Units of measurement (1 Viewer)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I don't really know how to ask this so I'll show an example first:

The way I would solve this, would just be

My teacher told me that I should change the units to base units first before doing the calculations, though I find it easier manipulating the units afterwards. Is this something I could get marked down for in an exam?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I don't really know how to ask this so I'll show an example first:

The way I would solve this, would just be

My teacher told me that I should change the units to base units first before doing the calculations, though I find it easier manipulating the units afterwards. Is this something I could get marked down for in an exam?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Alright, thank you. I like keeping the units in the equations as it helps me make sure I'm applying all the formulas correctly. That way I can always check that the units on both sides of the equation match up and that I didn't use an incorrect variable somewhere.

leehuan

HSC
Alright, thank you. I like keeping the units in the equations as it helps me make sure I'm applying all the formulas correctly. That way I can always check that the units on both sides of the equation match up and that I didn't use an incorrect variable somewhere.
In the exam you could just bring a highlighter with you and mark every time you make a substitution on the question booklet.

Or you can do what my physics teacher recommended - Actually write out a conversion first (which is basically what IG did). You can't apply a formula incorrectly if you have all the variables written out in front of you, and the formula rewritten. (This means, actually write F=mv^2/r instead of just substitute immediately.)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
In the exam you could just bring a highlighter with you and mark every time you make a substitution on the question booklet.

Or you can do what my physics teacher recommended - Actually write out a conversion first (which is basically what IG did). You can't apply a formula incorrectly if you have all the variables written out in front of you, and the formula rewritten. (This means, actually write F=mv^2/r instead of just substitute immediately.)
Yeah, I always write the formula first, but I'm still very prone to making silly mistakes. :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)