unsw commerce --> unsw law or too risky?? (1 Viewer)

suj21

HSC
I can either do bcom in unsw and put my life on on getting an internal transfer into com/law, or I can do com/law from Macq.

I'm worried that even if i do really well and intern etc, I'll still find it really hard to get jobs because i went to macq. On the other hand, obviously transfer into law at unsw is super competitive.

How likely is it that i'll be able to transfer? Will I be better off just going to macq? How is macq seen in the industry?

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well if you're not smart enough to transfer then take the hint

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Go to Macq. That way you're in law. Transfer to UNSW from there if you get a competitive mark (if that is what you still want).

Essay Questions

HSC
I can either do bcom in unsw and put my life on on getting an internal transfer into com/law, or I can do com/law from Macq.

I'm worried that even if i do really well and intern etc, I'll still find it really hard to get jobs because i went to macq. On the other hand, obviously transfer into law at unsw is super competitive.

How likely is it that i'll be able to transfer? Will I be better off just going to macq? How is macq seen in the industry?

Thanks
My friend was in this exact position last year and chose UNSW comm, and now he has successfully transferred to law. As someone who also transferred this year, let me assure you this is not an extremely tough task. I barely scraped into unsw comm last year (atar of 92), so I put in a lot of work into the first few weeks of all my subjects and this is what ended up saving my year. For subjects like fins1612 and acct1a, the first few weeks of content are really important because it will most likely be all new to you, and they build the foundation for the rest of the subject (and future subjects). If you've already done HSC and Prelim Economics, it makes subjects like micro1 and macro1 a lot easier because there is a lot of overlap.

Nonetheless, there is definitely an element of risk involved in choosing this pathway to law. Doing poorly in one or two subjects can potentially ruin your chances of transferring, but luckily this is not very likely for most 1st year comm subjects because they usually have about 50% internal marks so as long as you do very well in them, you probably won't bomb the subject.

Hope this somewhat helps in you making your decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)