University 'Prestige' Rankings (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Prestige rankings?

I'd say:

1. Sydney
2. UNSW
3. Macquarie
4. UWS

the rest are a bit of jumble below

But if you pick a 'prestigious' university over one which gives you what you want, you're not doing it right.
In terms of perception of prestige, I'd put UTS above UWS. UTS/Macquarie duking it out for third.

And I believe USyd/UNSW - there is no distinction.

rayy_bann

HSC
here how it works

law/arts- usyd
engineering/science/commerce-UNSW
med whereever

anything else quit while your a head.
What exactly mean 'quit while your a head' (*you're ahead?) Do you mean to say other courses are not worthwhile or that these courses in other universities are not worthwhile?

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Crap, forgot about UTS... probably above UWS and below Macquarie.
Yes because Macquarie was established after UNSW. UTS after Macquarie and then UWS.

That means that for UWS to be considered better than the lowest a new university needs to be established or it can be compared to country unis like Charles Sturt University.

Its a bit like saying the oldest child in a family is the best child and the youngest the worst

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Given the economic climate it is probably more important to consider what University and degree will help you get a job. You will need to develop skills in and knowledge of the importance of Networking if you don't have contacts because of who your parents are. It will be a matter of "who you know not what you know as well". A high GPA will also help distinguish you from other applicants.

With the coming white collar recession Australia faces will university (college) graduates meet a similar fate to those one in three in New York.
Australia at risk of white-collar recession
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-14/finance-sector-woes-raise-recession-fears/3772712/?site=sydney
Macquarie sees “white collar recession”
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2011/11/macquarie-sees-white-collar-recession/
Bank on white collar crisis
http://www.smh.com.au/business/bank-on-whitecollar-crisis-20120113-1pzhx.html

In New York the impact is being felt with nearly 1 in 3 university graduates in New York City are struggling to afford food — and equal numbers are concerned they will need food assistance over the coming year.

http://www.foodbanknyc.org/blog/index.cfm/2012/1/11/Food-Bank-Research-Finds-a-Startling-New-Trend

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Yes Gwenwiver i agree with you that networking is important. Which is why im totally hopeless in terms of my parents' contacts as both of them are engineers/scientists and are in a totally different field to what I want to pursue.

I hope I can get a combined law degree, in which I think will offer me a wide range of job opportunities. However, I do believe that you should choose a course if it interests you. The question of prestige is only secondary if not a question at all. While job opportunities are a major factor, at the end of the day, I believe one should do a course that they enjoy.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
I love how everybody puts UWS last.

But then again, this is disregarding the random ones like Notre Dame, ACU etc.
As suggested before its a bit like saying the oldest child in the family is best at every thing and the youngest child the worst at everything.

Reminiscent of the oldest child in the family bullying the youngest. Many older children love to bully don't they?

It makes them feel better about themselves.

funkygirl59

HSC
Hello Guys!

First, I'm making this post out of curiousity. So it's not motivated to shame some universities, whilst putting others up.

I'm just wanting to know what you guys think in relation to what the most 'prestigious' universities in Sydney are. I've always been to a so called 'poor'/'socio economically disadvantaged' school in the western suburbs in my life. Being able to go to university has sparked my interest in choosing a more prestigious university to at least feel the difference. Yes some of you may say it's irrelevant to getting a good education or job. However, I just want to see how it feels :)

I also realise that 'prestige' can be subjective. But when I speak of prestige in relation to universtities there must be some that stand out for several reasons. The aspects I'm basically looking for are:
1. history of university (may include establishment and years running)
2. famous lecturers/teachers/alumni
3. the state of the school grounds (may be in terms of size and quality)
4. large number of graduates getting jobs
5. Higher ATAR cutoffs for courses etc

If there 'may' even be formal rankings on some sites that would help as well!

