• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Union Board Elections 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
greeninsanity said:
I'm voting..

1. Roz
2. Monica
3. Tom
4. Danielle
5. Tanner
6. Rose
7. Tim
I'm surprised, I would have thought that you of all people would be voting Tom and Rose first with everyone else behind them...

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
ujuphleg said:
I'm surprised, I would have thought that you of all people would be voting Tom and Rose first with everyone else behind them...
I know most of the candidates this year. There's not that much difference between campaigns (and campaign promises don't really mean anything), so I'm voting based on who's running, rather than politics.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If that were so, then why have you forgotten to preference the only two independent candidates in the election? I'm sorry if I sound cynical, but as far as I'm concerned every candidate in this election except me and Jo can be broadly defined as part of one of two camps - the camp that wants to maintain the status quo, and the camp that wants to completely privatise the Union. There are only two candidates in this election (me and Jo) who actually wants to improve it, because I promise you that NONE of those other candidates want to address the absolutely disgusting situation at the Con or the other Union campuses. NONE of those other candidates want to address the fact that Club executives throughout the uni are moving to declare their clubs independent of the Union. NONE of those other candidates would actually vote for something unpopular for the good of the Union. And most importantly, and I do mean most importantly, NONE of those other candidates are doing ANY of this for anything other than their resumes.

I am so sick of uni politics, the people involved are so fucking corrupt. They take our hard-earned money, and spend it on luxuries for themselves. The Union takes about $300000 in student fees from the Con, and the only thing they've given us back is a Music Cafe that they make a profit on anyway, and a couple hundred dollars in Clubs and Societies funding that can't even cover one single concert. Back at SECS, we once asked the Con Students' Association to give us $80 to put on a concert, and the Union overruled the CSA by saying no. So we asked the Union to give us $500 to put on a drinks night after the concert, and we got a cheque already made out to the Bar. Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this picture??

Me and Jo have complained about Union food more than any other candidate in this election. But allow me to break the myth about it, by saying that there IS such a thing as GOOD UNION FOOD. To get it, you have to be a Board or Committee member on the Union, because while the students are served rubbish, at the Committee and Board meetings the Directors are served excellent food on expensive China with real Silver silverware by povo students dressed in tuxedoes.

The Union is a sick place for sick people, and I for one am sick of it all.

jogad

HSC
there are two final things i'd like to say before i nick off to my usual forum:

a) why don't you see any of the other candidates utilising means for free publicity? where the bloody hell are they??

b) why do the labor, liberal, and greens spend literally THOUSANDS upon thousands of dollars campaigning to get their stooges into these positions??

i wish more people actually got off their arses and got involved in these politics, because the only ones that are involved at the moment are jast as quah described.

okay, pjharvey forum for me :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

Latest rumour: apparently Tanner's find a word is unsolvable.

gerhard

HSC

quah:

honi pretty much said that you were anti affirmative action/preferencing of women or whatever, that you said yourself that you dont have much of a chance, and called you an eccentric.

sexy-cinderella

HSC

melbournian said:
Note to self: if I ever see withoutaface, he will really be withoutaface after I punch him in the head.
play nice hippie, play nice. :)

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC

sexy-cinderella said:
play nice hippie, play nice. :)
Geez, I'm glad I get called a hippie sometime in my life. But I guess it is on the internet, doubt its going to happen in real life.

transcendent

HSC
N/A

Malfoy said:
Lol, that's actually pretty funny, even if not ever being able to find decent food on campus is a bit of a sore spot for me at the moment.

And, Raph - that was OWEN? *laugh*
heh, i'm on the Nursing campus and all they have is heated hot food which i refuse to eat so i'm left with 7eleven, maccas for cheap food and everything else around is expensive. you wonder why i don't vote it's cause the candidate do shit for the system and nothing for affiliated campuses even IF they said they would cause we are being kicked out soon.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

You do realise that this year there are two candidates from affiliated campuses running, don't you? If ANYBODY is going to be sympathetic to the situation at Nursing, it would be the affiliate candidates.

