University Grades. (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond

If it really matters, you replied 8:18:29 PM, and Ms 12 replied at 8:18:48 PM:).
hey thanks, how did u work it out? and yes i beat her to it!

Ribbon

Originally posted by Generator
Ah, how?
Most people enter a unit with the same number of units under their belt ,so I cannot see 'older' students are advantaged in any way.
Not really... alot of the classes that make up the first year of my course have students from other years who have chosen it as an introductory elective... I was talking to a guy in my busn1001 tute the other day who is in 4th year (can't remember what course, but it was an elective outside of his faculty)

santaslayer

HSC
In what way? I did not pick up on that idea at all.
i just thought that he/she was referring to "older" students as the graduates doing a postgrad course.....like med or law or woteva. i have a 63 year old doing first year foundation law with us little kiddies, and also a handful of mid 40 year olds.!!!!!

this being said, these people do the accelerated course of 3 or 4 years (so in the 1st semester they combine both 1st and 2nd year subjects) which will prove a lot harder.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So does Newcastle University use any scaling system at all:confused:?
i cant answer for scaling, but i know 4 sure now, newcastle DOES NOT use the bell curve system, what we earn/deserve is what we get.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
its like the UAI
scale scale and scale
well its good for uws coz ppls arnt as smart/nerdy so im more likely to get da Ds and HDs, coz its like a HSC/UAI but instead of competing with the whole state, i only compete with uws students !! mueahaehae.. its gonna be a piece of cake :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
hey thanks, how did u work it out? and yes i beat her to it!
You know when you get a "Bored of Studies Mailer" email when you get a reply to a thread that you have posted in? Well, it has the time that the email was sent i.e. "Sent : Friday, 19 March 2004 10:00:48 AM":).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
i just thought that he/she was referring to "older" students as the graduates doing a postgrad course.....like med or law or woteva. i have a 63 year old doing first year foundation law with us little kiddies, and also a handful of mid 40 year olds.!!!!!

this being said, these people do the accelerated course of 3 or 4 years (so in the 1st semester they combine both 1st and 2nd year subjects) which will prove a lot harder.
How do they get to do an accelerated course:confused:?

Originally posted by Asquithian
whats with uts and their pass fail system ?!?!
I think that is just with certain Degrees, like Arts in Communication for example (I think):).

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i cant answer for scaling, but i know 4 sure now, newcastle DOES NOT use the bell curve system, what we earn/deserve is what we get.
OK, that is good. Thanks for that hipsta_jess:).

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
its like the UAI
scale scale and scale
well its good for uws coz ppls arnt as smart/nerdy so im more likely to get da Ds and HDs, coz its like a HSC/UAI but instead of competing with the whole state, i only compete with uws students !! mueahaehae.. its gonna be a piece of cake :)
hahah dingo your soo up yourself.. LOL

HSC
N/A
Ah, how?
Most people enter a unit with the same number of units under their belt ,so I cannot see 'older' students are advantaged in any way.
What I meant with older students having an advantage was that as people become older their intellectual capacity increases...
for example in most of my classes most people are in their 20s and have come from tafe, transfered courses, not in their first year....etc...
so wouldn't that be a disadvantage for the students who just left high school and aren't adapted to uni work...
this is assuming that most older students have a higher standard of work...

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
oh wells
der older than u so who cares
think of this... when your their age you would be further im life than they are now at that age...

so if u compare with age you are still better off ...

and for quoting myself .. man i think my friend hacked me

santaslayer

HSC
How do they get to do an accelerated course:confused:?

I think that is just with certain Degrees, like Arts in Communication for example (I think):).

OK, that is good. Thanks for that hipsta_jess:).
because they arnt undergraduates.....
they only do law, and nothing combined.......
law is accelerated in terms of speed......they finish earlier.....so they same amount of subjects in less time......

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by boredofschool
What I meant with older students having an advantage was that as people become older their intellectual capacity increases...
for example in most of my classes most people are in their 20s and have come from tafe, transfered courses, not in their first year....etc...
so wouldn't that be a disadvantage for the students who just left high school and aren't adapted to uni work...
this is assuming that most older students have a higher standard of work...
yesss.......what i meant was the above, u put it more clearly.....im getting merethehound confuzzled/...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
they only do law, and nothing combined.......
Is that the same at every University though? Does every University require you to do a combined Law degree in order to get the degree:confused:?

law is accelerated in terms of speed......they finish earlier.....so they same amount of subjects in less time......
I understand that they will do the degree faster, but wouldn't they be finishing faster because they only have to do a single degree:confused:?

yesss.......what i meant was the above, u put it more clearly.....im getting merethehound confuzzled/...
You sure are:D, but I understand now (if you are trying to say what boredofschool was):).

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Is that the same at every University though? Does every University require you to do a combined Law degree in order to get the degree:confused:?

I understand that they will do the degree faster, but wouldn't they be finishing faster because they only have to do a single degree:confused:?

You sure are:D, but I understand now (if you are trying to say what boredofschool was):).

1) every uni in aus i understand requires a combined law degree for undergraduates

2) yes that is right, but cnsidering they do foundation of law type courses coupled with hardcore contract, public and criminal law is no easy task!...:p ....and yes they will be finishing faster.......like 2 years faster

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
1) every uni in aus i understand requires a combined law degree for undergraduates
Nope....ANU doesn't, nor does UTS, a probably a few others but they're the two Ive looked at

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
2) yes that is right, but cnsidering they do foundation of law type courses coupled with hardcore contract, public and criminal law is no easy task!...:p ....and yes they will be finishing faster.......like 2 years faster
I know that, but the reason they are finishing two years faster is because they are only doing one degree, and not two like yourself, not because they are accelerated (as you said at first). Anyway wouldn't you do public and criminal law in your undergraduate Law degree anyway:confused:?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)