UNSW Cricket (1 Viewer)

elfm

HSC
Hidiho

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about the UNSW cricket club. There's not much info on the site about it.

I just want to know people's experiences with the club. I'm interested in cricket as a sport but I haven't played it competitively for about 7 years, so I'm quite crap atm :) What's a guy like me supposed to do? I really wanna play but I dunno where to start lol.

thx

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I don't actually play cricket anymore, and I never played with UNSW, but can tell you a bit. I live very close by and like to stick my head out my window and watch. I also have some friends that play for various USNW teams.

Basically - to start - get yourself along to O-Week and pop into the cricket stand. They can give you all the info you need, tell you about teams and training and such.

They train pretty much every afternoon (various teams) on the Village Green (there are cricket nets there). Teams play in Sydney Grade comps, with the UNSW 1sts playing in 1st grade, but they have lots of teams going down to low grades also.

ACtually thats about all I can tell you for sure. So just go to the stand in O-Week. It'll have a big yellow sports association sign that says CRICKET on it... :p

andrew_q

HSC
Yup! come one come all to O-Week!

The Sports stalls are normally lined up on the main walkway closest near the Sam-Cracknell pavillion (Hope I spelt that right) ... which is our cricket oval on campus. But their position may have changed... but in general all sports stalls stick together at O-Week , so just follow the long trail of sports stalls. :)

Last edited:

phrred

HSC
I THINK there are 2 trainings a week for teams in sydney grade and the game on saturday. Those teams go down to the 5ths. Im not sure if UNSW joined the suburban cup this yr coz there were so many ppl tryin out.
The club has been quite successful in the past, producing Michael Slater and Geoff Lawson

elfm

HSC
thanks guys

how hard is it to get into 5th grade? lol

are these the guys that bowl wides and bat like blind men? :p cos that's me :)

tom_330

HSC
N/A
I am also interested in this cricket club. I know how difficult it is to get into this team but unfortunately elfm there is a very low chance you'll be able to get in even at 5th level. UNSW is a grade club so the 1st grade players are sometimes from the Australian team like Stuart McGill who plays for the university of sydney cricket club occasionally. Even at 5th grade which is the lowest you still require alot of skill to gain entry I know this because I've been to a trial for another team that plays in the same grade competition as UNSW which is Randwick-Petersham and the 5th graders are quite good players. So if you want to join this club I suggest training over the next 6 months or so in order to be successful at next seasons trials. Good training I suggest would be to have practice sessions at cricket nets every 2 or 3 days for 2 hours or so per session.

- Tom

Last edited:

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
The thing about sport at uni is it caters for people from all skill levels, from social players, to those who are very skilful.

If you want to play at a social level, there are teams that let you do that. UNSW has two other teams (I think it's two) that don't play in the Sydney grade comps, and you'd have no problems playing for them, if you didn't make it into a grade team.

But anyway, from what I've seen, the quality of some of the cricketers there isnt that special...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)