Unit Issue - UWS MAKES ME CRY! (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Unit Issue

Today I went to Parra UWS for the academic advising session for the combined. I asked the guy there (Mac collings) who was in charge of the combined law degrees. He told me to meet him afterwards in his office.

I went to his office in the law school and was stopped by some receptionist lady. I told her that I was asked to come see him in his office now and she full ignored it and was just like 'what is the problem'. And I told her the problem. Then she typed the course code into the computer and said 'you need to go to the college of business. It is the long building down near the tennis courts.' I insisted that the collings dude told me to see him and she continued to ignore it saying that he didn't which is really weird considering she did shit all in contacting him. I then went to the college of bussiness place and there was no one there except for a guy who told me no one was there. I then went to the student centre and they told me to go to the computer labs to enrol. I went to the computer lab building and went inside...it was empty and smelt of paint. Then I saw a sign saying it was under maintenance and should be locked at all time lol. Then I went to the library to use those computers to try enrolling for the unit again and the search came out with nothing. I asked them and they told me to go back to the student centre. At the student centre I told another person my problem and I explained that the unit comes up on the handbook but in the enrollment search it does not come up. So then she went on the handbook and searched the unit and it came up and she was acting like a smart ass saying 'see it comes up its in the handbook being offered in 2007'. Then I again explained that I am aware of that however it does not come up in a unit search on the enrollment page so it can not be added to my enrollment because it can not be found. Then she again told me to go to the school of economics and finance because I had obviously done something wrong (even though I had successfully enrolled in all my other units for the year). I went there to find no one. Then I left and now I'm here...

Now to the actual point -
In the spring session of my first year in the combined B Laws(Economics and finance)/ B Laws (http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=2518.1) I have to do 200488 Corporate Financial Management. When I first attempted to enrol it said I could not because it required prerequisite subjects that according to the handbook I do in my 2nd year. Anyway, a few days later I attempted to enrol in the unit again and now a unit search on the enrollment page receives 0 units. Does anyone else have any ideas? I suppose I'd call Mac Collings? ARgh stupid online enrolment!

Has anyone else done the B Business (Economics & Finance)/ B Laws course and experienced this problem? And if so...what was their resolution?

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
And around a week ago I emailed enrollments and am yet to have any reply...

L

LaraB

GO AND SEE MAC IN PERSON!!!!

I can't stress enough the importance of that because recptionist people are generally dumb shits who really don't care if you're enrolled properly or not...

Mac is a really nice guy and he's sorted out stuff for me and friends before and if you can't enrol properly, if you've spoken to him, you won't be penalised for it as in prevented from enrolling if there's quotas on teh unit or anything because he'll go and whineg in person.

Give him a call first to make sure he's in the office and go arrange to go and see him.

If a reception lady stops you when you go see him - just tell them you need to speak to Mac in person because you need a written note from him or something like that - i.e. lie :p to make sure you get to see him.

If you didn't get his info on any of the docs you got at the session just look it up on the staff directory on the website.

Don't stress too much though :) if it's spring semester, you have a whole 6 months to sort it out.

It could be much worse - you could be not enrolled in your course like me after having completed 1 year of it and being given schoarships by the uni on teh basis that you're in that course :rolleyes: lol... much more of a hassle to fix :p

unit stuff normally g ets sorted pretty quick so don't worry too much :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
GO AND SEE MAC IN PERSON!!!!

I can't stress enough the importance of that because recptionist people are generally dumb shits who really don't care if you're enrolled properly or not...

Mac is a really nice guy and he's sorted out stuff for me and friends before and if you can't enrol properly, if you've spoken to him, you won't be penalised for it as in prevented from enrolling if there's quotas on teh unit or anything because he'll go and whineg in person.

Give him a call first to make sure he's in the office and go arrange to go and see him.

If a reception lady stops you when you go see him - just tell them you need to speak to Mac in person because you need a written note from him or something like that - i.e. lie :p to make sure you get to see him.

