University questions (actuarial studies/maths/science) (1 Viewer)

keko

HSC
Im a current HSC student and want to do Actuarial Studies/Maths at uni. However I'd like to delve deeper into the world of science and learn more about it. I currently study 4U math and Physics, and am excelling in both subjects at my school. I deeply regret not taking Chemistry, and I am just wondering if there is any chance of studying chemistry (if possible also physics) whilst studying actuarial studies and maths? I know some of you may think it a waste of a time, it is just for my own self-interests and wondering if it is possible.
To sum it all up, is there a possible degree/double degree that would allow me to study actuarial science, and also math, physics and chemistry? (math predominantly, not sure how the two sciences will fit)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Quadruple major? Yeah you wish m8

You could probably do an Actuarial/Maths degree and do like 2 subjects of physics and chemistry using free electives, but that's pretty much it unless you want to spend more time at uni and extend your degree - so maybe you can do four or five subjects of physics/chemistry if you add an extra year on

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Four majors is possible at USyd with some combined degrees. The only catch is that USyd does not offer actuarial studies :p.

keko

HSC
I did not mean four majors HAHA! Just two majors, and somehow study the sciences on the side. So shadow, does that mean at uni for the minimum amount of years needed for the dual degree, you can take up to 4 electives each year/sem?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
What jobs can you get with a maths degree (pure maths degree)?

keko

HSC
What's the difference between B of Science (Adv Math) and B of Science? Would there be a difference in the degrees if you were just to major in Math in the B of Science (excluding the Honours year in Adv Math degree)?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did not mean four majors HAHA! Just two majors, and somehow study the sciences on the side. So shadow, does that mean at uni for the minimum amount of years needed for the dual degree, you can take up to 4 electives each year/sem?
Yeah then the Actuarial/Maths degree

And that degree I think is five years, so if you take an extra year, you can do an additional 8 subjects that year which you can do whatever in

What jobs can you get with a maths degree (pure maths degree)?
tons of stuff

Consultants, data scientist, risk management, trader, teacher, etc.

What's the difference between B of Science (Adv Math) and B of Science? Would there be a difference in the degrees if you were just to major in Math in the B of Science (excluding the Honours year in Adv Math degree)?
Advanced Maths is automatic Honours and you do some subjects which makes you more social and makes you make friends

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah then the Actuarial/Maths degree

And that degree I think is five years, so if you take an extra year, you can do an additional 8 subjects that year which you can do whatever in

tons of stuff

Consultants, data scientist, risk management, trader, teacher, etc.

Advanced Maths is automatic Honours and you do some subjects which makes you more social and makes you make friends
lmao doing 4 degrees in 1 year is insane

Those jobs seem decent tbh but am looking more to a job which involves maths (4U), physics and chemistry (not engineering as engineering is overated)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can do applied mathematics that looks at modelling of physical and chemistry-related phenomena

keko

HSC
That actually sounds pretty interesting, thank you heaps!

friedzilla

HSC
Thanks for posting my question keko! Following up on this, is it better to do a math degree at USYD or UNSW OR is it just personal preference?
(i.e. travel convenience, costs, time, efficiency e.t.c.)

Silly Sausage

HSC
Thanks for posting my question keko! Following up on this, is it better to do a math degree at USYD or UNSW OR is it just personal preference?
(i.e. travel convenience, costs, time, efficiency e.t.c.)
Personal preference, although from what I've seen USYD has a fantastic pure mathematics department. UNSW also seem to offer a wide variety of applied mathematics specializations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)