UNSW considering new academic calendar (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
Option 3 looks crazy interesting to me. 3 terms a year would dramatically decrease degree completion times. But then they said the full time load requirement would increase, and I think that means they would also increase the amount of credits needed for degree completion.

If they didn't change either of those things, I'd really like option 3.

Could mess with internships though.

HSC
Uni Grad
Option 3 means I can actually go overseas and do internships over the summer. Then it means I can just not have a semester 2 and just go for semester 3. :p

leehuan

HSC
I'm really questioning the presence of a trimester scheme.

The interesting part is the 3 courses a trimester. I feel that would speed things up (as in pace, not degree completion) unnecessarily because you still only have 10 weeks, but the counter-cutback of only doing 3 courses... I'm not sure how it will cancel out.

Otherwise, both option 2 and 3 make me cringe because I don't want my winter break less than 3 weeks. That and I'm not sure how a 5 week summer term will work...looks so short.

Option 2's summer term is only good if an increase in the amount of courses get offered in summer happens.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Trimester thing is great tbh, I would really like it.

3 subjects per sem is great.

D94

HSC
N/A
Option 3 is not possible. Count how many weeks are being allocated. This would only be possible if those 2 week breaks were absorbed into the term, meaning they are actually 12 week terms + exams, but if it is intended to be 10 teaching weeks, then there would be no mid-term break, most likely no stuvac or 3 days of stuvac, and a 1.5 to 2 week exam period. All the exams would be crammed. Alternatively, it could be a 10 week teaching term, 1 week stuvac, 1.5 week exam period and 1.5 week break = 14 weeks, but no mid-term break.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
imo an idea

Have like short intensive courses that run for like 5 weeks similar to the summer session where a whole subject is crammmed into that time, 1 exam then repeat 8 times for full time load ez

mreditor16

HSC
imo an idea

Have like short intensive courses that run for like 5 weeks similar to the summer session where a whole subject is crammmed into that time, 1 exam then repeat 8 times for full time load ez
nahhhhhhhhhhhh

leehuan

HSC
If that is the case, then we would definitely have no mid-term break. It would be 10 straight teaching weeks + 2 weeks for exams.
Disgusting..

Red_of_Head

HSC
If that is the case, then we would definitely have no mid-term break. It would be 10 straight teaching weeks + 2 weeks for exams.
I'm happy with the current calendar, but 10 week terms aren't too different from school are they?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
UTS has the trimester scheme already in place and it does shorten degree times
I believe Deakin Uni were one of the first to swap to this model, and they have shorter degree times - but UTS aren't quite there yet as the full range of subjects aren't offered over summer yet.

One of the unsolved (as far as I know) issues with the trimester model at UTS was fitting in mandatory placements such as teaching (they still run old model afaik) and cramming in courses which follow an external curriculum like Cisco subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)