If you didn't get his info on any of the docs you got at the session just look it up on the staff directory on the website.

Don't stress too much though :) if it's spring semester, you have a whole 6 months to sort it out.

It could be much worse - you could be not enrolled in your course like me after having completed 1 year of it and being given schoarships by the uni on teh basis that you're in that course :rolleyes: lol... much more of a hassle to fix :p

unit stuff normally g ets sorted pretty quick so don't worry too much :)
Thanks for the reassurance and advice...:)
I'll call him 2moro I suppose and see what'll happen...I couldn't help but get really stressed after spending 3 hours walking around in the sun trying to work out something that probably would be easily fixed if they just listened for a minute!

What I worked out from today about UWS law is that I am probably the only person who got in with a UAI over the cut off:p The people I asked got uais in low to mid 80's or had been tafe students. In a sense I was dissappointed because the cut off of 90 would ensure more dedicated students. But yeah...people can still prove themselves at uni...and hopefully it'll make it easier for me to be at the top of the class.

L

LaraB

ari89 said:
Thanks for the reassurance and advice...:)
I'll call him 2moro I suppose and see what'll happen...I couldn't help but get really stressed after spending 3 hours walking around in the sun trying to work out something that probably would be easily fixed if they just listened for a minute!

What I worked out from today about UWS law is that I am probably the only person who got in with a UAI over the cut off:p The people I asked got uais in low to mid 80's or had been tafe students. In a sense I was dissappointed because the cut off of 90 would ensure more dedicated students. But yeah...people can still prove themselves at uni...and hopefully it'll make it easier for me to be at the top of the class.

lol dedication doesn't necessarily increase with UAI - my brother was the year above me - when it was still 93+ and there is no greater dedication amongst students in his 'year' than in mine...

Just comes down to the particular people, plus - a large group are mature aged etc and not everyone goes to teh advising day so it shouldn't be too bad.

I thought the same thing coz when i went to one of the scholarshpi presentation things i was told I had one of the top handful of UAI's of people going to UWS which shocked me because i didn't get 99+, but you'll find that UAI doesn't equate to work ethic - some of the people i get on with best at uni and opt to do group work etc with are ex TAFE students who totally bombed their HSC, or people who only just scraped into the course.

Often those who just got in are more determined to prove themselves just as much as people who got in clear are to prove they didn't just do well in HSC and that's it.

Its not too hard to pick out the annoying/lazy people by the first few weeks - they're usually the ones who are late for class, stink of alcohol when they get there lol courtesy of the uni bar, don't do the readings and thus can't answer any of the lecturers questions...

Just avoid doing group work with them lol :)

remember too - you're doing a double degree - you get to know people who aren't doing your law half who may or may not be hard working too and even though they aren't in your law classes, having people who work properly in the other side kinda lessens the workload and allows more time for law study in turn

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
LaraB said:
lol dedication doesn't necessarily increase with UAI - my brother was the year above me - when it was still 93+ and there is no greater dedication amongst students in his 'year' than in mine...

Just comes down to the particular people, plus - a large group are mature aged etc and not everyone goes to teh advising day so it shouldn't be too bad.

I thought the same thing coz when i went to one of the scholarshpi presentation things i was told I had one of the top handful of UAI's of people going to UWS which shocked me because i didn't get 99+, but you'll find that UAI doesn't equate to work ethic - some of the people i get on with best at uni and opt to do group work etc with are ex TAFE students who totally bombed their HSC, or people who only just scraped into the course.

Often those who just got in are more determined to prove themselves just as much as people who got in clear are to prove they didn't just do well in HSC and that's it.

Its not too hard to pick out the annoying/lazy people by the first few weeks - they're usually the ones who are late for class, stink of alcohol when they get there lol courtesy of the uni bar, don't do the readings and thus can't answer any of the lecturers questions...

