• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

uni rankings (1 Viewer)

Evan11

HSC
jb_nc said:
mate there are honestly about 150 000 threads devoted to this petty shit.

try searching or looking on wikipedia

let me break it down for you:

"I go to UNSW, UNSW is best!"
"I go to Sydney University, Sydney University is best!"
"I go to UTS, UTS is the best!"

Do you get my drift

They're all shit anyway
Where do you go then?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Choosing which university you go to based on any ranking system is old school thought.

These days, its much much more than merely where your piece of paper is from. Some people can be so naive.

Id hate to wake up one day and realise the maximum salary I could achieve is pushing $100k because I was too naive in uni to get advice from the right people.

EDIT: Not that $100k isn't necessarily a low salary, just that its much lower than anything i'd settle for.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Can someone explain to me why ANU has only a 75 Enter for commerce and economics and a 95 for commerce and law?

blue_chameleon

HSC
Studentleader said:
Can someone explain to me why ANU has only a 75 Enter for commerce and economics and a 95 for commerce and law?
Supply vs Demand.

Demand increases, then so does the entry mark and vice versa.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Supply vs Demand.

Demand increases, then so does the entry mark and vice versa.
is it the best uni for commerce/law or are the melbourne ones better?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
blue_chameleon said:
Choosing which university you go to based on any ranking system is old school thought.

These days, its much much more than merely where your piece of paper is from. Some people can be so naive.

Id hate to wake up one day and realise the maximum salary I could achieve is pushing $100k because I was too naive in uni to get advice from the right people.

EDIT: Not that $100k isn't necessarily a low salary, just that its much lower than anything i'd settle for.
What uni you went to is part of the equation.

People are naive if they think it's not. I reckon work experience (especially irrelevant ones) usually isn't weighted more heavily than your uni. Like seriously, if you're trying to get into law firm do you think I care you did some accounts clerk job? Or if you're trying to be a trader, that you worked as a freelance writer for SMH?

blue_chameleon

HSC
Omnidragon said:
What uni you went to is part of the equation. People are naive to think its not.
Not doubting that for one second. Its just naive to place it at the top of the list as it being the more important issue with landing some well paying jobs in the financial services industry, like funds mgmt and trading etc.

I reckon work experience (especially irrelevant ones) usually isn't weighted more heavily than your uni. Like seriously, if you're trying to get into law firm do you think I care you did some accounts clerk job? Or if you're trying to be a trader, that you worked as a freelance writer for SMH?
Once again, cant argue with you there. Its pretty logical in saying if you want experience to work for you, then it needs to be absolutely relevant. But apart from that, I know there are still a lot of people who consider a HD average as the key to a lot of highly competitive positions. I am simply saying that this is outdated by about 40 years. The way uni degrees are structured these days, its not that difficult to achieve a WAM of 85+.

ntrinh

HSC
For a commerce/business degree I would steer clear of La Trobe. I have heard its very weak in this area and that RMIT/Deakin/Swinburne are at least on par, if not better.

I can say from personal experience that Swinburne has pretty good teaching quality and great campus location (although its very small). I can also say that big/prestigious employers do not think badly of Swinburne students as I was accepted to do vac work at a Big 4 accounting firm (lots of Deakin people there too).

I should also probably say that I have left Swin to transfer to UMelb mainly for extra curricular (sports- Swinburne has little to none) and partner universities ( i plan to do exchange at some point).

Anyway, IMO rankings

1. Melb
2. Monash
3. RMIT/Swin/Deakin
4. La Trobe
5. Vic Uni

I agree with you right here. Even though Swinburne is not as pretigous as other big uni but come to rankings, it depends on the size of the Uni, research grants and academic staffs... and obviously Swinburne cant compare to Uni Melb, Monash or RMIT. However, they are trying to focus on the teaching quality and the facilities.

I personally enjoy my time at Swinburne more than at LaTrobe (study at both Uni). So I think Swinburne offer better Commerce/Business degree. Plus, final year you have to do capstone project so you will need to go and meet customer and do a business strategy project for them.

Swinburne

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)