• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni Students Best Opinions (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Well guys it's coming close to the release of UAI Cut-offs, i need to start a contingency plan or i'm gonna be going somewhere else, say if i really don't get my 82 for Computer Science & Technology at USYD, what's the best option i should do to get into the course? Some say do some science subjects and transfer, but first of all transfering doesn't sound as easy you still have to perform well in your course to transfer, and i have a problem with myself, anything i don't like i don't perform too well in :p damn!, but yeah what should i do? I've made arrangements to submit a portfolio into USYD, in hope of acceptance, but i doubt it will be recognised in comparison to other better portfolio submissions. I'm so lost right now, so any good opinions? Thanks Heaps :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, one problem with that may be the fact that last year the cut-off for the BSc at USyd was .20 higher than that of the BCST.
There is always the option of a Computer Science or Science degree at another university.

Winston

HSC
But i really wanna do it at USYD, or UNSW or UTS.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
well you really don't have an option but transferring from a different course already within usyd OR try comp sci at UWS then trasnfer after that.

what uai do you think you will be getting? maybe you can apply for special consideration and if you get granted you will be given an extra 5% on top of your uai at usyd or other participating uni's!

i've heard of people writing letters to the dean of a faculty asking to be accepted into a course. i would also try that, tell them your commited and dedicated to studying comp sci and use your portfolio to back you up or any other computer type activities, such as being the IT mod for this board. i think it would raise your chances because you've shown extra initiative and skill in the field.

just my $0.02!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jlh
well you really don't have an option but transferring from a different course already within usyd OR try comp sci at UWS then trasnfer after that.

what uai do you think you will be getting? maybe you can apply for special consideration and if you get granted you will be given an extra 5% on top of your uai at usyd or other participating uni's!

i've heard of people writing letters to the dean of a faculty asking to be accepted into a course. i would also try that, tell them your commited and dedicated to studying comp sci and use your portfolio to back you up or any other computer type activities, such as being the IT mod for this board. i think it would raise your chances because you've shown extra initiative and skill in the field.

just my $0.02!

Thanks for that :) How do you apply for special consideration? I've already put in my application for EAS is that what you're refering to?

Dean of faculty? What's that?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i'm referring to the EAS.

the dean is the person who's incharge of the whole faculty. in your case, you'd need to write to the faculty of science dean, Beryl Hesketh.

johnwoo

If you are set on computer science, I wouldn't recommend USYD. Though if its because the cut-off at usyd is lower then so be it.

I can't really remember, but doesn't UTS consider EAS applications 7 marks under the cut-off as opposed to 5 at unsw and usyd? If so, try for maths and computing or IT/international studies there if you don't achieve a high enough UAI.

Transferring isn't too hard as long as what you are trying to transfer into isn't on high demand.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by johnwoo
If you are set on computer science, I wouldn't recommend USYD. Though if its because the cut-off at usyd is lower then so be it.

I can't really remember, but doesn't UTS consider EAS applications 7 marks under the cut-off as opposed to 5 at unsw and usyd? If so, try for maths and computing or IT/international studies there if you don't achieve a high enough UAI.

Transferring isn't too hard as long as what you are trying to transfer into isn't on high demand.

Yeah i have Maths and Computing down as well, that's about the lowest course that is still in relation to computers lol.

What's IT/International Studies?

johnwoo

double at uts. I don't know what the cut off is but it was pretty low a few years ago

Winston

HSC
yeah i know UTS is within 10 UAI, i got my USYD Broadway Scheme acceptance letter today w00t, waiitng for UTS :p..

sei

HSC
yeh, I wouldn't recommend computer science at USYD, it's not USYD's specialty. You should probably consider UNSW and UTS well above USYD when it comes to computer science.

and also, the B.Science is often higher or around the same UAI as computer science, so it may not be the case of getting into B.Science first and transferring, because at UNSW B.Science is still around 80, and at USYD, B.Science is higher than computer science..

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sei
yeh, I wouldn't recommend computer science at USYD, it's not USYD's specialty. You should probably consider UNSW and UTS well above USYD when it comes to computer science.

and also, the B.Science is often higher or around the same UAI as computer science, so it may not be the case of getting into B.Science first and transferring, because at UNSW B.Science is still around 80, and at USYD, B.Science is higher than computer science..

Yeah but what have i got to choose when i can just barely get the 82 and get into USYD, i mean i'd love to go to UTS or UNSW, but... they dont have the portfolio scheme thing as well so.. :S.. i duno ill wait fro my results next week if out of sheer luck i get the UAI for UTS or UNSW i'm definately changing my prefs.

So what other options do u think i have?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
im not too familiar with some of the disadvantage schemes, but from what i am aware of, there are a few options which some people have already pointed out.

1. get into a different degree or a related degree from a different uni then apply for a transfer through UAC again after the first sem or first year. doing subjects which are related or equivelent to those in a comp sci degree will give you a better chance of 'keeping up' with everyone else if you successfully get a transfer into the desired course.

2. get into a different degree or related degree from the same uni and apply for an internal transfer (different course within the uni). though in cases i have seen, your most likely only gonna be able to transfer after first year is finished.

3. if your really struggling, and i know you probaly wont, do a diploma at tafe or insearch and then transfer.

thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)