won't do as well.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Ok congratulations on your offer. Anyway since you'll be studying in Victoria I'm guessing that the marks you get in uni will be raw marks. I've heard of marks being scaled, but I'm fairly sure that it usually doesn't happen in Victorian Universities.

Just work hard and it should pay off.

Adam

HSC
85% hard work
15% natural smartness

For engineering/science subjects at least. I got an 85 UAI, but I can still beat my friend who got 99.75 in some subjects, just as my other friend who hasn't even got a UAI and finished school 6 years ago can smash me.

leeam

HSC
Adam said:
85% hard work
15% natural smartness

For engineering/science subjects at least. I got an 85 UAI, but I can still beat my friend who got 99.75 in some subjects, just as my other friend who hasn't even got a UAI and finished school 6 years ago can smash me.

i know exatly what u mean-bt im only doing an arts degree-WHICH I ENJOY lol. Thats where the ENTER/UAI or whatever can stuff up-people are not numbers, nor are they as smart as the "rank" they get!

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Definition: UAI & ENTER etc means how much work you had put in your final year of study compared to others.

leeam

HSC
yeah so u can learn from the experience and put in more work at uni, to end up with similar, or better marks!! hopefully-if you're willing to put in the hard yards. i know i am--so sick of doing nothing

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The ENTER and the UAI are meant to be the best single predictors of success at first-year university studies.

With 85, you should be able to obtain mid to high credits by just doing what they ask you to and no more. Distinctions always require at least some effort. But they're certainly not beyond you. As jasee said, it can vary quite a lot.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
And yet with my <80.00 UAI I managed several HDs and Ds, pulling a med transfer to boot.

Gotta love predictions. :)

gman03

HSC
i think for an art degree it is more crucial you learn the stuff and know how and when apply it. e.g. linguistic, philosophy. These area/techniques requires a person to use them frequently to get the most out of it. I think in the end when you pass all your degree requirements and get your degree they wouldn't really care about the marks anymore, esp arts degree. Able to demonstrate afterwards is more important.

imo uni marks are important when you want a transfer or applying jobs which are academic driven (e.g. a maths professor, leading-edge scientific position). otherwise experience speaks for itself after you earn your degree.

enjoy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
leeam said:
what could i expect to get with HSC/VCE marks of the A-A+ range, with an overall score of 85 (approximately 80's i think, in the UAI system-im from vic)
How do marks in the A/A+ range result in an ENTER of 85?:/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)