University Preferences (Medicine Goal) HELP Desperate!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I didn’t sit the UMAT this year but my goal is to get into Medicine. My ATAR was 96.50. I REALLY need advice on whether it would be better to do UNSW Medical Science, USYD Medical Science or USYD Physiotherapy (Flex-Entry), keeping in mind that the goal is Medicine as quickly as possible to minimise fees.
The plan was to apply for an undergrad transfer into Med either at UNSW or UWS after sitting for the UMAT in 2013, would it be easier to actually attend UNSW if looking for a transfer?, or is USYD just as good? I realise that UNSW has the extra ‘top students’ pathway.
Which of the course structures, UNSW or USYD Medical Science (both 3yrs) would best prepare me for GAMSAT if I didn’t get a transfer etc.?
Or would doing something like B Physiotherapy (4yrs) be better so I have a back-up if I don’t get into Medicine (I don’t know how hard GAMSAT is..)?
I need to have my preferences finalised tomorrow so any advice would really be appreciated, I’m stuck!

lvella10

HSC
I think any of your options are fine so as long as you meet the gpa requirements and suffice the umat threshold. UNSW does reserve a few places from its med science program, but bare in mind those are obviously highly competitive. uws also offer six places from their advanced science streams for entry into 2nd year med granted you suffice the thresholds again. Personally physio is best if you can't get into medicine and want a proper job/ career path for yourself.
The medical science programmes obviously help you better prepare for gamsat because you learn the topics tested, but extra study would be needed anyway I assume and as such if you can uphold a high gpa in physio and prepare thoroughly for the gamsat then I'd still do that.
Check out gamsat on acer's website, and also read some of the forums over at mso to better grasp the complexity of the gamsat. I'm planning on sitting it myself in a few years after I finish speech pathology.

HSC
Thanks, yeah I decided against UWS just because it's too far away.
So I can still try to transfer from physio at USYD to Medicine at UNSW in 2013, I have no idea how this works.
Sigh so difficult to choose!

Dylanamali

HSC
UWS's Adv Sci program is the most advantageous if your looking to get into Medicine - undergraduate or postgraduate.

Ivella unfortunately is incorrect in saying that you gain entry into 2nd year medicine.. The Adv Sci program merely enables you to get an interview for medicine.. if you are successful you start from year 1 like any other applicant.
But the benefits are numerous.

At UWS you'll be able to maximise your GPA = greater prospects for graduate medicine
You'll also be able to compete for the top 6 positions (ranked by UMAT) and so the UMAT threshold will be reduced for you.

lvella10

HSC
Ivella unfortunately is incorrect in saying that you gain entry into 2nd year medicine.. The Adv Sci program merely enables you to get an interview for medicine.. if you are successful you start from year 1 like any other applicant.
Yeh sorry I didn't really clarify that. It gives you a chance for entry as dylanamali stated. And apologies it is year 1 haha.
And to answer your question no you can't transfer into unsw under grad program. Atleast I don't think so?

Dylanamali

HSC
Thanks, yeah I decided against UWS just because it's too far away.
So I can still try to transfer from physio at USYD to Medicine at UNSW in 2013, I have no idea how this works.
Sigh so difficult to choose!
You can transfer from any course into Medicine.
You will technically be able to transfer into UNSW Medicine - however, your ATAR is definitely on the lower end. In order to gain an interview for UNSW Medicine, assuming you achieve a HD average (7.0 GPA) in first year uni, your new academic rank would be: 98.2. With an academic rank/ATAR of that you'd still need a UMAT of at least 64 raw = around 95%ile. And that would only provide you with the borderline cut-off marks for an interview.

Dylanamali

HSC
Your best bet for Medicine would be either UWS or UNCLE (Newcastle).

Are you a GWS student?

lvella10

HSC
You can transfer from any course into Medicine.
You will technically be able to transfer into UNSW Medicine - however, your ATAR is definitely on the lower end. In order to gain an interview for UNSW Medicine, assuming you achieve a HD average (7.0 GPA) in first year uni, your new academic rank would be: 98.2. With an academic rank/ATAR of that you'd still need a UMAT of at least 64 raw = around 95%ile. And that would only provide you with the borderline cut-off marks for an interview.
it is however impossible to transfer into usyd medicine though isn't it? because it's a graduate program and only the music/commerce mbbs kids can enter?

