Unions NSW to recruit from the classroom (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Unbelievable arrogance from both the Unions and Labor. Students are at school to be taught, not subject to blatant union propaganda.

The opposition are on safe ground here. Unions are quickly becoming an irrelevance. I can't think of one good aspect about unions. Wage increases? No, they just whinge when they couldn't do any better. Support when you get sacked/redundant? I don't think so.

But they do know how to disrupt the general publics lives with their 'strike, strike, strike' ethic. How many half-day union strikes did we have while we were at school? Or buses not turning up? Or their demanding of compulsory student unionism?

The sooner unions are extinguished from this country, the better.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
my teacher used to tell me how bad the libs were and how good labor was and then i used to steal her teachers union pens all the time

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
tell me more lala2 u seem so up2date on the topic

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
i see no problem

if the...nazi party were allowed into classrooms to convince kids, then there'd be a problem
unions are a fundamentally GOOD force in our crumbling society. there's no problem with admitting them into schools so long as they're not there to BRAINWASH

like those anti drugs groups (sponsored by the ARMY.NAVY.AIRFORCE)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
lol.
everytime i see ben netanhayu in your avatar i just want to grab him from behind in a full nelson, choke him unconscious and just kick his body forward and see stars spin around his head.

spiny norman

HSC
This is a good initiative.

I work as a casual worker at a shitty establishment with a number of young people, for many of whom this is their first job. Recently I became the place's first union delegate, and heard from a number of people that they'd asked the managers about joining a union, and were uniformly told that there was no applicable union to become a member of (in one case, someone was told that joining a union was in the agreement as a sackable offence).

While undoubtedly it takes a great amount of naivete for these workers to believe these utter lies from management, it also shows that people so easily misled are most in need of having union protection. Given there's no programme in the school system regarding this, it is good for the unions to go out and get this themselves. Seeing, at my school, guest speakers from business groups came in to speak in business studies classes and our careers advisory class, it stands to reason that union reps should be given an opportunity to explain the role of unions in careers and in business.

Of course the Murdoch press has a problem with this, and the same conservative apparatchiks here whinge, but clearly people need to be educated on the subject, and until it's put into the school curriculum (and even then, should a unionist with some insight into the system not be allowed to give a guest lecture regarding it, if called upon) how else should the message be got out?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
This is a good initiative.

I work as a casual worker at a shitty establishment with a number of young people, for many of whom this is their first job. Recently I became the place's first union delegate, and heard from a number of people that they'd asked the managers about joining a union, and were uniformly told that there was no applicable union to become a member of (in one case, someone was told that joining a union was in the agreement as a sackable offence).

While undoubtedly it takes a great amount of naivete for these workers to believe these utter lies from management, it also shows that people so easily misled are most in need of having union protection. Given there's no programme in the school system regarding this, it is good for the unions to go out and get this themselves. Seeing, at my school, guest speakers from business groups came in to speak in business studies classes and our careers advisory class, it stands to reason that union reps should be given an opportunity to explain the role of unions in careers and in business.

Of course the Murdoch press has a problem with this, and the same conservative apparatchiks here whinge, but clearly people need to be educated on the subject, and until it's put into the school curriculum (and even then, should a unionist with some insight into the system not be allowed to give a guest lecture regarding it, if called upon) how else should the message be got out?
Schools must always be bipartisan, however, and having a union official come in and spruik the benefits of the union movement goes totally against this (it is naive to say that unions are not one in the same as the ALP). If Union officials were to come in it would be immoral (and perhaps illegal) not to have members of the local Chambers of Commerce or the local Business Association (who would be alligned with the Liberals).

The only possible way would be for careers advisors to read the relevant legislation regarding unions and their place in the work force to their students.

If anyone is silly enough to think that there is no union for them, maybe they should use some initiative or speak to an adult.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Unions aren't fundamentally good you fucking el gronko, and they have no place in our schools.
Actually, unions are fundamentally good you tard. Some of the bigger ones are too arrogant for their own good, but their overall goal is employee rights, which is a fundamental good unless you're a Libertarian wanker which I'm pretty sure you're not.

I think young people should be taught about and given information about unions, so they're aware they exist and of their options later in the workforce, but I don't think having unions head honchos come in and dispense that information is such a crash hot idea. Surely a more neutral source could be found.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Kids learning about unions in general and what they're for so they aren't retarded when they get jobs = fine
Unions actually coming into my classroom to spruik their message about the union movement = not so good

is pretty much where I stand on this, atm. I see issues with neutrality...schools aren't meant to blatantly promote specific political messages (I know in reality it happens sometimes etc but that doesn't make it ok)

I don't think unions are a shit thing in general but they don't have any place coming into schools and encouraging kids ''to sign up to Union Start, with incentives like cheap tickets to sporting events". Just like I wouldn't agree with a religious group coming into a (public) school to convert or preach to students.

Although if someone can help me out with exactly what UnionStart is I might have a different opinion, I'm trying to find a website or something for it but clearly I need to learn2google or something :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)