uni questions...>? (1 Viewer)

yeah

HSC
hey everyone
in in yer 12 at the moment and hoping to get into uni 2 stdy...accounting, business... not xactly sure yet...

just wanted 2 no...
1) if i dnt get the UAI i need, what else can i do to get into uni?
ive heard about a "bridging course".... can n e 1 pls explain that?

2)if i get a UAI lower than i xpected but still get into uni and do an arts course for example, what do i have 2 do to be able to transfer?
-how long do i have 2 wait to transfer?
-can i transfer to any other course or does it have 2 relate to it?
-can i transfer to a course that requires higher UAI then what i achived?

how does this all work??

n e help would be appreciated
thanks

santaslayer

HSC
yeah said:
hey everyone
in in yer 12 at the moment and hoping to get into uni 2 stdy...accounting, business... not xactly sure yet...

just wanted 2 no...
1) if i dnt get the UAI i need, what else can i do to get into uni?
ive heard about a "bridging course".... can n e 1 pls explain that?

2)if i get a UAI lower than i xpected but still get into uni and do an arts course for example, what do i have 2 do to be able to transfer?
-how long do i have 2 wait to transfer?
-can i transfer to any other course or does it have 2 relate to it?
-can i transfer to a course that requires higher UAI then what i achived?

how does this all work??

n e help would be appreciated
thanks
1) Bridging course is only for people who require knowledge in a certain field but did not gain this knowledge in year 12. eg. If you want to study medecine and didn't do HSC Chemistry. This does not have anything to do with transfers. Note that bridging courses aren't compulsory as well. :p

2) It is usually selected on the equal basis of both UAI and GPA. (Uni marks-Grade Point Average).

3) You usually wait for one semester. If your certain course requires you to do a whole year before transferring than you are compelled to do so. eg. LAW

4)Yes, you can transfer to a totally different course. You'll just have to start from year 1 again.

5) Yes, you can transfer to a 'higher' course.

6) Let me find the link. :p

As I said before , your transfer is dependent on your uni marks (GPA) and UAI.

The formulae is:

GPA+UAI/2= NRSL

GPA is derived :

Sum of Numerical Value x Credit point
--------------------------------------------------
credit point value of each subject.

Numerical Values are as follows:

HD-7
D-6
C-5
P-4
F-0

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=24679 This link is all about transfers.

EDIT: Note that first semster transfers are based soely on the UAI.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
OMG santa.....you confused the poor guy.....use simple term :p

Transfer is complicated. If you didn't get in, just do Arts for the first year, choose the subjects that is in your desired course. some subjects are only available to one particular course so you can't choose it. But choose something as close to it as possible.

then if your combined UAI + uni results is high enough, you can tranfer!

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
1) Bridging course is only for people who require knowledge in a certain field but did not gain this knowledge in year 12. eg. If you want to study medecine and didn't do HSC Chemistry. This does not have anything to do with transfers. Note that bridging courses aren't compulsory as well. :p
But, if you don't have the required knowledge - DO THE BRIDGING COURSE!!!!!

Bridging Courses can have an amazing effect on results achieved at the end of semester.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Definitely! I achieved better marks in Chemistry than people who did it in the HSC - some of those even managed to fail this semester.

santaslayer

HSC
He/She did ask how it all worked...

and I was extremely bored, trying to get through mountains of reading before tutorials start. :( :p :(...I have mixed emotions...

santaslayer

HSC
mack said:
So what if you have a painfully low UAI? Does it have to haunt you forever?
That's when you might like to try out your desired course at graduate level. (Doing it after an undergraduate degree.) They will use your university marks predominately to assess your eligibility. Some courses use a bit of the UAI as well. :p

So in response to your question. :uhhuh: . LoLz. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok, under the current system it all depends on whether you're transferring within a single faculty or university. Some universities (eg UTS) consider only your tertiary record when considering applications for Internal Course Transfer, while others consider a mix of UAI and WAM/GPA, and yet others demand you apply through UAC.

Under the proposed system to be implemented next year, all transfers will be handled by UAC - which means until you graduate from your first degree the UAI simply won't die. After that, most degrees will consider tertiary performance only - but there are exceptions. Some Graduate Law courses still consider your UAI, unless you can convince the faculty that it is so old as to be irrelevant (perhaps more than seven years old or something, you'd need to check with them).

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Mack, bear in mind for graduate entry, the better your Uni marks, the less anyone will care about things like a UAI. If you had (say) a WAM of 80 - mid range Distinction standard - in a decent first degree, then your UAI is likely to count for almost nothing. If you had a WAM of 55 - low range Pass standard - then your UAI may be more significant.

doe

HSC
N/A
there also mature age entry if you're really patient

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, but if you don't get the UAI and just hang around for five years waiting for mature entry you still won't get in, because you're supposed to use that time to gain experience and qualifications (TAFE etc) that will make you more viable for success. If the last relevant thing you did was get a UAI then they'll just look at your UAI again.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Definitely! I achieved better marks in Chemistry than people who did it in the HSC - some of those even managed to fail this semester.
Ditto.

If there's the option, do the bridging course. Can't stress it enough.

santaslayer

HSC
Hmmm.....I am only familiar with the mature age entry at UoW for Law. I guess other universities have their own system?

Applicants must be at the age of 25 and must sit the STAT test. Selected applicants will be invited to sit the Australian Law Schools Entry Test. This course is designed for students without a current or completed university studies.

On that note, some universities might still consider the UAI in some degrees/universities. I don't know. :p So yes, the UAI is the be all and end all. :uhhuh: :p :uhhuh:

doe

HSC
N/A
at macuni mature age is 21

the a gagillion different business/accounting courses, if you really want to do it, you'll be able to, in some form or another

i did crap in high school, and they still let me in. now i drive the school bus!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)