Uni Preferences and Scholarships (1 Viewer)

cohnny

HSC
I'm specifically asking about the Merit and Entry scholarship at Usyd but this could apply to a number of others...

As far as I'm aware not all successful applicants for the scholarship have been notified yet. If you were hoping to get this scholarship would USYD have to be your first preference by tomorrow?

It seems strange that they don't notify everybody by now, because getting a scholarship at USYD or a certain university would really encourage you to choose it... so does anyone have any info about this?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think it'd have to be first. If you haven't received notification by today, I think you did not get a first round offer. However, they haven't notified any applicants yet due to the fact that some applicants may get second round offers. :)

cohnny

HSC
I didn't actually apply for this myself but am wondering for other people...
by 1st round offer does that mean you got the scholarship?
and would second round offer work in conjunction with the whole waiting for a 2nd round spot in your course at the uni?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This is first round offers for the course you applied into, not scholarships. Some courses don't fill up at the ATAR cut-off or maybe because some kids decline their offers so they have more rounds of offers until the course is completely full.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
First round offer =/= scholarship.

A few days after the ATARs were released, if you got a high enough ATAR and were shortlisted (shortlist is ordered in ATAR order) you would've gotten an email offering you a merit or entry scholarship. If any of these people rejected, then a new email would be sent to the person next on that list and so on and so forth.

Now the UNIs were closed from some date around Xmas until the 4th of January so if anyone rejected it during that period of time they couldn't act on it until 2 days ago.

If you were next on that list and someone did reject it during that time, you would've gotten a call a few days ago or today. And no your preference for USyd did not need to be 1st this time. So long as you were shortlisted for a scholarship and you are next on the list if someone rejects then you'll get a call offering it to you.

I can confirm this because i got a call for merit (had previously been offered entry but rejected) from USyd this morning (which woke me up >.<" ). I however rejected so some other lucky person on the list would've gotten a call today :)

If they run out of time and no one accepts, i suppose it'd be carried on until 2nd round offers :)

superdan7

HSC
Question:

If you were shortlisted, recieved an atar of 98.5 (and have not been notified of anything yet) - would your chances of being offered a scholarship (for arts) be hindered if you put Combined Law as your first preference - rather than a direct arts program as your first preference ( International studies - which is otherwise my second preference)?

Or would they only give you a scholarship for arts if it were your first preference?

Thanks

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Question:

If you were shortlisted, recieved an atar of 98.5 (and have not been notified of anything yet) - would your chances of being offered a scholarship (for arts) be hindered if you put Combined Law as your first preference - rather than a direct arts program as your first preference ( International studies - which is otherwise my second preference)?

Or would they only give you a scholarship for arts if it were your first preference?

Thanks
Nope. My friend got merit for putting Combined Law first (she applied through Arts).

I applied through Arts as well. I have Law first. I haven't received a letter yet (I was shortlisted).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)