UNSW and Other Sydney Unis (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devrandom

HSC
thanks all --

Then one last question .. anyone have recommendations for which colleges to try to get accomodations at?

grimreaper

HSC
devrandom said:
thanks all --

Then one last question .. anyone have recommendations for which colleges to try to get accomodations at?
yeah everything to be said about the colleges has been said in other threads, but if youre not an alcohol kind of person, I'd try to avoid any of the kensington colleges, and vice versa. Whether you choose a kenso or an independent one tho, youll still have a lot of fun

devrandom

HSC
I have heard that before, and I know UTS would be the better choice for serious IT studying, but, to be honest .. I'm travelling abroad for the cultural and social experience more so than the technology education... I've been working for the last 5 years (age 17-22) at a start-up that myself and some other guys founded back in good ol' New Hampshire... so most of my real education / career potential has been earned through practical experience. Now I'm hoping to get out and do something fun for a bit of a change having missed out on that thus far. Not to say I don't care about my academics, but hey for this semester I'd rather spend more time chasing wallabys or something than studying synchronous I/O multiplexing.

All the same-- thanks, and cool to hear about the uni ... some day if I get a chance to live in AU on a more permanent basis that'd make a great choice for taking graduate classes or just extra courses for their own sake. I hope to continue taking classes for a while after I do graduate.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
devrandom said:
I have heard that before, and I know UTS would be the better choice for serious IT studying, but, to be honest .. I'm travelling abroad for the cultural and social experience more so than the technology education... I've been working for the last 5 years (age 17-22) at a start-up that myself and some other guys founded back in good ol' New Hampshire... so most of my real education / career potential has been earned through practical experience. Now I'm hoping to get out and do something fun for a bit of a change having missed out on that thus far. Not to say I don't care about my academics, but hey for this semester I'd rather spend more time chasing wallabys or something than studying synchronous I/O multiplexing.

All the same-- thanks, and cool to hear about the uni ... some day if I get a chance to live in AU on a more permanent basis that'd make a great choice for taking graduate classes or just extra courses for their own sake. I hope to continue taking classes for a while after I do graduate.
yea it's so fun swimming with wallabys at the local beaches :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
You do know that UTS is the best university for information technology... They are the leaders in australia for IT, and consistantly produce the most sought-after it-professionals in Australia. And if you get to study in the it building ten at uts, you wont want to go to unsw or usyd.

Im not influenced like the others here, ive been to all the open days, visited every area of all the unis, UTS is where you go if you want IT. UNSW has CSE, which is a good computing school, but they dont even compare to UTS.
lol totally unbiased and very informed I see.

What you just said so authoritatively (having been to all the open days you must of course know) is highly debatable.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
devrandom said:

If you're looking for a cultural experience, then USYD would be better for you, since its in the heart of the city.

Alternatively, you could try any of the regional universities for a real taste of life out there :)

grimreaper

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
You do know that UTS is the best university for information technology... They are the leaders in australia for IT, and consistantly produce the most sought-after it-professionals in Australia. And if you get to study in the it building ten at uts, you wont want to go to unsw or usyd.

Im not influenced like the others here, ive been to all the open days, visited every area of all the unis, UTS is where you go if you want IT. UNSW has CSE, which is a good computing school, but they dont even compare to UTS.
hahaha right sure whatever you say.... anyway even if that was true you should have noticed earlier in the thread its not about comparing computing degrees

asdf

HSC
playboy2njoy said:

But then again, computer engineering != IT.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
But it seems ppl will have fun at uni despite which one they choose. I still dont know but I am now leaning towards UNSW for the actual uni itself rather than Usyd but its like 51:49

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Everyone keeps on talking about proximity to CBD and eastern suburbs beaches.

Seriously, my international friend, if it's beaches you are after then come up here to Manly and the Northern Beaches - we whip the Eastern Suburbs arses royaly, for two reasons:

(1) we have more beaches, with greater variety of beach type (e.g. surf, swim etc)

(2) the tourists we attract up here are sourced from a greater diveristy of backgrounds - i.e. not just the lobster-red sunburnt Cockney English lassies and slightly odd sock-and-sandle Germans, but heaps of funk Japanese surfer dudes, Spanish, Italians, Russians etc etc

I mean seriously, crowded Bondi

or peaceful, Narrabeen

Then part two - the CBD thing. Yeah UNSW may be the same traveling time from the CBD as USyd - on an express bus at 3am in the morning! lol. But this misses the more important point - USyd is not only down the road from the CBD, but it is also nestled between the suburbs of ever-so-slightly-gay Chippendale-Darlinghurst, grungy/Marxist/retro-gypsy Newtown and ancient/bookish/trendy/leafy/cafe latte Glebe. These, I think are USyd's greatest draw cards.

Plus, USyd is close to Manly! :)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Well, if its not about the facilities but the culture, UNSW or SYD all the way. UNSW has lots of hot females too.
haha mad!

I will end up going to either USyd or UNSW but depends on the little things really like where are my firends going, what is it like there (culture), those types of things.

nearly done....

HSC
hey, im going to sydney uni next year, and as a part-american whose spent lots of time there my opinion is that sydney gives much more of the college feel you're probably after - more of a place to go for the whole experience especially if you live on campus, whereas at UNSW there is more of a go to classes everyday go home at night and there is less of the college identity if you live on campus. that said, you could probably say that sydney is pretentious and overrated, and filled with crusty old lecturers. anything said about either of the two is bound to stir up heaps of rivalry and controversy, this post included!

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Most of USyd's buildings were built after 1960 ... the old sandstone image is only one face of the university. Alas, it is the recognisable face and therefore tends to be one most associated with the university ... and so too are all the simplistic, stereotyped conclusions that are drawn from having some classes in neo-gothic buildings.

For the record the average age of my lecturers are about: 30 (4hrs/week), 35 (3hrs/week) and 58 (2 hrs/week). Over the course of my degree, the average age of my lecturers has been about 35 and none have taught or studied only at USyd.

Shawny

unsW DOESNT have hot females

i dunno bout usyd

unless perhaps if ur white and u do Barts, theres some decent film/dance school chicks around

but if ur looking at commerce then look away

and be prepared for lotta stairs if ur a com/law/arts student

grimreaper

HSC
Shawny said:
unsW DOESNT have hot females

i dunno bout usyd

unless perhaps if ur white and u do Barts, theres some decent film/dance school chicks around

but if ur looking at commerce then look away

and be prepared for lotta stairs if ur a com/law/arts student
HAHAHAHAHA you obviously have no game or have some incredibly bad vision. Whatever the hell you say dumbshit. Please dont listen to these tools playing down unsw if youre considering coming here. If youre simply considering uni's for their girls, unsw is no different from any other. But yeah the stairs suck... it is good living right beside them however :)

Shawny

to grim:
1- why would i play down my own uni for?

2- im entitled to my opinion ur entitled to urs, i was hoping uni students are a lot more mature than what you've just shown

3- purpose of my post was never to flame or start a flame war

4- insulting me is pointless on the net, if u still think being an E-warrior proves how strong you are or gives u an ego boast, i suggest you seek professional help. Just in case you didn't know, your not the only one who knows how to swear and abuse people online, but if we all did such a thing on BOS, then bos wouldn't be a friendly forum for interaction nor would tolerance mean a thing.

if you wish to respond, i'm hoping you do it on a mature and respectful manner, otherwise enjoy your day

E3k0

HSC
N/A
LoL @grimreaper

how would u know anyway?

u sound like u're in yr 7 or 8

take Shawny's word as gospel wen u eventually get to uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)