Last edited:

sexy-cinderella

HSC

Silver Persian said:
Monica came in and spoke in my ECOP lecture today. I thought she was quite good - didnt come in with stupid policies like 'I will enforce sexual equality' - and I like her idea of bringing in private businesses to do uni catering.

roz crashed my ECOP lecture at 3pm

sexy-cinderella

HSC

melbournian said:
Geez, I'm glad I get called a hippie sometime in my life. But I guess it is on the internet, doubt its going to happen in real life.
well i dont know you in real life do i retard, just because i call you a hippie over the internet does not mean i wouldn't say it in real life. Stop trying to be like 'lolz im untouchable in real lyfe and coz u guyz lyke post on the internet yu guyz mu5t be lil nerdz who wont say ne-thin to mi untouchable face'

commies are idiots and should be eradicated, because communism IS a disease. It's a disease which affects ones cognitions and turns them into irrational retards who shout 'conspiracy' at everything. Go analyse a blade of grass, coz 'everythin haz a d33per meaning lolz the govt is planning to kill us guyz :('

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Malfoy said:
Where exactly is the Nursing campus? And why are they kicking you out of it? Are they moving you to main campus?
The nursing campus is on Mallet Street, round the back of our Uni - you can get there by walking down Parramatta Road a bit, past the Ross Street Entrance, and you'll get to Mallet Street - I believe its near the RPA.

They're kicking them out because the University in 2004 cut Bachelor of Nursing as a degree because it isn't profitable. And seeing as our undergraduate Senate representative will do jackshit for us this year as she is living in Melbourne full time, that situation isn't going to be rectified anytime soon.

EDIT: in other news, I spoke to Mr. Tanner today and apparently he really is independent, Amit is "just a friend" and he is giving no preferences, although his pamphlets tommorow will say that you should vote for Roz, Rose and Monica as well.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Did he tell you that Labor right heavyweight Sam Crosby is "just a friend" too? Tanner seems to be a good bloke, but he's not independent.

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC

ujuphleg said:
EDIT: in other news, I spoke to Mr. Tanner today and apparently he really is independent, Amit is "just a friend" and he is giving no preferences, although his pamphlets tommorow will say that you should vote for Roz, Rose and Monica as well.
I am really torn who I should vote for mark or danielle....friends or beliefs.....

Anyway, marks policies:

1. Reopen the stand - don't think thats going to happen (its SU Sport not union), but if he got it
2, Guaranteed Union Fundingfor all College Infomrals
3. Permanent registration for all students clubs in the Clubs&socs program - allowing $8000 worth of funding each year for every college - most colleges already are - colleges could all do it themselves if they wanted to
4. Union support for intercol sports and parties - intercol sport = SUSport responsibility
5. Did we mention re-opening the stand?
6. Disocunts that work-off campus,r ather than just giving you q5% off the food you don't eat. Discounts off phone rates, 4c off petrol and 15% of liqourland - good idea, but practical?
7. More campus stores that you want to use such as Borders bookshop and a grocery store - Borders would never happen - they wouldn't want to come on campus, and where would they put such a big shop. Grocery store (assuming its a small IGA type) would be a good idea.

He says:
Please vote on Wednesday for the only college candaidate....vote mark tanner

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC

ujuphleg said:
And seeing as our undergraduate Senate representative will do jackshit for us this year as she is living in Melbourne full time, that situation isn't going to be rectified anytime soon.
She's been at all the Senate meetings so far... she comes back to Sydney surprisingly often.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

umm.. what? Union elections are 2morrow?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

rofl.

Title got edited just 4 me.

what971 --> *feels special and important* :)

gerhard

HSC

Wow, that's REALLY fucked. At least I have Broadway if I want overpriced yet tasty food, or a couple of stores in Newtown for REALLY overpriced food - if I were on your campus and didn't want to bring my own food, I'd probably be paying shitloads if I could even find anything at all.

Do you cook for yourself?

Maybe that'd be an option - I cooked a stack of corn muffins, cookies, 'burgers', etc. last night because it was cheaper and probably more nutritious too - there's only so many overpriced fruit salads I can eat before starving to death.

(On a side note, I found out on Monday that some dorms don't have sinks, freezers, ovens or stoves. Why, and how the hell can the designers of these buildings expect students to cook/eat?)
foods the best around uni, what are you talking about
landsdownes $5 steaks are amazing, as are all of newtowns 1000 $6 thai restaurants.
im pretty sure glebe pt road has a few cheap places if you walk down far enough as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)