University 'Prestige' Rankings (1 Viewer)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Unless you have attended every university within the Sydney region no one can really say which uni is the most 'prestigious' or otherwise you're just speaking for yourself from a subjective viewpoint.

However ANU, the Australian National University in Canberra is considered the most globally recognised in terms of its intensive research based degrees and high quality of professors i.e. there are apparently 6 alumni and staff that are Nobel laureates which could account to your so called 'prestige' factor.

Personally just go to whatever uni cause in the end the one what works the hardest and has lady luck on their side ends up making the dollars.
ANU FTW :biggrin:
on the point of Nobel laureates, one of the winners of the nobel prize in physics in 2011 is a current ANU professor.

kcqn93

HSC
I know lots of people like to be anti-USYD (because we're all sooo alternative these days!) but it's definitely Sydney University that would win this debate.
1. It's the oldest university in Australia, and historically has always been the top university in the country. Of course ANU is beating it now officially (as is Melbourne I think) but all those rankings are based on research and student staff ratios etc which are all valid but not what we're thinking about really when we talk about prestige. Historically, it is the most prestigious.
2. Lots of famous people lecture at sydney: most have phD's from Oxford etc. and the number of Rhodes Scholars, Prime Ministers, High Court judges etc that have come out of Sydney are unrivalled
3. Sandstone. Hello. It's like you made these questions for usyd.
4. This is varied but there is a big prestige factor when you say you're from usyd at a job interview. My cousin is a partner in a top law firm in Australia and says they only hire USYD or UNSW people. Of course that's not to say that other uni graduates don't get jobs so don't get all shitty
5. Even though it's about demand, USYD definitely has the highest atar cut offs for most subjects. Everyone wants to go there, thus it is considered the most prestigious. Not the best: tat's subjective, but prestigious. Duh.
Sandstone castle, yes. But have you been inside it? It's old and smells bad.

A lot of the lecture theatres are also in bad shape. Carslaw and Chemistry lecture theatres are quite painful to sit in. But you're doing law, so you'll get to comfortably enjoy yourself in brand new facilities.

X

xeuyrawp

prestige == marketing

i seriously hope you guys already knew this
Not really; Oxford does very little marketing (its annual marketing budget is 1/100th the size of that of Macquarie).

I agree with your sentiments, though. Prestige is both a product and indicator of a wide range of things, many of which are irrelevant (eg age).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sandstone castle, yes. But have you been inside it? It's old and smells bad.

A lot of the lecture theatres are also in bad shape. Carslaw and Chemistry lecture theatres are quite painful to sit in. But you're doing law, so you'll get to comfortably enjoy yourself in brand new facilities.
Silver lining: Character-building and appreciation of chairs.

funkygirl59

HSC
it's a mean girls joke
I know (i can recite that movie word for word) but the implication was there. Ah well we all get what we're all saying here. Point is that although lots of the points I made are trivial, they do amount to prestige which - whether warranted or not - USYD has.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Not really; Oxford does very little marketing (its annual marketing budget is 1/100th the size of that of Macquarie).

I agree with your sentiments, though. Prestige is both a product and indicator of a wide range of things, many of which are irrelevant (eg age).
I should have qualified that with "in Australia"

CameronKordy

Remenission
HSC
Uni Grad
Although there are prestegious rankings, you shouldn't base your choice over this.
For example, UTS Engineering Vs. USYD Engineering.

While USYD is the more prestigious one, UTS offers a two semester work placement (1 semester in 2nd year and 1 semester in 4th year). When you go for a job interview, the employer will take the one who has work experience over the one who doesn't. There is no 'prestigious' level when it comes down to what's what.

Just do some reasearch in what course you want to do and go to which ever offers a better course structure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)