• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Union Board Elections 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

Phanatical said:
There are a couple points I want to address. Firstly, the issue of the UNION supporting Falun Gong. It's true that sometimes I get confused on the Union and the SRC, and I will sometimes attribute the acts of one to the other. But in the case of Falun Gong, the Union is just as guilty as the SRC. It disturbs me greatly to know that while societies like the Sydney Eclectic Composers' Society can no longer access Union funding whatsoever, "societies" like Falun 'Dafa' on campus can, and Do receive student funding through the Clubs and Societies program.

Secondly, I find the allegation that I force feed Jo her campaign materials offensive. I can run my own campaign, and I do not need a puppet to do it for me. As for Jo, she's more than capable, she's got her own ideas and approaches, her own priorities and - most importantly - the determination to get the job done.
Out of curiousity, do you find the fact that Hillsong gets funding disturbing?

I know I do. And there are heaps of other Clubs and Societies that run counter to my beliefs that get funding.

I'm interested to hear what you (and the other candidates) have to say to this.

And whilst you may find the fact that Jo sounds a lot like you offensive, I find it very amusing actually.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Hands up anyone who thinks jogad=Phanatical.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

Jo and I are, I assure you, quite different people.

I don't find that we agree on a lot of things to be offensive. I find your allegation that I force feed Jo her policies offensive. Some might, but I don't need a puppet candidate.

And the difference between Hillsong and Falun Gong is simple. One is stupid. The other is responsible for the deaths of thousands of people.

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC

quah got a pretty good write up in honi i thought

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

I haven't had a chance to read the last four Honi's. Can you give me a general idea of what it says?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

The last Honi was shit, it was the "Womyns Edition" (which, as you may recall from last year I have a clear disdain for)

I haven't had a chance to read this weeks, because they didn't get it out until I had left campus on Wednesday and the .pdf version on the net is stuffed.

And I haven't seen you mentioned in any of the others.

Last edited:

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

jogad said:
i'd like to clear this up for you guys (warning: falun gong related)

1. falun gong is a cult that was dreamed up in 1992 by a dude called li hongszi. it's a mish-mash of principles and ideas ranging from buddhism, qi gong, meditation and even christianity (yes guys, that's right - li was really trying to appeal to as many as he possibly could).
to date there are some one-&-a-half thousand people who have died in relation to this cult in some way or another, through self-destruction - an idea promulgated by li as the only way of acheiving complete divinity (or some crap like that) - or through murder (many falun gong/falun dafa have murdered their loved ones in hope that they will also achieve divinity).
of course, one may consider these facts incredulous and wonder what do i have to really, really prove what i am saying... well, the following, if complicated, and brief, is what i figure:

_CONSIDER THAT THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA_

-has not banned, jailed any other qigong-school practitioners
-gladly sends out information and evidence to anyone who contacts the embassy

_CONSIDER THAT FALUN GONG_

-never discuss their precepts to which they must strictly adhere- only ever talk about the meditation that they do (which alone is useless, li hongszi himself taught)
-believe hongszi is a god, who can cure illness and who never gets ill, alter time, space and history.. who transcends ALL physical and temporal limitations (this dude is rich and living in the USA btw!)
-believe some people are "evil" and should be already dead, but through some chance abberration have lived. this is another cause of falun gong murderers - they can commit attrocities in absolute good faith!
-believe illness is essentially due to spiritual deficiency, leading many fanatics to die due to refusal of medical treatment
-are proponents of racial intolerance: they believe that racial purity is essential for higher being
-believe homosexuals are not people (yes, you read it right!!!) (and yes, there is evidence!!!)

this cult clearly exploits vulnerable people: people with psychological and psychiatric illnesses (of which there are a great many - approx 1% of our population develops schizophrenia, think of the population of china.. work it out .. now consider depression, personality disorders and the broad spectrum of psychotic disorders)

there is information if you search for it, you just have to wonder WHY the chinese govt would go to sooooo much trouble to get rid of these guys when they let a shitload of other verrry similar religions continue without any trouble.

in theory everyone should be allowed to harbour their own thoughts, but when a cult does so much evil, can we just allow it?

thankyou.
This is probably not related to the main discussion but I completely agree with you. It's ridiculous that Falun Gong receives so much support in the West. I happened to be in Beijing on they day a few Falun Gong followers tried to blow themselves up in Tiananmen Square by drinking petrol. The leaders of this cult deserve to be persecuted.

They also pay people by the hour to protest for the terrorist organisation btw.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

Falun Gong may be a cult, but they are not terrorists.

Eg. They kill themselves (mostly) instead of other innocent people.

Falun Gong > Terrorists.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

Falun Gong are responsible for the deaths of many non-believers. Parents killing their own children because their wheel of law (which only seasoned practitioners have the training to see) is spinning the wrong way. People killing their own parents because their parents will not join them in the cult. People lighting other peoples' houses on fire to put them on the fast track to "heaven". Storming and hijacking a Chinese television station in an attempt to create unrest. Just some of the less violent examples.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

_dhj_ said:
This is probably not related to the main discussion but I completely agree with you. It's ridiculous that Falun Gong receives so much support in the West. I happened to be in Beijing on they day a few Falun Gong followers tried to blow themselves up in Tiananmen Square by drinking petrol. The leaders of this cult deserve to be persecuted.

They also pay people by the hour to protest for the terrorist organisation btw.
They're not persecuted, because Falun Gong is not a religion. They should be, however, prosecuted.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Can we please take this discussion out of this thread?

To bring the thread back on topic, here's how I'll be voting:

1. Monica;
2. Tim;
3. Roz;
4. Tanner;
5. Michelle Crisp;
6. Tom Green;
7. Quah;
8. Jo;
9. Rose;
10. Tom Kavanagh;
11. Danielle.

How do the rest of you plan to vote (if you've decided already)?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

You're supporting Roz ahead of me? You bitch :(

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

ujuphleg said:
Back on topic about UNION ELECTIONS rather than SRC FUNDING:

I might vote Liberal this year, only to try and force all of them to actually do something. i.e Labor hasn’t done anything it has promised and therefore, if Liberal candidates get voted in, it may force Labor candidates to realise that promises should be kept, rather than broken.

Anyway, under a VSU model (ie, being stuck with the lot that we’ve been dished out) privatisation is a more viable “sustainability” option than protest.
^^ That was what I was thinking last night, but like I pointed out to a friend, the left will win anyway, so why compromise myself?

I think I'll vote:

1. Roz
2. Tanner
3. Monica
4. Rose

and the others in some order or other with Quah and Suttie at the bottom.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

So we don't vote just one person, but do it in ascending order then? cool.

I'll be donkey voting.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Me:
1. Roz
2. Monica
3. Tanner
4. Rose;
5. Tim
6. Tom Kavanagh;
7. Danielle.
8. Quah;
9. Jo

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

Oh yeah... if anyone promises to refund my $604, I'll vote for you first and then donkey vote.

PS. I know its not going to happen, just 'promise' this as another fake campaign platform, that seems to be the trend for these elections at any rate.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

why not abstain from voting rather than donkey vote?

jogad

HSC

i'm going to just scrawl obscenities all over the ballot slip

the only people who win these things are the ones who are faceless, unprincipled elbowbashers to whom the notions of justice and accountability are as alien as a drink-free week is to me. and that's teh truth :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC

why are people preferencing tom green and michelle: they aren't 'serious candidates' as quoted from tom andrews.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

stazi said:
why not abstain from voting rather than donkey vote?
I won't be paying Union fees next year, therefore I'd like the novelty of voting for Uni elections for my first and last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)