Unpreventable Restart (XP) (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
This is really werid.. Before I fixed this, Windows restart after every 1 minute I have logged on, and a message box pops up saying:

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\ SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 'Count down starting from 1 minute

Windows must now be restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) terminated unexpectedly
I could start it in save mode when this happened and tried doing things such as disabling all services, recovering my registry to an earlier time.. but didn't work. Until this morning I talked to my friend about it who suggested me to disable SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI altogether ---> which worked. Now I have SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI processed on start up again and have all the services I need enabled. Does anyone happen to know what exactly happened? Thanks in advance :)

p.s. it was all caused by a power loss

Last edited:

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
This is really werid.. Before I fixed this, Windows restart after every 1 minute I have logged on, and a message box pops up saying:

I could start it in save mode when this happened and tried doing things such as disabling all services, recovering my registry to an earlier time.. but didn't work. Until this morning I talked to my friend about it who suggested me to disable SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI altogether ---> which worked. Now I have SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI processed on start up again and have all the services I need enabled. Does anyone happen to know what exactly happened? Thanks in advance :)

p.s. it was all caused by a power loss
i remeber this happened to me a few time but only because i ended svchost from the task manager because it was annoyingly eating up all my memory...... then it gave me dat warning and restarted...

Winston

HSC
Congragulations you're infected with the Blaster Worm, that's the most common issue to having the RPC pop-up automatically.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Nguyen
I suggest you read this.

http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=2046
alright guide... but if you don't want to type the run command etc... i'm not sure if halting the shutdown will gurantee it not re-executing the shutdown process via RPC, the best method, if you're an XP user, is to enabled windows Firewall contemporarily on all Connections in Network Connections, and then download the Microsoft Blaster Worm Removal Tool.

fatmuscle

HSC
or download it from somehwere else, use a floppy to put it into ur comp.
umight run out of time finding it b4 u restart!

Nguyen

Originally posted by Winston
alright guide... but if you don't want to type the run command etc... i'm not sure if halting the shutdown will gurantee it not re-executing the shutdown process via RPC, the best method, if you're an XP user, is to enabled windows Firewall contemporarily on all Connections in Network Connections, and then download the Microsoft Blaster Worm Removal Tool.
But then again typing the Shutdown -a command is buying you time to download the Blaster Worm removal tool and Microsoft patch before you run out of time which is explained in the guide. Especially useful if you have dial up.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Nguyen
But then again typing the Shutdown -a command is buying you time to download the Blaster Worm removal tool and Microsoft patch before you run out of time which is explained in the guide. Especially useful if you have dial up.

That will buy you time as you have said, but the firewall puts a total halt in the calling of the RPC. Which means you can even not patch yourself up and not have the RPC come up again... but you'll just have to leave the firewall turned on...

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
its the blaster worm alraight, i had the same prob!!
but i had other probs as well....so i had to re-install windows again :(
lost SOME stuff......stupid worm, its not a virus yeah?
wats the difference?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by lillaila
its the blaster worm alraight, i had the same prob!!
but i had other probs as well....so i had to re-install windows again :(
lost SOME stuff......stupid worm, its not a virus yeah?
wats the difference?
Most of the times worm doesn't go doing disastrous damages, it's more than likely annoying etc... and it just causes your PC to function rather differently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)