Unis that take only UAI with less than 1 yr FT study (ALL fails)? (1 Viewer)

heb10v39

HSC
I've done 1/2 years worth of full time uni study. I quit after 1st semester after doing appallingly and failing ALL of my 4 subjects. Im now applying for 2010 uni entry.

My 2008 UAI was 84.95 and I was wondering how badly my uni marks would affect my chances next yr?

As such I need a uni that won't consider my GPA. I heard that some unis like UNSW don't but I have to declare my studies and if they see my 4/4 fails will they reject me? Srsly if they consider my uni marks I wont even have a chance of getting into a course which say only requires 60 uai.

now this is very worrying for me cos obviously there were issues which caused me to fail my 1 semester of courses but i have not stated these to anyone. i know that if im given another opportunity next yr i will do well, but obviously they dont know that and seeing my marks they might think im not the right candidate?

I was going to put down B Visual Design @ University of Newcastle which had a cutoff of 80.6 last yr but im really worried that i wont get in because of my 1st sem fails.

honestly, if they take into account my ONE semester of uni marks what then...will i ever get into a uni course again??

The UAC prefereces are due end of this month so any replies will be great. im jsut really scared i wont get into any of them!! in that case im screwed and my academic career is in tatters all because i did one majorly bad semester. i really want uni education not TAFE or other methods.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Look into Open Uni (www.open.edu.au) and do VIS18 Introduction to Visual Culture (unit done by distance by Curtin Uni in WA) then VIS29 - Art and Fashion in the 20th Century and VIS310 Architecture and Culture: Histories of Revolution, Modernity and Honesty and VIS320 Nature and Terra: Landscape Art, Gardens and Environment. No entrance requirements - but done through a real uni, throw it on FEE-HELP (like HECS) and since you'll be able to prove you are worthy of uni level work - what better to show your worth to your next uni of choice? They have photography/drawing/other art ones available too (yes, yes, art isn't the same as design but better than nothing).

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
My advice would be for you to apply again through UAC. That way, your UAI would only be taken into consideration. That was the process which a friend of mine went through when he was in your situation.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
My advice would be for you to apply again through UAC. That way, your UAI would only be taken into consideration. That was the process which a friend of mine went through when he was in your situation.
This is what I did when I applied to Wollongong for Arts after failing a semester of Science Architecture at UNSW. I had a similar UAI to you, and had no problems.

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
this. I was in a similar situation to you with GPA, but when i applied to ANU i just did it thru UAC and i had no problems getting in.

on another note, i hope you're not beating yourself up too much for failing the semester. Sometimes these things just happen, for whatever reason. I felt for ages like i just wasn't cut out for Uni, but now that i'm doing a course that i really love, i have a great grade average. So failing some things isn't always a reflection of your ability :)

best of luck!

hotdimsim

HSC
A uni will ask why you did so bad, but as you were only there for a semester most will be happy to take you on you year 12 score as its more indicative of your ability level than 1 semester of uni. As your a non-yr 12 applicant you can back this up with a statement on your form.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
why not enter the workforce, then decide later if you want to go back to uni as a mature age student? uni didnt seem like the right decision the first time.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
have you considered a career in burger flipping?

how can you fail all your first year subjects? wtf?

apply as a mature age when you're over 21, or whatever it is, imho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)