Dylanamali

HSC
it is however impossible to transfer into usyd medicine though isn't it? because it's a graduate program and only the music/commerce mbbs kids can enter?
Yeah USYD medicine is only a graduate program - whereby to enter you have to perform well in the GAMSAT, meet the GPA threshold and do well in the interview. The only other way to enter the program is to get a 99.95 ATAR - which I believe is the combined medicine course your referring to.

lvella10

HSC
Your best bet for Medicine would be either UWS or UNCLE (Newcastle).

Are you a GWS student?
I'd agree with uncle. 50/50/50 in umat and a good interview would put you in a good place considering your atar. Doubt he's gws if he's too far away to consider uws. Although it is in campbelltown haha

Dylanamali

HSC
I'd agree with uncle. 50/50/50 in umat and a good interview would put you in a good place considering your atar. Doubt he's gws if he's too far away to consider uws. Although it is in campbelltown haha
Yeah this year the cut off for UNCLE was 61/50/50.
The good thing about UNCLE is that the UMAT and ATAR/GPA is just a threshold, so if your good at interviews you'll have a great shot at getting a place.

There's multiple UWS campuses for Adv Sci - Campbelltown, Parramatta, Hawkesbury.
But yeah, if she was GWS it would be advantageous as the GWS UMAT cut-off this year was around 151.5 whereas the non-GWS cut-off was 160+ ircc.

HSC
Thanks Ivella
So you think it's very unlikely I'd get a transfer hmm. GWS? I live in St George Area, I think that it is :S.
Out of the three options, UNSW Med Sci, USYD Med Sci or Physio which do you think would be better Dylan? Newcastle and UWS are just too far away I'd say. The closest one is Campbelltown and it takes 2 hours + (I live in Beverley Hills, near Hurstville)

Last edited:

lvella10

HSC
There's multiple UWS campuses for Adv Sci - Campbelltown, Parramatta, Hawkesbury.
But yeah, if she was GWS it would be advantageous as the GWS UMAT cut-off this year was around 151.5 whereas the non-GWS cut-off was 160+ ircc.
I know :) I was just referring to the med campus. But you're right in saying adv sci is offered on many campuses. I was so glad the very first time I found out about the gws advantages at uws for admittance, but then I stuffed up and got around 120-130ish haha -.-

lvella10

HSC
If you want to try and internally transfer and aren't considering uws/ uncle then unsw med sci is probably your best bet, because they actually give you a chance at entry into the undergrad program. However in terms of jobs I'd say go with physio unless you wanna do predominately lab work etc as I've been told med sci kids are forced into ( would need proof on this )

HSC
So I could apply for a transfer to UWS from say USYD or UNSW in 2013 with the same advantages?

Dylanamali

HSC
Thanks Ivella
So you think it's very unlikely I'd get a transfer hmm. GWS? I live in St George Area, I think that it is :S.
Out of the three options, UNSW Med Sci, USYD Med Sci or Physio which do you think would be better Dylan? Newcastle and UWS are just too far away I'd say.
I think it's unlikely that you'll get a transfer into UNSW.. but by all means, you could end up smashing the UMAT and receive one.

If you only want Medicine - I would suggest UNSW Med Sci. UNSW at least has a 'lateral entry scheme' - I know it's competitive, but its better than nothing and USYD Med Sci has no scheme. The reason I suggest Med Sci over Physio is because Physio is a 4yr course.. so it will take longer before your eligible to sit the GAMSAT (if needs be) and it will take longer before you can enter postgraduate medicine.

I only mentioned Newcastle as a place to study medicine. Medicine is the most competitive course to enter - and you really have to be willing to travel anywhere (even interstate) if you want to study it. It's quite rare that one has the ability to pick and choose which medical school they will attend. Generally, the best place to study medicine is the place that your being offered.

Dylanamali

HSC
I know :) I was just referring to the med campus. But you're right in saying adv sci is offered on many campuses. I was so glad the very first time I found out about the gws advantages at uws for admittance, but then I stuffed up and got around 120-130ish haha -.-
Yeah. The benefit of the Adv Sci course is that the UMAT cut-off drops even further - because I was an Adv Sci student I managed to receive an interview with a 144. (albeit I was the 6th and final spot).

lvella10

HSC

Dylanamali

HSC
umm I'm pretty sure uws only offer students doing their adv sci courses a chance at entry into their programme with the lower umat threshold etc. However I think you can apply from an outside course if after a year you have a gpa of ~6.1
Check uws website to clarify this http://www.uws.edu.au/medicine/som/applying_to_medicine/mbbs#criteria
Yeah Ivella is correct, you can still apply to UWS as a nonstandard (university student) - you'll still need to meet UMAT thresholds around (151 for GWS, 160+ for non-GWS) and a 6.1 GPA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)