• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Union Board Elections 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

withoutaface said:
You launch sarcasm at me for saying that Monica didn't get up because of a lack of campaigners, then concede that Danielle did because she had lots of people? Nice contradiction.
I was referring to voters, not campaigners.

I was not once approached by any Danielle campaigners, whilst I was by every other serious candidate. Must be my multinationalist taste in fashion.

You seem to have a bad habit of misinterpreting people to suit your own argument.

Anyway, as if it will really make a difference who gets on. It was a lot of fun attempting to collect all the t shirts (I got 4 in the end), but at the end of the day the elections are taken far to seriously by all involved.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Phanatical said:
bringing in new suckers into the membership.
Thank goodness you didn't get onto the Board. With an attitude like that...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

Hey, it's true. The overall rate of membership in 2007 will be 15%, but the overwhelming majority of that 15% will come from first year students. Those of us who have been at Uni for at least a year know that the Union is all talk, and that their monies will be much better off in their own pockets.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

It'll be closer to 30, that was the general membership statistic at large WA universities.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Andrew, stop being bitter.

I actually look forward to increasing the number of union memberships after I get elected. I think we can do it (if WAF, and perhaps another 'business-minded' individual get elected with me).
I doubt this year's union will be very effective -they'll keep bitching about VSU rather than going forward and rebuilding the union.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC

stazi said:
That's really not much money when you think about it.
Chupa Chups = about $180 for 1000
Staff = $20/hour each
etc.
Well, I'm basing it on what it costs the SRC to run an election. Last year it was roughly $27,000 and that's the cheapest it's been. I don't imagine the Union costs are that different..

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC

Whatever you do, don't run as a liberal.
Students don't like Liberals.
I say that not as a red under your bed but as someone who realises that 'Independant' appeals much more to Liberals than the party-politics-associated term 'Liberal' does.

gerhard

HSC

stazi said:
Andrew, stop being bitter.

I actually look forward to increasing the number of union memberships after I get elected. I think we can do it (if WAF, and perhaps another 'business-minded' individual get elected with me).
I doubt this year's union will be very effective -they'll keep bitching about VSU rather than going forward and rebuilding the union.
but lets face it, the majority of people who would support you or waf are going to be the same people who arent going to bother joining the union.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC

greeninsanity said:
Well, I'm basing it on what it costs the SRC to run an election. Last year it was roughly $27,000 and that's the cheapest it's been. I don't imagine the Union costs are that different..
No wonder they believe they're short on cash. What the hell costs $27,000?

I mean come on, it's:

Paper
People
Chupa-Chups

FOR ONE FREAKING DAY...

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC

withoutaface said:
Your point? Elections are won on the strength of their campaigners on the day, and we had half the club away (in particular the experienced half) in Canberra :/
Wouldn't your most experienced campaigner be Duncan?
I know for a fact he was in Sydney while the campaign was on. In fact I had about a 20 min convo with him the afternoon of the election.

Excuses

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

withoutaface said:
It'll be closer to 30, that was the general membership statistic at large WA universities.
Actually likely to be above that. Given that membership in WA got you nothing over not having membership due to legislation requiring that student organisations couldn't discriminate against those who didn't join (slightly analgous to tragedy of the commons). SU Sport will be lucky to have 10% membership but.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC

Xayma said:
Actually likely to be above that. Given that membership in WA got you nothing over not having membership due to legislation requiring that student organisations couldn't discriminate against those who didn't join (slightly analgous to tragedy of the commons). SU Sport will be lucky to have 10% membership but.
Don't we have to pay on top of what we already give to them for a "real" membership? Fucking rort.

gerhard

HSC

su sport can suck a dick

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC

Yeah thats it, a 6 month pass is about $350 dollars (on top of the $144 from our Union fees that goes to them)

stazi

Nightman
HSC

gerhard said:
but lets face it, the majority of people who would support you or waf are going to be the same people who arent going to bother joining the union.
Yes, I agree to that and it slightly scares me. It's a huge catch-22. If E&B all voted I'd probably get 80% of their votes, but since hardly anyE&B students will join to the union, I'll have to get support from other faculties. It'll be hard to make them understand the dire situation we're in.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

melbournian said:
Wouldn't your most experienced campaigner be Duncan?
I know for a fact he was in Sydney while the campaign was on. In fact I had about a 20 min convo with him the afternoon of the election.

Excuses
Duncan has his issues with the current club exec, resigning his position on it a few months ago and didn't help at all with the elections, but that's another story.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC

stazi said:
Yes, I agree to that and it slightly scares me. It's a huge catch-22. If E&B all voted I'd probably get 80% of their votes, but since hardly anyE&B students will join to the union, I'll have to get support from other faculties. It'll be hard to make them understand the dire situation we're in.
Left wing union run by left wing unionists. I don't see the problem other than you won't get on. But you're not a lefty, so you're not going to join the union anyway. Right?

If it goes to the shit you don't NEED to help:

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I'm joining the union. hardkore.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

I can't Afford to join. Unless they do what I've been suggesting for four years and reduce the fee to $50, I won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)