University Prerequisites (1 Viewer)

aus_peter2005

HSC
Terence Tao received BSc (First Class Hons, Pure Maths) from Flinders University at age of 17. So ye you can probably get into uni early.
But he is a super genius you know.
So if you wanna to do that then you gotta prove that you are good to the universities

diamond*dreams*

d[-_-]b . . <3 music
HSC
aus_peter2005 said:
Terence Tao received BSc (First Class Hons, Pure Maths) from Flinders University at age of 17. So ye you can probably get into uni early.
But he is a super genius you know.
So if you wanna to do that then you gotta prove that you are good to the universities
More like wow them!!:p

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Just how good are you at math ? are we talking super genius ?

Dish93

HSC
N/A
grr at chucknthem made me register hehe. I don't want anyone saying I brag or show-off please, I was just told by chuck to post here about what I did.

Well I'm chuck's friend from uni, and I'm in second year this year, and I'm 15. I started school when I was 5, accelerated to year 1 half way through '98, then did a month in year 2, then accelerated to year 4. From there I went on normally, and most of my friends from back at school are now 18-19 :). When I was in high school, I was accelerated in maths, chemistry and biology. In year 10 I finished 2/3 unit maths HSC, and in year 11 I finished 4 unit maths, bio and chem (all band 6, so I was quite happy). When I was in year 10, UNSW sent around a letter to schools with this "Early Entry Admission Program" thing, you can see it here:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/earlyentry.html

It consists of 3 stages:
1. application (just fill in a form and chuck in all your academic records, quite a lot actually)
2. interview
3. SAT test

I applied back when I was in year 10, and I was 12 then, and thinking back, it wasn't a great idea, I'll explain why later. I stuffed up the interview, and they said "come back next year" which was exaclty what I did. If I stayed in year 12 last year, I would only be doing English and Music (extra 2 units). By the time I was applied again, a 12 year old kid and a 13 year old kid seemed to have a big difference, and they told me to do the SAT test. I forgot what I scored for it :( but it was in the 1900's, just under 2000. The test was out of 2400. It was a 4 hour test of pure multiple choice english and maths questions, though 20 minutes is an essay. They were happy with my mark, and I "passed" their admission thing. Through that scheme, you can only do Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts, and of course I chose Science :p. Right now I'm happily doing anatomy and computing :D.

So, why am I happy that they didn't let me in when I was 12? Firstly, I gotta admit I was too young then. Secondly, many courses in uni require you to have basic knowledge on HSC subjects, and since I only did 2/3 unit maths, I would have been really stuffed even if I made it in. I was in year 11 when I got in, and had finished 8 units of HSC stuff, so it wasn't too big a deal, since I didn't want to do many english related subjects in uni anyway hehe

For kurt, I'd suggest that you just finish as you are, or you could try the early entry program for UNSW. Remember that if you do that, you can only do B Sci or B Arts, so if you were thinking of something different, I'd just do it the normal way. Accelerated 1 year in just maths would be too hard on your other subjects, and from what I know, you can't do just purely maths for a degree in uni ;)

EDIT* oh, I just read some posts in page 2, was too lazy to do it at first, i'm that "kid" :D
So yeah, I kinda liked maths in high school cos it was easier than heaps of other subjects, but after doing 2 maths subjects last year, I give up, takes too much brain power :p might be different for you. I eventually want to get into med, either undergrad or postgrad, but I still like computing........

Last edited:

Dish93

HSC
N/A
:S I thought i might fail there... ignore that bit hehe

Oh, and from what I remember when I was at the interview, at the end, I asked how many people have got in this way, they said about 15, but there hasn't been one for about 5 years before me

EDIT* come to think about it, I might not fail there, for UNSW's B Sci (I assume you'd do science > arts if you got in early entry), you need to do a certain number of units outside science or something, lemme check now

EDIT** yup found it, http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2008/3970.html
Read the bit on "Academic Rules - Conditions for the Award of the Degree"

there's stuff like (tbh i think its quite dumb, but meh)
A student must complete at least 36 units and no more than 60 units in Level I courses from at least three Schools.
There's more weird stuff too, look around and you'll see

Last edited:

Evan11

HSC
shona1990 said:
Suggested subjects:
4U math
English
Phys
Chem
TOTAL = 10U. Aside from english, they're all pretty mathsy. You don't need to do history or art to get your hsc, so just enjoy the bludge time you have! :p
Phys and Chem are actually really comprehensive though, they are quite english based. There is a lot of information that you have to be able to show your knowledge of, not just mathematically. They are prolly the most maths based tho

Evan11

HSC
kurt.physics said:
i dont want to just through aside my passion to sit in a class and learn about something that i find boring
Its called school...i would have thought you would have learned that by now. Also, its probably best if you do finish HSC english, if nothing else it might teach you to spell.

