unsw email via pop3 (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Have you got it working using incoming (pop3?) ie: pop3.student.unsw.edu.au

When it comes to outgoing (smtp) you have to use the smtp server of the ISP you're connected to at the time. The smtp server given is only if you're connected to the UNSW network.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
You have to set the outgoing smtp server as that of your ISP (or domain if you have one).

So if you're with Bigpond (or Optus), set the add their outgoing mail server, and set your unsw account to send out through that. The server names can be found in the ISP help pages online.

gman03

HSC
The UNSW SMTP (i.e. outgoing mail server) doesn't permit some IP address from using it. I am with TPG ADSL with Dynamic IP and it refused mail to be sent from that.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
It will still be from your uni email address if you have that set properly, it's just using a different server.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I just have all my UNSW mail forward to a Gmail account which has pop access.

Vylen

HSC
menty said:
well iv set my outgoing as mail.bigpond.com. If i put in my unsw username and pass it doesnt work. (i cant see why it would anyway)
you use your bigpond username/pass for outgoing along with their outgoing address!

with the way email works, it'll use your unsw email addres as your sender address... just try it out ;)

sunny

meh.
HSC
menty said:
well iv set my outgoing as mail.bigpond.com. If i put in my unsw username and pass it doesnt work. (i cant see why it would anyway)
What people are trying to tell you is it doesn't matter what server you use, the "sender" field of the email will stay the same. You still use the login for mail.bigpond.com - but the sender field of the address will be your Unimail address.

Its like writing a letter and putting your address on the back - you don't have to take it to your local post office (SMTP server) to have it delievered - you can take it to any post office, and either way your address will still be on the back of the letter.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
SMTP servers don't usually require login... my router sends out emails using netspace smtp without any username/password. They just filter out IPs that aren't allocated by that ISP.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
As in getting unimail to forward the mail to another account or sending mail from another serve but with the address still being that of your unimail thing.

I think there was a link somewhere in myUNSW but i forgot where :(

Vylen

HSC
Airness said:
As in getting unimail to forward the mail to another account or sending mail from another serve but with the address still being that of your unimail thing.

I think there was a link somewhere in myUNSW but i forgot where :(
https://www.diy.unsw.edu.au/ go there to have email forwarding... along with pop3/smtp setup instructions for programs such as Outlook and Firefox

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Much appreciate Vylen. THanks.

This is off-topic but is our UniPass just the password we type in for MyUNSW?

http://www.disconnect.unsw.edu.au/student/unipass/zpass4.htm#howint

I didn't get the paper docket shown on that page nor the UniPIN. However, i'm confused by this Unipass. It says its a random series of generated letters but i thought my Unipass was just the password i use to access MyUNSW and unimail etc? =/

Vylen

HSC
Airness said:
Much appreciate Vylen. THanks.

This is off-topic but is our UniPass just the password we type in for MyUNSW?

http://www.disconnect.unsw.edu.au/student/unipass/zpass4.htm#howint

I didn't get the paper docket shown on that page nor the UniPIN. However, i'm confused by this Unipass. It says its a random series of generated letters but i thought my Unipass was just the password i use to access MyUNSW and unimail etc? =/
that only applies for when you request a new UniPass from e-spot.. they give you a docket with a randomly generated password for use in myUNSW...

otherwise, use the one you entered when you created your account...

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Okay. But i still have to get my UniPin i guess.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Airness said:
Okay. But i still have to get my UniPin i guess.
Although different, apparently UniPass replaced UniPin because UniPin was used for something that isn't used anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)