• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

unsociable hrs? (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
6am certainly is. I used to start work at 5 or 6am on weekends, which meant I couldn't stay up late or do anything remotely interesting on friday and saturday nights. It sucked incredibly bad.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It partly depends on whether these are start end times, both or what.

I worked a 5am start monday to friday for seven months. If you can avoid it don't do the early start. As mentioned it screws over going out. To add to that it means you have to be in bed early every night and just want to sleep through the weekends.

If I had a choice of 6am or 8pm starts I'd take 8pm every time - and I have. I now work the closing shifts at work. The extra plus is that as I knock off at 10:30pm I can go out afterwards and its all good. Furthermore I can do nine hours on friday, go out get home at 4am, sleep till midday, go to work again and do another nine hours, go out again, get home at 4am again, sleep till midday on Sunday go to work for five hours and have a quite sunday night in front of the tv.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah when I used to start work at 5.30am it sucked.... a lot.

I much prefered working from 10pm to 7am.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I've had jobs where I used to work 5pm-9am 7 days a week through every day of the Christmas holidays. It was very sociable at work because everyone else was doing the same.

While we are on hours, spare a thought for the self employed, some who put in 24 hours a day and don't get paid for a lot of it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are been adequately compensated- then I think they are acceptable hours. There's a reason why ppl can work at Mac Bank from day to night- they get paid well.

... but it's not like you've been surprised with these hrs right? They told you beforehand.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
That's true LeftrightOut... sometimes my parents have had to work all night but because we haven't been busy they have to pay the staff, and then there is no money to pay themselves really. Being on a hourly rate means you get paid no matter how quiet it is, it's different for the owner.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
at this time of year my dad works ~2am - 2pm and comes home and works as well, 5-7 days a week.

but in the not busy season he wakes up around 5 and is finished by 1pm and barely goes in on weekends so meh.

Collin

HSC
N/A
6am is unsociable, but I would love it if my boss started rostering me that early (assuming we opened that early, which we don't). This will force me to get into an actual GOOD sleeping pattern, instead of my current lazy one.. i.e 2am - 10am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)