UNSW full medicine degree to be offered at Port Macquarie campus (1 Viewer)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Had been talked about for a while, but now it's official - from 2017, there will be places available for students to do the full 6 years of the UNSW BMed/MD at the Port Macquarie campus, with the building of the new Port Macquarie Shared Health Research & Education Centre (PM-SHREC).

Just the initial announcement and no details for today it seems, but I think it's pretty cool that there'll be option for NSW rural students to do all their training regionally/rurally. Will be interesting to see how it's all put into practice from next year.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/he...l-regional-medical-degree-port-macquarie-2017

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/3793524/degree-locked-in/?cs=257

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Does this mean more places? Or just the original amount divided into the Randwick and Port Mq campus?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
If this means more places, then do we have a figure for the number of places that are going to be offered to potentially study undergraduate medicine at this campus?

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Does this mean more places? Or just the original amount divided into the Randwick and Port Mq campus?
If this means more places, then do we have a figure for the number of places that are going to be offered to potentially study undergraduate medicine at this campus?
Copy pasting my response on MSO

"As I said, there are no details on how it would be implemented yet.
However, if I were to speculate, UNSW is capped by the government on the amount of CSP places it can offer (as is every other Australian medical school). So even though UNSW has opened up a new campus doesn't mean the government is granting them more places. So I imagine it would most likely be a reallocation, i.e. some of the students chosen every year from now on would be at the Port Mac campus.

How exactly that allocation would work is yet to be seen. We still don't know how many first years will start there, or how they will be chosen and allocated etc. In good time, I imagine. Fro, the articles it's clear uni itself is still ironing out details of how exactly it'll work atm."

turntaker

HSC
yes i might have a chance now thx

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Can confirm my speculations now, there will be no change in the overall amount of places offered in UNSW Medicine. It's just another option :)

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Whole email from the Medicine Dean if you are bothered to read: (Copy and pasted)
"Dear Students,

For the first time at UNSW, 2017 undergraduate Medicine students will have an opportunity to complete Year 1 and Year 2 (Phase 1) of the program at our Port Macquarie campus. Here they will receive a UNSW standard medical education and have access to the same course content and teaching excellence as Sydney-based students.

This new offer will not increase the overall number of UNSW undergraduate medicine student places, but allow students offered a place the opportunity to study the same innovative program in a rural setting. This offer coincides with the launch of UNSW’s Shared Research and Education Centre (SHREC) - a state-of-the-art facility that holds an anatomy lab, a biochemistry/physiology lab, a pathology museum and a full clinical simulation centre - at the campus. This initiative is in addition to the current option students have of studying years three to six at the Port Macquarie campus. This development will enable students to complete their entire medical degree - from the initial coursework to clinical placements - in regional Australia if they wish to do so.

This development is a major step towards the extension of medical education into rural Australia in which UNSW is a national leader.

In the coming months we will provide more information about the rollout of this program"

bangladesh

HSC
This development is a major step towards the extension of medical education into rural Australia in which UNSW is a national leader.

In the coming months we will provide more information about the rollout of this program"
lel

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Every uni is a "national leader" in everything amirite

To be fair though, 5 rural clinical schools is a high amount, and they're all well staffed and put together and provide rural opportunities for students, so I don't think it's very laughable

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Every uni is a "national leader" in everything amirite

To be fair though, 5 rural clinical schools is a high amount, and they're all well staffed and put together and provide rural opportunities for students, so I don't think it's very laughable
:p UNSW rural teaching is really good! Most people who go rural recommend it and they have alot more hands on experience and clinical knowledge when they return.

Reactions: Oer

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
:p UNSW rural teaching is really good! Most people who go rural recommend it and they have alot more hands on experience and clinical knowledge when they return.
Absolutely, am experiencing that firsthand atm! It's super great

bangladesh

HSC
Absolutely, am experiencing that firsthand atm! It's super great
haha yeah no i am not saying unsw rural is bad at all lol but in reality most medical school's rural clinics have very good teaching and is not limited to unsw. I was more in line with 'every uni thinking they're the best at everything'. If anything I think the leader in rural health education would go to JCU any day. (I'm not a JCU student)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)