• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni probe reveals internet cheats (1 Viewer)

T

timbk2

dont cheat boys and girls..

who here has cheated or plagurised in their time at uni? Have you been caught? will you do it again?

-----------------------------------------------

Uni probe reveals internet cheats
Correspondents in Sydney
MARCH 21, 2005

HUNDREDS of Australian university students are suspected of using the internet to commit plagiarism.

An investigation into plagiarism in universities has revealed cut-and-pasting from the internet has become so common that spy software such as Turnitin is regularly used to catch cheats.
The Daily Telegraph newspaper says Sydney University faculty reports obtained under Freedom of Information show that 73 veterinary students face an inquiry over copying or fabricating assignments.

The university's faculty of health sciences registered 80 cases of cheating and the faculty of agriculture, food and natural resources reported 39 investigations.

There were another 29 students investigated in the faculty of economics, but the report does not say in which year the plagiarism allegedly occurred.

The newspaper says plagiarism from the internet has become so easy that 25 Australian universities have purchased licences to use the anti-plagiarism system, Turnitin, in an attempt to stamp out the problem.

AAP

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
nup, haven't resorted to plagiarism yet and never will.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i have, i have lost half of the max marks for some assignment cuz i plagiarise from the model answers LOL

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I've had it drilled into me right from the very start of my uni education how bad plagiarism is, and I have always had to use Turnitin, even if my work wasn't scanned with it, I still wouldn't plagiarise, its academic theft as far as I'm concerned.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there was a big article in the DT as well. mainly about USYD kids. 1st yrs have to do an online academic honesty module now before handing in ANY assignments. sigh. 40 mins of q's about plagiarism. fun :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i reckon the best way to stamp out cheating is to conduct some exams viva voce

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I've had it drilled into me right from the very start of my uni education how bad plagiarism is, and I have always had to use Turnitin, even if my work wasn't scanned with it, I still wouldn't plagiarise, its academic theft as far as I'm concerned.
where do you get the program?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Sarah168 said:
there was a big article in the DT as well. mainly about USYD kids. 1st yrs have to do an online academic honesty module now before handing in ANY assignments. sigh. 40 mins of q's about plagiarism. fun :)
Maybe you eco and business people do, we don't:D

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well, you cant reall plagiarise mathematical answers can you :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I did it once during Year 11 and got caught and got a 0, haha. I also do it regularly in my homework questions at University but not for hand in assignments and essays:).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Frigid said:
wouldnt that be a logistical nightmare to conduct that for 500 students??

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
where do you get the program?
Your uni needs to buy a licence for it, and then the academics create a site for your course, and each individual assignment they wish to scan. I don't think you can buy an individual licence.

santaslayer

HSC
I've plagarised. Everyone does. Every concept has been thought of and your assingment usually consists of only referenced material. You could still be caught plagarising even though you didn't intend to. It's a mattar of how good your referencing skills are. I don't think it's academic theft at all. People will think of bright ideas that have already been thought of in the past. That constitutes to plagarism as well. Even if you put it in your own words. Like...wtf? Academic Copyright is bullshit.

X

xeuyrawp

Frigid said:
I TOTALLY agree with that. I think it should be more of that in school.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i once heard that someone comes up with the same idea (i.e. the one in your head right now) 5 seconds later. :uhhuh:
the whole "don't plagiarise, it's academic theft" scares me... i don't want to steal someone's brainwave, but i don't want to think i have to search stuff on the net before i write it just in case someone has already beaten me to it.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did an intellectual property assignment on Turn-It-In a while ago

Interesting legal issues.. potentially, without an express licence for the marker to use your work, there is an infringment of copyright, however unlikely

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Interesting legal issues.. potentially, without an express licence for the marker to use your work, there is an infringment of copyright, however unlikely
I always wondered about the issues involved in TurnItIn, but I haven't learnt enough about the legalities of copyright yet.

santaslayer

HSC
Everything you hand in is legally the posession of the institution...no?

I remember reading some uni policy..(or subject outline) about it?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Everything you hand in is legally the posession of the institution...no?

I remember reading some uni policy..(or subject outline) about it?
Unless you sign something to that effect, no. Even if it were, it would not include an assignment of title in the copyright, it would be a mere licence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)