Universities lie about their course cutoffs (1 Viewer)

Hanzo

HSC
i have noticed that unis are not telling the truth by falsifying the true cut off mark for their courses... as i have spoken to many people who have been given an offer, whom have uai's lower than the cut off advertised by the unis and in the papers.
and these same people did not apply for no disadvantaged schemes to get extra bonus marks etc etc .. none of that.. jus applied normally like what the average person would do...

gorgo31

HSC
Antler said:
It's called a middle band.
UAC doesn't recognise the middle band in the way that VTAC does. VTAC actually publishes statistics and gives data on the percentage of those accepted below the Clearly-In ENTER. UAC gives a plain UAI cut-off and technically, students should not be given admission under that. Of course, there are additional criteria that some Universities will look at (disadvantaged, took certain subjects, region etc.) but officially no middle band exists.

Gav is right - the Universities aim to look more prestigous by publishing unrealistic cut-offs. And naturally, the less established Universities are more likely to do this, or sometimes those offering new courses.

Hanzo

HSC
yup yup
UTS is one of those unis that does that
making offers to people who have uais under the cut offs
and the people i talked to got into the HECS ones not FEEs..
yeah at least we know this sorta sh*t exists..

perhaps their too ashamed to make their cutoff a 79 or sumfing.. bcoz it makes the course looks better if it was at say 84
hhahahaa

wonder if its against the law to purposely misrepresent data..

peace^^

X

xeuyrawp

Hanzo said:
UTS is one of those unis that does that
making offers to people who have uais under the cut offs
I'm not picking on UTS, or saying it happens more/less frequently there than others, but I noticed a lot of UTS students had gotten in with lower than the advertised UAIs. I know six people by name who had gotten lower; two of which were quite significant.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What I don't understand is, according to the uac admissions guy... I had more than enough marks to get into uts law (dfee). Yet they rejected me on the basis of my questionaire, claiming it wasn't good enough. This was very interesting considering I had work experience, previous law school experience etc...

They have vacancies... they want my money, but the faculty wasn't happy with my questionaire so I don't have a chance at getting an offer.

Hanzo

HSC
UWS doesnt lie about their cut offs..
thats why its soo low u see
they have nothing to hide

dont like how UTS lies to us.. misleading all the students.. making us think the cut offs is this.. when it is much lower..
how dare they.. !!!

peace^^

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Hanzo said:

dont like how UTS lies to us.. misleading all the students.. making us think the cut offs is this.. when it is much lower..
how dare they.. !!!

peace^^
Nah I know a few 'stories' at least of people at uws getting in with lower uai's.

Hanzo

HSC
well there u go then !!

all unis do dis !

its wrong !
they shouldnt do this!

the cut off mark is meant to represent the mark of the last person who got into the course..

bobby2004

Management
HSC
N/A
Some advice man!

Not-That-Bright said:
What I don't understand is, according to the uac admissions guy... I had more than enough marks to get into uts law (dfee). Yet they rejected me on the basis of my questionaire, claiming it wasn't good enough. This was very interesting considering I had work experience, previous law school experience etc...

They have vacancies... they want my money, but the faculty wasn't happy with my questionaire so I don't have a chance at getting an offer.

Oh come on man! Be optimistic. You WILL get an offer. Maybe not this year, or next year but your time will come.

In regards to the questionnaire that the university didn't feel was good enough, was it a personal qualities test? Personal qualities are very important in selescting students from the pool of the population. I am assumunig that you were not interviewed because it would defy the purpose of personal qualities (unless you were interviewed if you reached the last pool of people that passed personal qualities). With lots of people applying for law and achieving the cut off, the university needs some type of other method to select their students. It may be harsh if you just miss out (but think about it if the university made one exception to every people in 100. Thats alot of university places left!)

In regards to previous law school experience- why couldn't you transfer to the university that you wanted to apply for? Did the law credits count or was it not the same course?

In terms of your previous work experience, it doesn't cut it. The majority of people that get a uai have had work experience. There is no working quality that i see that shows that you are better than the rest of the students that have worked.

Law is tough to get into man. I have 2 friends that made it into law and when you get into it it is all hard work. I am not one for discouraging, but think of all the possibilities out there. I got a uai of 99 and missed out of medicine. I am now in my second year of psychology, studying at the university of NSW. That's how easy it is to miss out. Keep trying and the best of luck dude!:wave:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh come on man! Be optimistic. You WILL get an offer. Maybe not this year, or next year but your time will come.
I am being optimistic dude, I'm not down about missing out on my offer or anything man ;)

In terms of your previous work experience, it doesn't cut it. The majority of people that get a uai have had work experience. There is no working quality that i see that shows that you are better than the rest of the students that have worked.
My work experience was legally relevant, and they specifically ask about it in the questionaire.

Law is tough to get into man. I have 2 friends that made it into law and when you get into it it is all hard work. I am not one for discouraging, but think of all the possibilities out there. I got a uai of 99 and missed out of medicine. I am now in my second year of psychology, studying at the university of NSW. That's how easy it is to miss out. Keep trying and the best of luck dude!
Yea. I'm taking a new approach and going to try to transfer to Arts at usyd, I'm going to try for graduate law (maybe at some aus uni, maybe back at uws, maybe overseas) later on and for now on focus on some other topics I find very interesting :)

In regards to the questionnaire that the university didn't feel was good enough, was it a personal qualities test? Personal qualities are very important in selescting students from the pool of the population. I am assumunig that you were not interviewed because it would defy the purpose of personal qualities (unless you were interviewed if you reached the last pool of people that passed personal qualities). With lots of people applying for law and achieving the cut off, the university needs some type of other method to select their students. It may be harsh if you just miss out (but think about it if the university made one exception to every people in 100. Thats alot of university places left!)
The questionaire just asks you about your interest in law, work experience, previous law school experience and community service (an area where i'm lacking). The main problem I have is that they still have vacancies for the course I wanted to get into, and they still won't give me an offer :/

Thanks for the kind words tho buddy, you seem like a nice bloke :)

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Mmm, my theory is the course wasn't popular enough to fill it's quota with people higher than the cut-off, so they cheated and let other people in. Wish it happened to me.

But it is interesting though, why they don't change the cut-off when it's published. My friend received an offer and a scholarship to a course with an 82.something cut-off, with an 80 UAI. It makes me sad that I scored 10+ UAI points above her and I may be forced to submit to a dfee offer because my UAI falls 2 points short (unless the gods are very, very good to me).

Guess 82 sounds better than 80?

phrred

HSC
Hanzo said:

how dare they.. !!!

peace^^
usyd does dat dat too ive noticed with science and advanced science my friend got 94 last yr n got in wen it was 96 or sumthn for advanced, n my otha friend got into land and water science n got 70. The cutoff was 73, he deffered and this year it was 77

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Haha. I can't believe BoS is a reliable source of news for the SMH.

Hanzo

HSC
that smh article sucked
but there you go..
n e thing we say here can b used in the public press
wat a long way bos has gone..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:

Damn thats hard luck :(

I was in a similar position, wanted to get into law, had previous experience my marks weren't great but meh, in the end i got tired of waiting and found a better degree, if i want to do law, i could always do it post-grad :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)