UNSW Engineering Assumed Knowledge HELP (1 Viewer)

Nosviper

HSC
Hey
I have applied for UNSW engineering in Civil, Mechanical and Tellecommunications. I have completed a FEAS interview and from how it went im confident I will be considered for the program.

I am unaware what UAI I will receive but over 88 is defintetely possible for me. So I completed the FEAS program just in case. Im pretty sure I will get over the cut off of 75

Anyway subjects I did for HSC that help me in engineernig were Mathematics, Physics, Engineering studies, Information Processes and Technolgy. I have a strong knowledge of the physics, IPT and engineernig courses. All the subjects are somewhat technical so I have been exposeed to all the basics physics and engineering formulas and concepts. I have been told half the mathematics in first year is not even used.. just difficult to see who can cope. Im tossing up whether to do a bridging course but in some way I feel I Dont need it. I have a mathematics extension 1 book and all of topic notes soo if there is a concept Im not familar with I will just referecnce it..

Those who have done the bridging course and went reletavilty well in 2 unit Mathematics was the bridging course worthwile. ?? At this moment in time I am not considereing it.

My preferences are
1) Civil
2) Mechanics
3) tellecoomuncations
who im pretty much doing civil if I get in.

elfm

HSC
most of the first uni maths you do are topics from ext 2 maths in high school. it'd probably be helpful if you learnt some ext 1 maths either by textbook or bridging course, but many people get by fine just by paying attention in lectures

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
You'll be fine if you work hard in 1st year.

If you think you're going to bludge, consider doing the bridging course :)

They have free tutoring for students who struggle in 1st year maths.

I'm doing civil at unsw too btw, good choice!

HSC
everyone i spoke to said the bridging courses were worthwhile. if nothing else, they get you used to the style of learning at uni, and they also leave out the irrelevant crap from the hsc (eg all that historical rubbish in physics). but yes you shouldn't need it, unless you've got nothing else to do in the holidays

oh and musk defected from unsw to uts, so his opinion may not be 100% objective...

unsw has an excellent engineering factulty generally, and in every faculty of every uni there will be people who have had negative experiences.

it's not too difficult to get into engineering - i have a mate who did feas, didnt turn up to the interview, and got in with a uai of 76, so you don't need to stress too much.

gman03

HSC
Half of first year maths are pretty much from ext2 math. The reset are new theorem which you need to understand on the spot anyway.

For physics, attending might be worth while consider how much in uni physics is missing from high school physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)