Units?! (1 Viewer)

Punkcess

Trapped In Your Guitar
HSC
Can someone please explain how units and credit points work

ReaveR

HSC
A unit is well... a subject.

Generally a unit will be worth 3cp, and to complete a degree you require a set amount of credit points, as well as having them split up among 100, 200 and 300 level units.

Note credit points and whatnot are different at other unis.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Being a 1st year, I know how difficult it is to understand what credit point were and had lots of trouble organizing each year and allocating the right number of credit points to each level subject.

Good luck.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
exactly as explained

unit is uni language for subject

each subject is worth a number of credit points
each subject is allocated to a 'level' - 100, 200 or 300 level, with 100 level being the easier/less specified subjects that you normally have to do before 200 level.

most subjects are worth 3 credit points (cp)
your degree outline will tell you how many cp you have to do for the degree

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
most subjects are worth 3 credit points (cp)
your degree outline will tell you how many cp you have to do for the degree
Maybe it's just all the ones I do are worth 4cps :S edit: yep, all the AHST and HIST subs above a 100 level are 4 cps. :D:D:D

Units = subjects.
Coherent = a group of units you need to do to qualify for a major (= your 'big' subject area) or just a degree.

Arts degrees have a coherent requiring 16 credit points from 300 level units: ie, 4 300 level units. Not only this, but you have to do a total amount of credit points (inclusive of the 4x 300s), so most higher level subjects have prerequisites.

Prereqs = units that need to be done before another unit is done. The prereq system ensures that students do basic units before others are completed. A coherent thus comes to a kind of ladder which a student climbs by completing increasingly higher subjects.

X

xeuyrawp

ReaveR said:
A few of mine are 4cp, but only like two or three.
That's weird... We both have to do 68 CPs, but 90% of my units are 4cps. Maybe it's because we can only really do 3-4 units per sem.

ReaveR

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's weird... We both have to do 68 CPs, but 90% of my units are 4cps. Maybe it's because we can only really do 3-4 units per sem.
Does that mean you can finish really quickly? lol
I have to do 96cp, and only three of those units have 4cp.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
He probably finishes earlier, but its worth more time :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
He probably finishes earlier, but its worth more time :)
If I do chose to do law, I won't finish earlier :p

With doing hons, AHPG units, a tonne of electives (more than will probably counts- german and french...) etc, I'm going to be there till I die:(

Tabris

HSC
Just off the topic.

Which is better,

3 more years to go with 4 units a semester each? or 4 more yeas with 3 units each?

X

xeuyrawp

Tabris said:
3 more years to go with 4 units a semester each? or 4 more yeas with 3 units each?
Depends what's happening in your life. If you have a job, maybe you're doing difficult units, maybe you have long travel to uni? I'd say go for less. Spending an extra year is no big deal, if having less units (and hence better marks) will make you more satisfied in the end.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah it really depends on what you want to do, id say 4x3

ND

HSC
I'm doing 3 subjects this sem and it seems to be just as easy as 4 subjects (even 5) , cos you just spend even more time fucking around.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
ND said:
I'm doing 3 subjects this sem and it seems to be just as easy as 4 subjects (even 5) , cos you just spend even more time fucking around.
Lol you don't do science or have 4 hours pracs for each subject.

4 science units is hell.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i agree - do 12 cp worth every semester, which is 4 subjects, unless you work a lot or have other stuff taking up your time

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
i agree - do 12 cp worth every semester, which is 4 subjects, unless you work a lot or have other stuff taking up your time
meh, it totally depends on the situation.

I'm doing 11 cp (3 subs), and my marks are significantly higher than last sem. I think I prefer to stay at uni an extra sem or two and get significantly better marks- especially considering I want to work there after.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
im doing 2 subjects this semester (not by choice, but because i cant do anymore due to prerequisites etc) and it hasnt changed my marks at all or give me more time to focus on my subjects, i just fuck around more and have 2 subjects less to procrastinate for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)