Evan11

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Sorry, stopping at a red light is a LAW not a RULE.
But a Law is just a Rule made by the government. Give Jannnny a break he was right in some respect.

decypher

HSC
Has anyone else noticed recently that all the 07ers are really arrogant about uni in that they think they know every thing about it without every attending a lecture?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the info, i can not express how important that was. I will take into account every word. If i where to get the early entry thing, i would do the bachelor of Mathematics (advanced). I do have other interests in other subjects such as physics, but thats it, dont like chemistry, dont really like biology. Its really only physics, and im a good at physics as i am mathematics, its just there are rules! Such that you have to do the Science SC before you accelerate in physics, so, ya know.

Thanks for signing up just for this, really appreciate it!!!

Good luck with your computers and med.

CYA,

Dish93 said:
grr at chucknthem made me register hehe. I don't want anyone saying I brag or show-off please, I was just told by chuck to post here about what I did.

Well I'm chuck's friend from uni, and I'm in second year this year, and I'm 15. I started school when I was 5, accelerated to year 1 half way through '98, then did a month in year 2, then accelerated to year 4. From there I went on normally, and most of my friends from back at school are now 18-19 :). When I was in high school, I was accelerated in maths, chemistry and biology. In year 10 I finished 2/3 unit maths HSC, and in year 11 I finished 4 unit maths, bio and chem (all band 6, so I was quite happy). When I was in year 10, UNSW sent around a letter to schools with this "Early Entry Admission Program" thing, you can see it here:
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/undergrad/sad/earlyentry.html

It consists of 3 stages:
1. application (just fill in a form and chuck in all your academic records, quite a lot actually)
2. interview
3. SAT test

I applied back when I was in year 10, and I was 12 then, and thinking back, it wasn't a great idea, I'll explain why later. I stuffed up the interview, and they said "come back next year" which was exaclty what I did. If I stayed in year 12 last year, I would only be doing English and Music (extra 2 units). By the time I was applied again, a 12 year old kid and a 13 year old kid seemed to have a big difference, and they told me to do the SAT test. I forgot what I scored for it :( but it was in the 1900's, just under 2000. The test was out of 2400. It was a 4 hour test of pure multiple choice english and maths questions, though 20 minutes is an essay. They were happy with my mark, and I "passed" their admission thing. Through that scheme, you can only do Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts, and of course I chose Science :p. Right now I'm happily doing anatomy and computing :D.

So, why am I happy that they didn't let me in when I was 12? Firstly, I gotta admit I was too young then. Secondly, many courses in uni require you to have basic knowledge on HSC subjects, and since I only did 2/3 unit maths, I would have been really stuffed even if I made it in. I was in year 11 when I got in, and had finished 8 units of HSC stuff, so it wasn't too big a deal, since I didn't want to do many english related subjects in uni anyway hehe

For kurt, I'd suggest that you just finish as you are, or you could try the early entry program for UNSW. Remember that if you do that, you can only do B Sci or B Arts, so if you were thinking of something different, I'd just do it the normal way. Accelerated 1 year in just maths would be too hard on your other subjects, and from what I know, you can't do just purely maths for a degree in uni ;)

EDIT* oh, I just read some posts in page 2, was too lazy to do it at first, i'm that "kid" :D
So yeah, I kinda liked maths in high school cos it was easier than heaps of other subjects, but after doing 2 maths subjects last year, I give up, takes too much brain power :p might be different for you. I eventually want to get into med, either undergrad or postgrad, but I still like computing........

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I just thought of something hilarious, i quote myself

if wowing them is what it takes, then mega wowing is what im going to do!
I can just see myself doing the test, that being wowing, then doing a few magic tricks like pulling a rabbit out of a hat and then magically appears $1000 to each of interviewers, and me saying "Ta Dar" then winking.

I know that wouldnt happen, but its funny
:uhhuh:

bubbly89

HSC
Wasn't there some girl who got into Newcastle Med when she was 15 a few years ago?

Also remember that with subjects like Math/Chem/Physics you can usually do accelerated courses at university while still being at school. As well as things like the science olympiads where you learn an entire year of science in a month (y)

I had a few friends do the accelerated Chem course and they said while it made year 12 chem look like a joke, they had fun.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if the University of Sydney has the same kinda thing with the "early entry" because ive just looked at the math courses and compared to UNSW there apear to be more in my interest?

chyeah

HSC
dude. im no brainiac myself. but you really need to do HSC english. just for your own wellbeing.. you can't even spell!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)