Just avoid doing group work with them lol :)

remember too - you're doing a double degree - you get to know people who aren't doing your law half who may or may not be hard working too and even though they aren't in your law classes, having people who work properly in the other side kinda lessens the workload and allows more time for law study in turn
Yeah my assumption/judgement was a bit swift based on not much at all...I'm really eager to start and prove myself through the course and I hope I find some people to group with that feel that way - in both the law and bus degree.

Do you happen to know how many people do B Business (Economics and finance) because everyone I asked today was doing HR/IR and my problem with enrolling would lead me to assume its not the most popular elective.

*sasha*

HSC
aw most people i talked to were doing economics and finance and i didnt think anyone else was doing hr and ir? so maybe we were both talking to the wrong people :p
and ill admit i was one of those people that slacked off in the hsc but when it comes to something that im passionate about, like law, im pretty much definite im gunna work my butt off coz i wanna do it that badly. so yeah u cant really assume stuff like that coz im sure theres heaps of people like that. especially those people who worked their way in through tafe or something coz that would be really hard im guessing?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
*sasha* said:
aw most people i talked to were doing economics and finance and i didnt think anyone else was doing hr and ir? so maybe we were both talking to the wrong people :p
and ill admit i was one of those people that slacked off in the hsc but when it comes to something that im passionate about, like law, im pretty much definite im gunna work my butt off coz i wanna do it that badly. so yeah u cant really assume stuff like that coz im sure theres heaps of people like that. especially those people who worked their way in through tafe or something coz that would be really hard im guessing?
Haha we must hve been talking to the wrong people indeed...congrats on gettin into law anyway...if ur gonna work hard feel free to be friends with me:) I need someone to help keep me motivated:p

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
*sasha* said:
OR...maybe we were talking to each other?:eek:

*sasha*

HSC
haha congrats to u too! and yay more friends! yeah that sounds cool. and nah we probably didnt talk to each other coz i was hanging with the same people the whole time and none of them had to go to the student centre or anything..

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
There is an exception for that uni for combined law students ring up but it should be fine because I know lots of people who did.
oops i missed you post...if heaps of people do it why do they make it so hard?=(

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
last year 1st years enrolled on campus including their units so it wouldn't have got the auto incorrect message that you guys got from doing it online
Now its not an error message...now its just gone!

HSC
yeah... the ppl around there doesnt seem that nice.. unlike.. WHEN they needed us... like open days...

OMG the computers there are soo old..

AND>. there are no faculites.. as far as i know.. well the parra one.. casue i had the advice day... todayy ....

Yeah there seems to be a lot of adults who turned up.. dont seem to be many teens.. well highschool grads. from 06.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
lilkiwicutie89 said:
yeah... the ppl around there doesnt seem that nice.. unlike.. WHEN they needed us... like open days...

AND>. there are no faculites.. as far as i know.. well the parra one.. casue i had the advice day... todayy ....

Yeah there seems to be a lot of adults who turned up.. dont seem to be many teens.. well highschool grads. from 06.
The computers in the library weren't that bad...
What course were u there for?

G

Gavvvvvin

Ha the computers at Penn were full dodgy. And so was the building where we had out advisory thing. It was like a construction zone.

L

LaraB

lilkiwicutie89 said:

1 - there are nice people just as there are "not-nice" people
2 - the copmuters are not "sooo old"
3 - there are facilities - there's a bar, cafe, library, tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball nets up, ovals, study rooms, computer labs etc

Why not save the whinging and judgments until you've actually spent some time there to justify the complaints...

Half the bitching and whinging people seem to have about UWS is exactly the same as you would experience at any uni so it's not worth the bother mentioning... people will be rude at every uni, not every campus has every facility, but amongst the campuses there are the same facilities as at single campus unis, the computers, some are old, some are new - they're all more than adequate for what you n eed them for.. every uni has old and new equipment...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Whats the new building used for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)