University choices, dilemmas, decisions... (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
LottoX, what the hell is with the 'Backstreet Boys' in your sig?!! What has it got to do with your HSC subjects? Oh i get it - you want to be a backstreet boy, lol.
its because he 'wants it that way'. lame fag ;)

haha shimmy you seem to be a very pro-usyd person which means you probably are gonna end up going there even if your parents, your friends, or the rest of the BoS people tell you to reconsider.

i say just let it be because if your heart is already set on usyd then that means already you have an incentive to work hard for the hsc and achieve the marks you so desire (as opposed to some people who have no clue what's happening after the hsc and so might find it hard to get motivated at this crucial time)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
there isn't really a problem if you don't care about the quality of your course, which i think is even more important than the university. i commute 2-3 days a week to UOW from the north shore purely because of my creative arts course which is fan-fucking-tastic, after that's done i'll finish my arts somewhere else.

it's hard to know what you want to do at university when you're in year 12 and thinking that this choice will dictate your life career. it won't. choose something you're interested in and go for it. even though i'm doing a creative arts degree i was lucky enough to get a fantastic paying job at a law firm.

and i hate USyd because of the apparent "prestige", the pretentious art faculty and general attitude that it's "the best". i could've gone there too but it was at the bottom of my preference list.

shimmy&shine

HSC
hhmmmm... shall I admit.

I guess my heart is set on sydney uni

Hey bobness, thanks for that. and Brogan, and everyone else.

But uh, please advise me. Doing a general ARTS course? Is that a good idea?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Doing a general arts course is good, there are a large selection of classes to choose from. It's also good if you don't know exactly what you want to do and if you do well in your classes there's also the possibility of changing degrees if you decide to focus on something else.

But really you shouldn't be basing everything on what we say, do what you want and if it doesn't work out it's not that hard to fix it.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Tulipa said:
it's hard to know what you want to do at university when you're in year 12 and thinking that this choice will dictate your life career. it won't. choose something you're interested in and go for it. even though i'm doing a creative arts degree i was lucky enough to get a fantastic paying job at a law firm.
It is SO DIFFICULT, but thank you for reminding me that it won't dictate my life.

Yeah, but my careers advisor aka dt, as much as he fantastically tries, does not help me. My all know what they are doing, well most of them anyway, so it's nice to get a diversity of opinions.

Alright, then arts it is for me then. Now - I have to go through the UAC guide and go through the gazillion courses in arts. (is that even how it works?!?) Never mind.
'
Thanks, you've all been a help.

Last edited by a moderator:

shimmy&shine

HSC
ok, now I'm completely and hopelessly lost in this arts sphere of things. lol, but that's ok.

What's the point of joining it with another faculty? (I hope i don't seem completely clueless) because i have no interest in any of them (I hope I don't sound like I have no interests, either).

But hey, ARTS at USYD sounds good. THanks for clearing that up. What are you planning to do Bobness? Sounds like you got it all sorted. And maybe I should have gone to usyd open day today. Are you on track to achieveing the 100 uai?

bobness said:
wanna work as an archaeologist? choose some ancient history majors, rack up some good practical experience (with the help of usyd's excellent connections) and your career path is almost as hard-set as the rocks you investigate - the tough ones that is.
Although I'm an outdoor girl, digging for rocks ain't my cup of tea.

But thanks for that one ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
the 100 uai was kind of a joke

i'd be happy with 98 lol

joining it with another faculty just means you have more opportunities to move into other spheres upon graduation. iono i was told to think where i want to be 5-10 years in the future. i think i said in bed =/

shimmy&shine

HSC
haha, now I'm feeling sleepy.

In 5-10 years, I want to be married with kids, with a hot husband. there. complete. lol.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Word of advice to you guys who want to do Arts at USyd. It may have a great rep, but it's way underfunded these days. As an example I had an Arts tut with 34+ people, we literally didn't have enough chairs and desks for everyone, and the course itself was co-ordinated by a foriegn exchange teaching assistant with no dedicated PhD.

Monstar

HSC
Probz macquarie. Macquarie is the closest uni to me and prolly the one with the best name. The other closest one is the UWS parra one, would go there but ya know.. the name and all..

Boots Riley

HSC
I've always been thinking towards a Bachelor Of Arts degree, however I've never been sure on what university. After visiting Sydney Uni today, well.. :)

..but I'd always been thinking UNSW. What exactly am I comparing, when looking at courses?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Boots Riley said:
I've always been thinking towards a Bachelor Of Arts degree, however I've never been sure on what university. After visiting Sydney Uni today, well.. :)

..but I'd always been thinking UNSW. What exactly am I comparing, when looking at courses?
what major are you looking to do? what are you planning to use your arts degree towards when you finish uni?

those are two major questions when thinking about an arts degree as it's quite vague and different arts faculties have different strengths when it comes to whatever major you choose.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Boots Riley said:

Both have good reps, but what you can do is very different Usyd has archeology, UNSW has politics, etc.

Boots Riley

HSC
Maybe a philosophy/politics kinda thing; I've always been interested in things like that. History is also towards the top.

I'd also like to learn a language - Japanese. Not sure if I should do something like this so soon though.

However all could be decided on my English result. If I can't succeed in an HSC English course, how would I survive at uni? :)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
shimmy&shine said:
Well Uni of Wollongong is too far to travel.
I flicked through UAC and see UTS social inquiry interesting...
other than that, I'm still a bit stuck. Maybe I should just do a general Arts course, but then people are telling me that won't get me anywhere.
Damn people and their mouths.

Actually, Tulipa, why the hell are there so so so many people who say the hate sydney uni? They REALLY hate that place.

Anyway, I have no career goals, other than to be successful (doesn't help cause that's everyone), no career interest.

atoms, disembodied arms, and building bridges don't interest me.
Do Psychology.

Edit: Really, you will do Psychology, Art (Psychology), not the science one. You will pass with a Credit average. Good Luck.

Last edited:

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Boots Riley said:
Maybe a philosophy/politics kinda thing; I've always been interested in things like that. History is also towards the top.

I'd also like to learn a language - Japanese. Not sure if I should do something like this so soon though.

However all could be decided on my English result. If I can't succeed in an HSC English course, how would I survive at uni? :)
If that's what you want to do I'd recomend UNSW Arts. There is no politics major in USyd Arts. If you wanted to do it at USyd you would have to do Social Science (4 year degree as opposed to three). If an Asian language is what you're after, well... Just look around UNSW and you'll see what I mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)