University in America. (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168

plus, the costs of attending are huuuuuuuuge, they dont have any sort of hecs system and the fees for international students are big.

they don't have a hecs system but I think you get bout 15 years to complete payment so its not that bad

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah but if merathrond is think of ivy league than that is in excess of AUD$60000 a year! :eek: but thats only for the top ivy leagues though...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey merethrond...just curious as to why you're so desperate to live in the U.S?

santaslayer

HSC
I knew a girl that did IB and she equivalent to 100%, she ended up in the newspapers too..shes attending law at Harvard!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there was another girl (from MLC) in the papers who did an IB, got a perfect score and was offered a place at Cambridge :eek: but she hasnt gone yet and is doing physics at UNSW or USYD...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
IB is HARD!
it is not like the HSC...

don't underestimate it

it takes a lot of hard work because most of the people who go for the IB are smart people and your challenging the best of the best...something like that

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
why do u want to go to america? its really not all its made out to be. All the americans are coming here to go to uni, maybe u should take that as a hint....
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I have been really busy lately.

I have just wanted to go move to America for so long now. I also want to try my luck as an actor. Life behind a desk is just not cut out for me I think:).

Originally posted by GoodToGo
As my American business lecturer exaggerates(?): "our whole frickin uni is probably worth less than one of their buildings."
:lol:

Originally posted by GoodToGo
And Merethrond rox for having Brand New lyrics...awesome taste in music!
A fellow Bran New fan. They are hard to come by. Definitely an awesome band (just about my favourite):).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Orange Juice
merethrond if you were to make it into a college... you do know its really expensive cuz your an international student....
I do realise that, but as Ms 12 pointed out, you get a fair amount of time to pay for your debts:).

and merathrond, what sort of uni in america are u looking at? average quality or ivy league? i think unsw has links with boston uni...thats east coast and some uni (either usyd or maybe unsw) has connections with cornell uni, the lowest ranked ivy league uni apparently...
I thought there were only four Ivy League Universities:confused:? Anyway, I don't care how good the University is, just as long as it is based in California (so probably University of California, since they have about 20 campuses):).

the uai is not as important (it IS important, just not AS important) as HSC marks and exam marks. they look at the HSC marks more than the UAI...
That is still not good:lol:. My marks were all in the 70's:(. Maybe I can apply to be accepted at the end of the year, so that they take into account some of my University marks, because I am going quite well so far):).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Ashleet
the living arrangements are up to you, but you are offered oncampus accom or living with a host family, but its a really good stepping stone into unis over there. plus it gives you a chance to get over there have a look around and get used to things before you make some big decisions
Thanks for that Ashleet. I might look into this a bit more then:).

yeah but if merathrond is think of ivy league than that is in excess of AUD$60000 a year! :eek: but thats only for the top ivy leagues though...
:eek:! I definitely won't be attending any of those Universities anyway. I hope University of California is not an Ivy League University:).

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
hey merethrond...just curious as to why you're so desperate to live in the U.S?
The entertainment factor is a big part. Plus, I would like to live somewhere else for a change, and what better place to go to pursue acting:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
there was another girl (from MLC) in the papers who did an IB, got a perfect score and was offered a place at Cambridge :eek: but she hasnt gone yet and is doing physics at UNSW or USYD...
Why did she do the IB if she didn't want to use it? That is pure stupidity (in my opinion):).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
of course she is gonna use it :p

its just that for the time being she wants to stay in Australia and the offer from Cambridge still stands

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
Why did she do the IB if she didn't want to use it? That is pure stupidity (in my opinion):).
ib converts really well with the uai

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
I do realise that, but as Ms 12 pointed out, you get a fair amount of time to pay for your debts:).

but if your international do they still allow you to?
cuz i know that international students dont get hecs...

my friend is going to berkerly i think his paying bout 20k for tuition fees... but its like 6k if your a resident of the state or something....
maybe you should try becoming a resident before you go or something...(note the excess somethings in my sentences)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
of course she is gonna use it :p

its just that for the time being she wants to stay in Australia and the offer from Cambridge still stands
Oh, I see. So she is going to do like half of her physics degree in Australia and then the rest at Cambridge or something similar:).

Originally posted by natstar
why dont u just apply for exchange?
As above, I am going to look into it. However, I really want to live in America, not just visit for six months or so. However, an exchange might open up more avenues, possibly:).

Originally posted by Orange Juice
but if your international do they still allow you to?
cuz i know that international students dont get hecs...

my friend is going to berkerly i think his paying bout 20k for tuition fees... but its like 6k if your a resident of the state or something....
maybe you should try becoming a resident before you go or something...(note the excess somethings in my sentences)
Yeah, I am not sure about that actually. Maybe, I can get a permanent visa (that might get me a "resident of the state" :confused: ), while I try and go through the process of gaining full citizenship:).

cyanide

exchange shouldn't cost that much, depending on the exchange program. at macquarie you just pay your usual student and unit fees as though you were still at mq, and just have to coff up the airplane, insurance, accomodation and living expenses, and even then you get a travel scholarship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)