• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Unit debate....(and help) (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know there is a general concensus goin around that '10 units = suicide' but man, one of my subjects (multimedia) i don't give a crap about. I get no work done, have done very little for my major and have very little patience for all the tedious crap involved. But I've been told having two units as 'back up' is also a good idea in case you screw up a subject like, you know accidentaly answer the multiple choice with every answer one down from the question u intended (its happened b4 to a guy a couple yrs back).

I'm thinking i might, after the holidays just drop it cause it scales shithouse and all my other subjects scale good, Physics, chem, 2umaths, ad eng and b.s. so even if i do keep mult and get a good mark one of my other subjects will prob count for uai cause they scale beta? should i just drop it and concentrate on doing well in those other subjects such as maths that I'm goin bad in?

CHeers

putri tini

HSC
Dude, i think the best thing is to drop it if you cant be bothered to do the work or just not interested because it wouldnt be counted anyways if you truly believe it will be your worse sub by the end of HSC.

Sure it can be a lil backup, but what i think you should lean towards is droping it to focus on the other subjects as multimedia scales down and not counted.
:)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well the reasoning behind the idea that ten units = suicide is most certainly not true especially in your case as that unit will not be any back up if you don't do want to truly do it. It would be like buying a faulty airbag in a car just for backup.

m_isk

HSC
N/A
yeh i was in the same boat, but my extra was business studies, which is approprately assigned the acronym bs. My school wouldn't let me drp givin me the whole back up argument..but then they did a backflip and said drop it if u like....so i did and life's great!!

HSC
if youre going well in your 10 units, then its not suicide! just maintain your current study habits, or go harder if you need a higher uai

HSC
Hmmmm......I guess it would be good to have some free's during school and multimedia does scale crap. Here's what I'll do, I'm getting my half-yearly results first week back of school so if they are all decent or if I know I can do better with a bit o study then I'll drop the damn subject.
I was kinda leaning towards dropping it anyway, especially after todays sad effort to get work done on my major, I just wanted some feed back neway.
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated :p

Is there anyone out there who had dropped to 10units and regretted it? Cause at the moment everyone doing 10 units or even 11 seems to be happy with the choice and make it sound like its the best thing they've ever done!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
The stupid thing is to be like me and do 12 units, when you only try in 10.

putri tini

HSC
glad you've come to a say... 80% decision!:)

I do 11unit and am pretty happy it was soo good to drop from 16units in preliminary hahaha :uhhuh:

Now i can focus on the subjects and do even better. *crossedfingers*

HSC
Yeah, i used to try in all 12 but now more like 10 which is prob why I might/willl drop it. It just seems like such a shame to do the subject when I'm already half way through......

16 units! hahaha year 11 must have sucked for you. but why have so many subjects in the first place? My guess........parents?

putri tini

HSC
haha well i only really was aware of 14units, 2 units of this extra music stuff was already part of my daily routine at school (ensembles, choir, orchestra, chamber music) which is still a big thing taking up heapsa time.

HSC
Music extension? lol didn't even know that existed. But yeah its a shame i can't do 11 units cause that would be a good comprimise. oh well.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I got sick of people giving me crap about doing 10units...I chose maths in yr 11 against my will bcoz there was only CAFS or Maths... I bludged all year coz I knew i was dropping it and would have to work really really hard to get good marks. I find my other subjects much easier and rather spend my time working on the units I am better at. Why spend all this time neglecting my other subjects to do better at maths and probably not have it count anyway. I made my decision to drop to 10units based on the fact that i ENJOYED the other 10 units much more thus I tried harder in them and did better and the fact that i got 80's -90's 4 everything else and 50 in maths.

Why torture myself with maths, compete with 3unit people and not try coz i hated it so much or try so hard that my other subjects suffer 4 a subject that may not count?

/rant

I think basically its a personal choice, some people should do 12 units if they are doing very difficult subjects, like them all, can manage time really well, are doing well in them or need them 4 uni or tafe but others shouldn't. really it is wat is best 4 u :)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
10 units is fine if you work hard in all 10 of your units :p

im doing 11 units currently this year, and im happy with it. however i also finished 3 HSC units last year giving me 14 total for the HSC after i finish my 11 more units this year. I like all my subjects this year, so i wont be dropping them, but yeh whatever :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)