UNSW Guaranteed Entry (1 Viewer)

unswman123

HSC
Hi all,
I received an ATAR of 96.20 and got 3 bonus points through the AAA scholarship, making my selection rank 99.20. I received a guaranteed offer for my first preference which had a guaranteed entry rank of 98. I realised that I want to do another course which also has the same guaranteed entry rank. I changed my UAC preferences and didn't receive a confirmation email. Will I still get the offer for my new course?

-------------

Another question for a friend, his ATAR was 98.55 and he has passed the guaranteed entry rank for his course. Now, he put Law as his 1st preference, and the other course (which he surpassed the entry rank to) as his second. He knows he will not make it into Law. Will he still receive an offer to his 2nd?
Basically the question boils down to, "If my guaranteed course is not my first preference, will I still get an offer?"

Thanks heaps guys !!!!

trumanblack

HSC
N/A
The guaranteed entry (to my knowledge) is not really an offer. All it means is that you can chill because your marks will get you into that course. If you've surpassed the cutoff for your first preference you'll get an offer for it when main round offers are on. For your friend, if he doesnt get an offer for law he'll get an offer for his second preference.

P.S I think UNSW only sent an email after ATARs were released and changing your offers may not mean they'll send another email out.

So if you've surpassed the guaranteed entry cut off you're good to go :)

Reading again, a bit confused about your question but offers are determined by the rank of your preferences. If you can get into your 1st preference you'll receive an offer, otherwise your 2nd (if you make it) will give an offer and so on

Last edited:

unswman123

HSC
Thanks!
So to confirm, if 2nd preference reaches the cutoff (ATAR + bonus) then there will be a guaranteeed entry available even if it is not in 1st pref? Because I remember a lot of uni's like UTS say "place this as first pref. to receive offer"

trumanblack

HSC
N/A
If you dont make the first preference but you make the cutoff for your second preference then yes.

Following the above, the reason why they say that("place this as first pref. to receive offer) is because its true. If a course is your first preference and you have guaranteed entry for that course then you'll 100% receive an offer. However, if its anything lower e.g. 3rd, you may not receive an offer because you might have received an offer for either your first or second preference.

Thus, when choosing preferences rank them by how much you want to do that course. Also (directed at everyone tbh) make sure you have at least one course that you have guaranteed entry in - otherwise you might not get any offers at all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)