UNSW B Aviation (flying) (1 Viewer)

Onners

HSC
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone out there is starting the flying stream of UNSW's aviation course semester 1 this year (2014)? Or if you are part way through the course, would be good to know some people from it. I'm starting this semester.
Cheers everyone!

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
Considered it but decided to go with Engineering, going to apply to the RAAF or the Virgin Australia Cadetship once it opens again instead. Happy to talk about anything aviation/flying related whenever though. :p Good luck with your course.

Last edited:

Onners

HSC
going to apply to the RAAF or the Virgin Australia Cadetship
If you haven't already, definitely look into the Cathay pacific cadet program. Have you done much flying?

avhead

HSC
I would have loved to have done the CX Cadetship (I actually know a LOT of pilots at CX strangely, more so than any Australian airline) but it's closed to foreign nationals, you need a HKID. Believe me, if they opened it up I'd be the very first person in line.

And not powered flying, I've done about ~15 hours of gliding though I think. Gonna get my Class 1 Medical done soon though, need to figure out where the DAMEs are lol.

Last edited:

Onners

HSC
Yeah it is a bit of a closed kind of thing. Would be great to go through that way. Having said that though, doing it privately through the flying school that is in Adelaide does end up cheaper anyway, if you went down that path.
Thats pretty cool, I've never done any gliding apart from practising some emergency landing situations whilst flying a powered aircraft. I have about 10-12 hours solo in command and about 15 or 16 with an instructor. Its such a fun thing to do!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Considered it but decided to go with Engineering, going to apply to the RAAF or the Virgin Australia Cadetship once it opens again instead. Happy to talk about anything aviation/flying related whenever though. :p Good luck with your course.
Have you applied for the Cadetship yet, also if you are doing the Engineering degree and you got accepted into Virgin Australia's cadetship, would you have to drop out the degree or what.

I am also very eager to become a comerical airline pilot as well...

avhead

HSC
Have you applied for the Cadetship yet, also if you are doing the Engineering degree and you got accepted into Virgin Australia's cadetship, would you have to drop out the degree or what.

I am also very eager to become a comerical airline pilot as well...
I will when the Cadetship is open, (or the RAAF) and yes, I probably will drop out of my degree and perhaps finish it later on a part time basis, who knows. If I enjoy my course enough I might not even pursue becoming a pilot.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you tried TAFE, they offer PPL theory, the you could do your flying somewhere else the obtain your CPL ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)