• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

unsw bcom reviews (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm talking about more than just the penultimate internship opportunities that the big people offer (like KPMG and JPMorgan). I'm talking more about internships like those at smaller companies who may not advertise internship opportunities but are still willing to take students in if they get contacted.
+1

Yep. One of my friends who did a placement at Deutsche was telling me, how the majority of internship positions are 'hidden' and not advertised. Need the connections ~

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If I could go back I'd do a science(advanced mathematics) degree over a commerce degree anyday.
I assume you want to pursue a financial-related career? Because rn I can't see any other direction for a maths degree to be used within the business field. Apart from that and maybe, mgmt consulting. But with that being said, having a business mind-set does help.

asi9

HSC
Haha as someone who personally knows Gary for a good part of a decade (same high school alumni), I can say that he would've been equally successful in whatever he chose to pursue (fyi, I believe he turned down Finance co-op). Dude's one of the smartest workers I know. But your point about doing maths over commerce just because commerce is oversaturated or whatever is moot. Sen Lin is another freak of nature outlier and using him as an example doesn't serve any purpose because he, again, would've been successful if he had done commerce as well. In the end, if OP's endgame for uni is getting a top paying job (IB/MBB/etc.) then doing a commerce or a mathematics degree wouldn't matter because the bigger picture (and the only thing that matters tbh) is your experience and able to execute in interviews.

Good luck op

asi9

HSC
Also fyi, headcount across all BBIB's S&T teams are slowly getting reduced... similar to their ER teams (some BB don't even have intern intakes and just recruit from their cadets i.e. UBS)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)