• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW course choices (1 Viewer)

tsjs1992

HSC
Hello everybody !!!!

i was hoping to transfer after my first year
and to do so i ahve to acheive the highest mark possible (duh)
so i was just wondering
if between fundamental chemistry & higher chemistry & basic maths and higher maths
which i should select ocnsidering i got 95 for hsc chem and 98 for 3umaths

currently im swayed towards fundamental/basic (better a hd in an easy course compared to d or c in hard)

do universities consider the course
or only whether you received a good mark

THANKS

deterministic

HSC
If you did 4u maths and got over 90 as well, do MATH1141 as it seems you are good at maths. Otherwise, stick to MATH1131.

Harder courses scales a lot more, and HDs are allocated across both lower and higher courses based on the performance by higher students.

Universities look at WAM + ATAR when transferring.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have a special interest in chem, do higher chem. Fundamental chem is pretty easy to HD if you did HSC chem.

Tim035

HSC
Just think longer term, if your desired major requires advanced chem (which pretty much none of them do, although it is 'recommended' for most 2nd year chem subjects) or MATH1141, then do them obviously. Otherwise I'd stick with the more basic course, employers will honestly never ever look at your academic transcript in that detail when it comes to job seeking time.

Also 'scaling' at uni is not at all comparable to scaling in the HSC, it is quite easy to get a HD in fundamental chem, and I even pulled a HD in MATH1031.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)