Unions? (1 Viewer)

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
Whilst enrolling in uni, I came across 4 different Unions that I can join. I'm not asking for information on them because I can find that easily enough thru google. What I want is your opinions on them so I can decide which ones to choose, because I'm completely lost.

What ones are helpful, and which ones are a waste of money?

The four are:
- The University of Newcastle Union Limited (UNU)
- Newcastle University Sport Incorporated (NUSport)
- Central Coast Campus Union Limited (CCCU)
- Newcastle University Student Association (NUSA)

At this time, I'm considering UNU and NUSport.

Any opinions would be highly appreciated.

Gibbo

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
For this semester at least, even if you don't tick the boxes you still pay the same amount. I tick the lot of them, although CCCU is one you could quite easily ignore.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i think UNU was the one that gives you discount food prices..but i dunno how long that will last/whether it's even running or whatever..

i would just do UNU and NUSA (and NUSport if you're into sport obviously) although i dunno if you'd even need to bother with NUSA

rific

HSC
As said, this sem you pay the same anyway, may as well tick them all, though, I tend to ignore CCCU. If they were 'compulsory' to join, you wouldn't be given the option, but all the same, you're paying the same amount, so you may as well join.

Has anyone heard how much we're paying this semester yet?

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
I thought the Union fees were now voluntary so you only have to pay for what you join...

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
oh ok, so i have to pay for the entire lot this semester? :(

oh well, Ill tick all then

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
it doesnt matter which ones you tick, you pay the same price.

if you go to callaghan dont tick the central coast one.

tick UNU
tick NUSport if you are going to use the sport facilities
tick NUSA if you are intereseted in the pro-rights, pro-queer, anti-men, against anything else thats in the news, art/pol sci run, vegan, etc

this will probably be used to gauge how much money they will get when VSU does come in and the Uni applies the fee

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
mrbassman said:
this will probably be used to gauge how much money they will get when VSU does come in and the Uni applies the fee

Maybe this will be used as an avenue to get them out of the hoardes of debt.....

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I always tick all of them except for the Central Coast Campus one but I was just thinking about it when I was reenrolling today. The reenrollment form is for the whole year, right? So if VSU is taking effect in semester two, I would like to withdraw membership from the unions after semester one. Does anyone know if this will be possible:)?

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
ticking the box doesnt make you a member, remember you have to get your sticker and they check your info at the start of each year.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
rific said:
Has anyone heard how much we're paying this semester yet?
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/study/fees/index.html said:
The GSC for 2006 is still to be set however the GSC for 2005 was $182.00 per term (GST free).
The GSC for 2005 for Part time per term (less than 30 units) was $127 (GST free). You will be billed for your GSC twice in a calendar year even if you are studying in trimesters.
There ya have it.

rific

HSC
Figured it hadn't been set yet, oh well, I normally don't start the semester with any money left anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)