Unique expressions in other languages (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
What's an expression/idiom you've learned or heard in a foreign language which sounds funny to you when interpreted literally?

Mine will always be the English idiom: "It's raining cats and dogs".

1611387486770.png

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I know some but what Ive found is it sounds funny when interpreted literally in that language for the people that understand it. Translating it to English makes it lose it humour.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I know some but what Ive found is it sounds funny when interpreted literally in that language for the people that understand it. Translating it to English makes it lose it humour.

Really? Maybe I still find them funny in English because it’s not my first language.

Take a look at these for example:

“Pisser dans un violon” in French literally translates to “To piss in a violin” and is used when someone is wasting their time doing something pointless or not really beneficial.

"التكرار يعلم الحمار"
in Arabic literally translates to “Repetition teaches the donkey” and is basically the exact equivalent of “Practice makes perfect”.

It’s really interesting how different people express themselves in different languages.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Omae wa mou Shindeiru

NANI?!
I remember this song when I was learning french it was called tu as un animal, it was about getting learn ur animals and pets, it was pretty catchy, jimmy might know this song.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you speak Persian
Speak not so much, I think I know a few expressions but that's pretty much it. I can however, read and understand Persian and Urdu to a certain extent mainly because they use Arabic characters. :)

I'd say a language that I don't speak at native level that I feel rather confident speaking/reading is Spanish (and to a lesser extent Italian) because of its similarities with French. I find it quite easy to read and understand Spanish.

waliwiw

HSC
Every language is overflowing with idioms that only its speakers understand. I have always been interested in learning something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)