union fees (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
blackfriday said:
how much are they, and is it really worth paying for it?
Depends on what uni, and for the most part, no.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If you want a "top" uni (USYD, UNSW and other prestigious unis), it can be considerable (up to $600). Do you really think you'll get $600 value out of your extra-curricular uni activities?

wizard146

HSC
Actually yeah, I reckon you would, all things considered.

It's not about that though- it's about contributing to a community even if you don't directly benefit from all the money.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Note that you have to pay your fees for Semester 1 (I think VSU kicks in semester 2)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah until semester 2 you have no choice but to pay them. Which means for those of us at unis who collect them in a lump sum at the start of semester 1 don't benefit from VSU until next year...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The website I linked to earlier, ourbloodysrc.com, goes through some of the thigns that at least USYD's SRC (and many others) have been involved in. It's not comprehensive yet, but it will be by O-week.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
wizard146 said:
Actually yeah, I reckon you would, all things considered.

It's not about that though- it's about contributing to a community even if you don't directly benefit from all the money.
Ok, let me outline things for you. I am:
a) intelligent, therefore will not fail a subject and won't need that particular service, and even while we're on that, I'll be unable to afford textbooks until late in the semester due to compulsory subscriptions, so the SRC is making me more likely to fail.
b) right wing, therefore I have the SRC protesting against my beliefs, and indeed in favour of violence against myself. Also paying to send people to detention centres around the country, and donating money to the PLO.
c) not stupid enough to have a child then say "WHOOPS! LOL! I MADE A BOO BOO, BUT ITS OK CAUSE I CAN GET THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY TO PAY FOR MY CHILDCARE!'.
d) prone to losing things, hence I lost my Union card at the start of semester 2 and barely noticed it was gone.
e) an engineer, hence the Union and SRC ignore my faculty.
So what you're telling me is that theft is justified, so long as the far left are doing it in the name of social justice?

In fact that only reason I'll join the Union post-VSU is so that I might be able to fix the whole fucked up system by getting a position on the board.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
we are very similar people withoutaface. my problem is that i dont want to be paying money for useless things like anime clubs or vampire appreciation. i know union fees are similar to taxation, where money is resdistributed to more important things like childcare and sporting organisations. since im never going to need a union to argue for me since im doing a bludge degree and therefore wont fail (i hope) and i wont be needing child care facilities, i dont see the point of paying.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
So what you're telling me is that theft is justified, so long as the far left are doing it in the name of social justice?
At times you can be so full of shit, calculon.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm being parted from my money, without my consent, to fund things that don't benefit me. What is there to call it but theft?

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'm being parted from my money, without my consent, to fund things that don't benefit me. What is there to call it but theft?
I'd call it ignorance of the collective benefit that such fees provide, but I'm well aware of the fact that you don't consider such a view to be valid.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's not so much the idea that we're all contributing to a collective benefit, but more the fact that said "collective benefit" doesn't benefit students in the slightest.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Generator said:
I'd call it ignorance of the collective benefit that such fees provide, but I'm well aware of the fact that you don't consider such a view to be valid.
A guy mugs me on the street and donates the money to world vision. Is this still theft?

Mike iE

HSC
Uts last year was about $200 a semester. I received a sports scholarship last year, attended both uni games and the union parties at kuring-gai. I definatly got my moneys worth from my union fees.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Question: since VSU "kicks in" in semester 2, USYD make us pay union fees for the whole year in one hit. How will they make us pay for the union fees this year? Make us pay for the whole year, or make us pay in semester one then semester two?
Whole year.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Mike iE said:
Uts last year was about $200 a semester. I received a sports scholarship last year, attended both uni games and the union parties at kuring-gai. I definatly got my moneys worth from my union fees.
Do you think the people who paid for your sports scholarship and your trips to unigames got their money's worth?

What you get: a sports scholarship and trips to unigames.
What your classmates get: you

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
apparently not. They said it's a transitional phase for the legislation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)