unsw credit point transfer (2 Viewers)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Not the commerce one. The science one. Same bureaucracy and procedures, different faculty.

sarevok

HSC
omg, how did you guys enrol in acct2522?

i still can't see any open tutes :'(

5c

HSC
i rang them up abt the tutes eg. acct2522
they sed we should ring up the accouting head office n tell them about our case - to open up a new class or put us into ones that are filled.

rand0m3r

HSC
if i did a credit transfer for mid-year 2005, and then realised now that one of the subjects i transferred isn't actually required in my program, can i somehow un-transfer that subject? i don't want to pay non-award later for it coz i'll be doing more cp than i'm supposed to.

ace

is retired
HSC
rand0m3r said:
if i did a credit transfer for mid-year 2005, and then realised now that one of the subjects i transferred isn't actually required in my program, can i somehow un-transfer that subject? i don't want to pay non-award later for it coz i'll be doing more cp than i'm supposed to.
you've got 7 years of full time study at uni that hecs covers

even if its non-award, unless this is like your 2nd or 3rd degree (under hecs), i'm pretty sure you'll still be under 7 years

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
What is this 7 yr rule? HECS will cover you for a certain number of credit points, anything over becomes full fee rate.

So a 3yr Comm degree, you can complete 144UOC under HECS, if you accidently do one extra subject, you pay full fee for that.

But rand0mr: I suggest you contact Student Central with regards to your question, and get an official answer. You don't want to finish your degree only to realise you might have to pay full-fee for a subject or two, you can't say "But someone on BOS said this and this", it won't help.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
hey usyd transferees..

did you end up getting excemption for qma or qmb or both?

5c

HSC
Eagles said:
hey usyd transferees..

did you end up getting excemption for qma or qmb or both?

i onli did the first stats course at usyd [emct1010] i got qma exempted.. bt i read the outlines for qma n qmb.. i reckon ecmt1010 is more like qmb... bt oh well. i still gotta do one or the other~

rand0m3r

HSC
well i'm actually sorta being shifty... coz after i transferred degrees, i realised that all my old stuff is recorded, regardless of whether it counted to my new degree or not. so i actually wanna untransfer those CA subjects and then i'll have room to do the other CA subjects without paying full-fee... this is the loophole that one of the academic staff hinted to me but i never understood until i transferred and saw my old subjects still on my transcript...

ace

is retired
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
What is this 7 yr rule? HECS will cover you for a certain number of credit points, anything over becomes full fee rate.

So a 3yr Comm degree, you can complete 144UOC under HECS, if you accidently do one extra subject, you pay full fee for that.

But rand0mr: I suggest you contact Student Central with regards to your question, and get an official answer. You don't want to finish your degree only to realise you might have to pay full-fee for a subject or two, you can't say "But someone on BOS said this and this", it won't help.
Its there so people can keep failing, jk. Its the SLE (Student Learning Entitlement). The 7 years is the ordinary SLE. I don't think if you go over 1 subject you'd get charged full fees. Basing this on all the different government uni website information.

I'll do some hunting around and find out what's what. Stay tuned. I'll be posting back here within a day or so.

EDIT: my findings are in the next post

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
for 05students (that is people NOT under the pre05 option), the following should shed some light

(a condensed version of what I asked)

ace:
say for arguments sake you are doing a 3yr commerce degree. say by the time you get to the end of the degree, you've done 3yrs of the requirements, but 2 extra subjects. lets call them either failed subjects and/or non-award. now these other 2 subjects are they covered under the 7 year student learning entitlement, or rather placed on as full fees

**according to the reply from the representative of the department of education science and training (DEST)**

dest lady:
Since you are doing studies with the university, since the SLE doesn't differentiate between failed/non-award/award courses then whatever courses you take consume SLE. That is as long as you still have SLE to consume you'll get charged the applicable rate (hecs-help rate, if your a hecs-help supported individual)

Well that is based on the conversation I just had, lets hope it sticks. What would be helpful, is if anyone on this board has actually done more than say 3yrs worth of subjects in there 3 yr degree and if they could check there hecs/hecs-help statement. Having a real life example of someone could clear some of the confusion caused by all the different departments in charge of these things. Though however this real life example may be fruitless as they would be under the pre05 payments system.

For 05 and onwards students you should have a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

Log-on to MyUniAssist service here
https://www.goingtouni.gov.au/myuniassist/forms/logon.aspx

It should provide information regarding
- Commonwealth supported units
- use of ordinary Student Learning Entitlement (SLE)
- remaining ordinary SLE
- FEE-HELP assistance
- FEE-HELP assistance limit
- use of FEE-HELP assistance
- remaining FEE-HELP assistance

As I am a pre05 student, I don't have a CHESSN. Until I coax someone into giving me theirs, I won't know what the myuniassist site really has on it.

------------------------------------

05pre students

Its a screwed up situation, since we are under the old system (good for us, less to pay), we have been allocated at the start of 2005, SLE of 7years. But the study beforehand (before 05) doesn't count apparently.

Well, the lady said, for pre05 students, to get a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) from the university provider and then you can find out what SLE you have left and so forth.

Heh, since the CHESSN came out with the new system, im not to interested in getting it, cause who knows it might shove me into the 05 onwards option (which costs more)

I'll be chasing that up later on, maybe if i have time

EDIT: Your CHESSN (for UNSW STUDENTS) is under MYUNSW -> My Student Profile -> Financials -> Commonwealth Assistance Notice
(Thanks Gman for the info)

Last edited:

rand0m3r

HSC
i don't quite understand all that stuff you just said. but to sum it up, if i do non-award, will it cost me full-fee?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
They guy at the Student office told me it will take two weeks to be processed.

I wont be getting it/be enrolling into second year subjects until Uni starts :/

ace

is retired
HSC
rand0m3r said:
i don't quite understand all that stuff you just said. but to sum it up, if i do non-award, will it cost me full-fee?
ace said:
Since you are doing studies with the university, since the SLE doesn't differentiate between failed/non-award/award courses then whatever courses you take consume SLE. That is as long as you still have SLE to consume you'll get charged the applicable rate (hecs-help rate, if your a hecs-help supported individual)
So no, it won't cost you full fees. Since your an 05 student, you should have a CHESSN (refer to post above), you can use that to go to the myassist website and determine how much SLE you have left (apparently)

EDIT:Log into myuniassist and it will tell you how much remaining SLE you have (Refer to my previous post for the link/where to get your CHESSN number)

Last edited:

rand0m3r

HSC
the myunsw site only shows commonwealth notices for sem1 and sem2 of 2005. anyway, i used the number to login to the site and it shows i've only used 0.5 of SLE and i have 6.5 left. which is strange becoz i've been to uni for 2 yrs now.

anyway, how do i interpret this info? does it mean i've got 6.5 yrs left of hecs-rate studies left?

ace

is retired
HSC
rand0m3r said:
the myunsw site only shows commonwealth notices for sem1 and sem2 of 2005. anyway, i used the number to login to the site and it shows i've only used 0.5 of SLE and i have 6.5 left. which is strange becoz i've been to uni for 2 yrs now.

anyway, how do i interpret this info? does it mean i've got 6.5 yrs left of hecs-rate studies left?
the myuniassist site, shows it up to jun 31 2005. As the SLE came out in 2005, your 2004 didn't deduct from the SLE. So technically you have 6.0 hecs full time years left (6 years since the 2nd sem of 05 has yet to be counted, but will be counted when they update the site)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)