Thanks guys!
I know lots of people like to be anti-USYD (because we're all sooo alternative these days!) but it's definitely Sydney University that would win this debate.
1. It's the oldest university in Australia, and historically has always been the top university in the country. Of course ANU is beating it now officially (as is Melbourne I think) but all those rankings are based on research and student staff ratios etc which are all valid but not what we're thinking about really when we talk about prestige. Historically, it is the most prestigious.
2. Lots of famous people lecture at sydney: most have phD's from Oxford etc. and the number of Rhodes Scholars, Prime Ministers, High Court judges etc that have come out of Sydney are unrivalled
3. Sandstone. Hello. It's like you made these questions for usyd.
4. This is varied but there is a big prestige factor when you say you're from usyd at a job interview. My cousin is a partner in a top law firm in Australia and says they only hire USYD or UNSW people. Of course that's not to say that other uni graduates don't get jobs so don't get all shitty
5. Even though it's about demand, USYD definitely has the highest atar cut offs for most subjects. Everyone wants to go there, thus it is considered the most prestigious. Not the best: tat's subjective, but prestigious. Duh.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
2. Lots of famous people lecture at sydney: most have phD's from Oxford etc. and the number of Rhodes Scholars, Prime Ministers, High Court judges etc that have come out of Sydney are unrivalled
Because it's the oldest university. It's not because Sydney is the best, but because for most of them - Sydney was the only option for university. UNSW cropped up only in the 1950s or something.

How about the wooden lecture theatres unchanged from when they were built in 1632...?

5. Even though it's about demand, USYD definitely has the highest atar cut offs for most subjects. Everyone wants to go there, thus it is considered the most prestigious. Not the best: tat's subjective, but prestigious. Duh.
Highest ATAR cut offs mean high demand, which is not directly linked to prestige. It might be because their courses are good, it's very close to everyone's homes or because of prestige.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Because it's the oldest university. It's not because Sydney is the best, but because for most of them - Sydney was the only option for university. UNSW cropped up only in the 1950s or something.

How about the wooden lecture theatres unchanged from when they were built in 1632...?

Highest ATAR cut offs mean high demand, which is not directly linked to prestige. It might be because their courses are good, it's very close to everyone's homes or because of prestige.
Once again, valid arguments but doesn't make USYD any less prestigious.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I know lots of people like to be anti-USYD (because we're all sooo alternative these days!) but it's definitely Sydney University that would win this debate.
1. It's the oldest university in Australia, and historically has always been the top university in the country. Of course ANU is beating it now officially (as is Melbourne I think) but all those rankings are based on research and student staff ratios etc which are all valid but not what we're thinking about really when we talk about prestige. Historically, it is the most prestigious.
4. This is varied but there is a big prestige factor when you say you're from usyd at a job interview. My cousin is a partner in a top law firm in Australia and says they only hire USYD or UNSW people. Of course that's not to say that other uni graduates don't get jobs so don't get all shitty
HSC 2011

She doesn't even go here

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
HSC 2011

She doesn't even go here
which doesn't make her argument any less valid since she supplied factual evidences (when they are valid, I mean).

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
yes it does make it less valid. Duh.
Given that what she said is/are true, why would they be less valid?
e.g. "Lots of famous people lecture at sydney: most have phD's from Oxford etc. and the number of Rhodes Scholars, Prime Ministers, High Court judges etc that have come out of Sydney are unrivalled"
"My cousin is a partner in a top law firm in Australia and says they only hire USYD or UNSW people."

I don't think I know these things better by just going to uni - you need to do some research to find them.

funkygirl59

HSC
My sister is studying there now, lives at women's college, i go in and see her alot.
All my grandparents and my parents went there. My grandpa was a senior researcher at sydney. I've been to open days, doing commerce law there this year.
Rather than 'she doesn't even go here', some may call it bias.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
prestige == marketing

i seriously hope you guys already knew this

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My sister is studying there now, lives at women's college, i go in and see her alot.
All my grandparents and my parents went there. My grandpa was a senior researcher at sydney. I've been to open days, doing commerce law there this year.
Rather than 'she doesn't even go here', some may call it bias.
it's a mean girls joke

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)