UNSW Comm Transfer (1 Viewer)

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

I am a current 3rd year student at Macquarie doing Comm/Law. I was hoping to make it into IB, I talked to a couple of guys in the industry and some firms are really stern on letting only USYD/UNSW Comm or Double Comm graduates in. I would like to best increase my chance on getting into IB, and I feel like transferring to USYD/UNSW would be beneficial to do that. I think UNSW would be a better option as a lot of the units do line with the Macquarie Comm/Law handbook. But I would like to factor in my time as some units do not transfer, so I would have to do them again. Ideally, I do not want to spend more than 2 terms finishing off a Single Comm degree at UNSW but I am unsure. As if that is not the case, I think it would be better off to stay at Macquarie.

Can someone please explain the transfer process, which units will transfer and a different opinion to whether this is actually viable to do?

Thanks

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
What firms are these?

All I can help you with ... you'll find out what units will transfer after you get accepted into the course (which can be done on uac). Since you're also transferring from a non-Go8 university to a Go8 university (whether that be USYD or UNSW), they may be more strict as to what units they accept etc

idkkdi

HSC
What firms are these?

All I can help you with ... you'll find out what units will transfer after you get accepted into the course (which can be done on uac). Since you're also transferring from a non-Go8 university to a Go8 university (whether that be USYD or UNSW), they may be more strict as to what units they accept etc
quite a lot of firms. making it from Macquarie into ib is a fight against the odds.
Hey guys,

I am a current 3rd year student at Macquarie doing Comm/Law. I was hoping to make it into IB, I talked to a couple of guys in the industry and some firms are really stern on letting only USYD/UNSW Comm or Double Comm graduates in. I would like to best increase my chance on getting into IB, and I feel like transferring to USYD/UNSW would be beneficial to do that. I think UNSW would be a better option as a lot of the units do line with the Macquarie Comm/Law handbook. But I would like to factor in my time as some units do not transfer, so I would have to do them again. Ideally, I do not want to spend more than 2 terms finishing off a Single Comm degree at UNSW but I am unsure. As if that is not the case, I think it would be better off to stay at Macquarie.

Can someone please explain the transfer process, which units will transfer and a different opinion to whether this is actually viable to do?

Thanks
hm why not comm/law double?

i don't feel like single comm is looked upon too favourably either. u could probably call up unsw and ask for 'precedents' of which units transferred across.

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
quite a lot of firms. making it from Macquarie into ib is a fight against the odds.

i don't feel like single comm is looked upon too favourably either. u could probably call up unsw and ask for 'precedents' of which units transferred across.
LAT unfortunately, this is done in late September. I will have to transfer next year and if some of the units do not transfer through, to stay in University for 6-7 years is a stretch. I thought of maybe Single Comm + a summer program at a boutique or M&A firm then start trying to apply for Grad IB jobs in early 2024. I do get your point, but I feel that the brand name of UNSW may have preferential treatment in applying to such grad roles and that means I will not be behind (i.e. finishing a 3 year degree in 3 years).

virijyluk

HSC
Hey guys,

Thanks
Yeah, getting into a BB IB as a Macq Uni grad is nearly impossible. I've only ever seen one or two UTS grads do it over the past few years.

If you end up doing single B. Com at UNSW or USyd, you would need to achieve a WAM of at least 85 to be competitive. When you apply for IB as a single B. Com, you will be competing against thousands of other single B. Com students. Whereas, if you double with law, you will be competing against a smaller amount of people.

Your best bet would be:
  • Leave Macquarie
  • Spend another 1-1.5 years at UNSW in Comm
  • Apply for an EB or BB Winter
  • Apply for Tier 1A/1B BB Summer if your WAM is competitive and your extracurriculars are solid
  • Grad at Summer
Otherwise, if you stay at Macquarie, you would need to:

• Guarantee a grad position at a smaller boutique firm (potentially EB but very unlikely)
  • Transfer to EB or BB as a 2nd/3rd year analyst
  • Progress thereon

virijyluk

HSC

Single comm is only looked upon favourably if (1) it is Comm (Co-op) or (2) you have a 85+ WAM, finance major, solid extra-curriculars and good experience already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)