Union Board Election 2010 (1 Viewer)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Why would you vote if you're not part of the union?? You shouldn't get a vote.
If there were partial (and cheaper) memberships just to participate in elections etc. then I would. As it stands, USyd essentially markets the union toward those who wish to join clubs and societies, and who want discounts on campus (and a small selection of places off-campus). I wasn't particularly interested in any socities, and I generally don't buy food on campus. There is no alternative membership for those of us who don't want these things. I did not have over $100 to spend at the beginning of semester on something that I wouldn't get anywhere near the full benefits of, but that doesn't mean the union does not affect my uni life.

Yes, You can join the union as an associate member for free on the day.
Thanks

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
If there were partial (and cheaper) memberships just to participate in elections etc. then I would. As it stands, USyd essentially markets the union toward those who wish to join clubs and societies, and who want discounts on campus (and a small selection of places off-campus). I wasn't particularly interested in any socities, and I generally don't buy food on campus. There is no alternative membership for those of us who don't want these things. I did not have over $100 to spend at the beginning of semester on something that I wouldn't get anywhere near the full benefits of, but that doesn't mean the union does not affect my uni life.

Thanks
$100 is cheap in comparison to pre-VSU. They market the clubs and societies and food discounts because the union knows that is what will draw people into joining the union, however the money is spent on a lot more than just those two things.

You can vote by becoming an associate member (its free).

kokodamonkey

HSC

Thanks
Do you ever set foot in wentworth, manning or holme? then you should join.

kolash

HSC
i heard the deb white campaign used the office of a member of parliament to print their poster.
i dont think that's legit.

izzy88

HSC
i heard the deb white campaign used the office of a member of parliament to print their poster.
i dont think that's legit.
any campaign can use free resources if its at their disposal, but they have to provide a cost figure based on how much it would have cost to print at market rate, and its included in their spending cap.

ie. if they got $400 worth of free printing, that is still $400 counting towards their spending cap.

I'm just annoyed that a phone message has gone around the whole college saying 'make sure your vote reflects your college patriotism' ...vote Pat. Ugh.

kokodamonkey

HSC
any campaign can use free resources if its at their disposal, but they have to provide a cost figure based on how much it would have cost to print at market rate, and its included in their spending cap.

ie. if they got $400 worth of free printing, that is still $400 counting towards their spending cap.

I'm just annoyed that a phone message has gone around the whole college saying 'make sure your vote reflects your college patriotism' ...vote Pat. Ugh.
a sms?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Skipping tmrw so no voting. :)

By the way, I think all three candiates should been banned for tripling their spending cap. :/

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The cap is $701.30.

Alistair was $162.70 over
Sibella $156.40 over
Hiltin $85 over

bio_nut

HSC

Thanks
That doesn't make sense. If you don't participate in clubs and such and don't use the union facilities, how does it effect you, why should you get to vote for something you don't use or are involved in?

Or do you still use places like Manning such? What IS your reason for wanting to vote then?

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
All university students use Union facilities
hence
Union facilities should be funded entirely by the University.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)